Is the stereotype that people with AS are amazing at math...

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

I was, and always will be, poor at maths. I was in the lowest maths set at high school, and I was so bad at maths that I had to be singled out and taught one-to-one by a special needs assistant. I had to miss other lessons because of it.

But saying that, I've never been very good in any other lessons either. I was only put in the higher set for English because I was good at spelling (I remembering knowing how to spell ''argue'' at the age of 6, which is a hard word for a 6-year-old). Funny, I knew how to spell before the other kids, yet I was quite delayed in reading :? .

The story of my life seems to be that I enjoy things but still aren't good at them. Ever since I was 4 I really loved swimming, and it was my favourite session in school, and I always went with my family too. But I could never swim. I first lifted my feet off the ground and swam when I was about 11, but even from then I've never been a stronger swimmer, whereas most other people who I know have learnt to swim at as young as 2 or 3 years old.

I'm a strange one. :cry:

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

I am a visual person, so i do fine with geometry and physics but i struggle with differential calculus.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

I could never get it. I was getting the hang of fractions finally in 6th grade and then we moved and kids in 7th grade were already doing algebra. It's like they were ahead. They tried to teach it to me but I couldn't get it and wasn't learning so they stopped teaching me it in 8th grade. Maybe if they taught me at the level I was at, I might have eventually gotten it but I was told I wouldn't get it because it was too abstract and I am concrete and that math isn't concrete.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

I hated math. I was horrible at it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:30 pm

Nah, I'm terrible with mathematics. I struggle with abstract concepts like numbers or theory. Though I am hyperlexic, I don't think I do well with words either. I need to be able to imagine things to do things.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

My math skills look something like this:

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

I was always very good at arithmetic. The first problem I encountered was with algebra. I couldn't understand why letters were being used and thought the actual letter had some sort of meaning (symbols would have worked better for me). Once my dad took a few hours to explain it, it really sunk in. I never had a problem again until we did trigonometry and calculus (real mathematics, not arithmetic). I never knew which formula to use for which problem, but I managed to pass, even at an advanced level.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Maths was the only subject at school that I felt comfortable with. I am pretty good at it.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

My problem with maths is remembering details during integration, differentiation and other advanced math stuff.. also I mess up the plus, minus and other signs. I though it was because I was absent minded but I remember reading that it could be because of math learning disabilities. Other wise I enjoy doing math esp trigonometry and probability.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

I am excellent at math. I'm unsure if Aspies are as a group better than the general public, but I think that because math is more logial than emotional that people associate it with Asperger's and Autism in general.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

I think it is a stereotype. Not everyone with AS is a math or science genius. I'm definitely not and can only do basic arithmetic. I did well in math in elementary school but struggled a lot with it in high school and college.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

Whenever someone brings up that sterotype, I want to strangle them. I was always told I could never be a veternarian because I had so much trouble with math. Needless to say I lost all my modivation, not just in school but in life as well.

Chibs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Apart from the simple stuff, I'm pretty bad at it. Hate it too.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

I'm definitely more of a creative, artistic Aspie than a logical, intellectual one!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

I always had trouble with arethamitic, but I find algebra a breeze.

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

12 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

I'm good at math and used to like it. Until my math teacher moved me from an honors class to a regular class because I was "immature". I hate how many people in the non-honors class don't care about math.