how long does it take for you to get bored of the games your

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

currently playing? For me it is about 3 months or so untill I get bored of the game I play and then I want to try a different one. I mostly play RTS games and right now I am playing sword of the stars and I find it great but already I am kind of getting bored of it. So how do I not get bored of the games I am playing so easily?

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

do you play against people or ai? i find playing people to be endlessly entertaining and it makes me want to stick to the same game to play it at higher and higher levels of ability.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

For me it depends on the game really, I play it mostly for the story and the suprise elements.

But why you get bored after three months I think depends on what you are looking for in a game.
A challenge? The system? The mistique? Maybe some people to play against?

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

On average, 3-20 days or 200 hours playing it, usually whichever comes first. And then a few months later I'll go back to it. But I tend to play the really long games (like the Disgaea and MegaTen games) and sometimes (like with Pokemon) not even to win. I like exploring the extra content even more than playing the main game sometimes.

I have also found that my attention span is longer with either games that are pretty, games that are complex, or games that are really old. I could pour hours into House of the Dead Overkill (pretty), Disgaea (complex), or FFI (old), but I could not get through the Angry Birds demo, let alone the actual game.

Actually, pretty much anything on iOS has low replay value for me. I guess that's why I tend to buy old "classics" instead of "cell phone" games. And note that my definition of pretty can be more accurately described as "high quality graphics that really show the developers put effort into the visual aspects of the game" than actual beauty. HotDO is actually pretty ugly. But what would you expect from a zombie game? Fluffy kittens?

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

It depends on the game.

For example I'm still playing the first Deus Ex a decade later.
But the second one, I played through once and never played it again.

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

Yeah but for some reqason I don't get bored of games like Jak and Daxter.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

user1001 wrote:
Yeah but for some reqason I don't get bored of games like Jak and Daxter.

It's because games like that are immediate classics. I've never gotten tired of Jak and Daxter, or Ratchet and Clank (as you can obviously tell from my avatar).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

It depends on the game and the other players.

I really liked playing WoW, but gave up after a few months because of all the joke-wads that have lost sight of the fact that there is no real winner in WoW, only survivors.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

Half an hour. Sometimes less. Any game in the metroid series? Never.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

1-2 Weeks at the most. Games that aren't up to par with other games are dropped immediately after playing for awhile. Then I go back to playing my old rpgs like Arcanum.

Docs
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

It does depend on the game, I jump from game to game a lot, most single player games I only play for a few days before I move on.

Only a few exceptions, recently Mass Effect 1&2 really hooked me for some time, I just loved the setting and the idea of different outcomes depending on your choices through the game.

Multiplayer games I'll come back to a lot though, and hook me longer than single player games generally. :)

Zelus
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

SilverShoelaces wrote:
On average, 3-20 days or 200 hours playing it, usually whichever comes first. And then a few months later I'll go back to it. But I tend to play the really long games (like the Disgaea and MegaTen games) and sometimes (like with Pokemon) not even to win. I like exploring the extra content even more than playing the main game sometimes.

I have also found that my attention span is longer with either games that are pretty, games that are complex, or games that are really old. I could pour hours into House of the Dead Overkill (pretty), Disgaea (complex), or FFI (old), but I could not get through the Angry Birds demo, let alone the actual game.

Actually, pretty much anything on iOS has low replay val
ue for me. I guess that's why I tend to buy old "classics" instead of "cell phone" games. And note that my definition of pretty can be more accurately described as "high quality graphics that really show the developers put effort into the visual aspects of the game" than actual beauty. HotDO is actually pretty ugly. But what would you expect from a zombie game? Fluffy kittens?

OMG another NIS America fan that loves killing zombies

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm

For me, it's random.

I dont focus on any single game very well, so I'm usually playing through multiple things in any given time period.

Some things though, will cause me to lose interest fast. Too much story or cutscenes, for instance; alot of recent games focus *way* too much on that sort of thing, to the detriment of the gameplay. Grinding in any game will also instantly kill my interest; anything that NIS makes, for instance. Oh, I *wanted* to like Disgaea.... but that game is the epitome of grinding. Ugh. Just ugh.

It's rare though that I actually FINISH games I start. ....with some exceptions, which I'll tend to stick to. Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress will endlessly hold my attention, for example. As will any shmup (danmaku, mostly) or roguelikes (currently playing Dungeons of Dredmor alot). And fighting games (like BlazBlue) so long as I have actual opponents, specifically opponents who wont just give up immediately.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:03 am

It depends if the game is a special interest for me. I was playing Halo 3 for a few years!

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

some games like resident evil 4 ive played for years and still don't get sick and tired of it.
other games, i play for a week and then do not like.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2011, 5:55 pm

I don't really get bored of games; I generally buy a new game whenever I can and then when I try to go back to the old game, I've forgotten what I was doing or I've forgotten parts of the plot. :lol: