Are you more sensitive to the heat or the cold?

Page 6 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Which are you more sensitive to?
Heat 48%  48%  [ 126 ]
Cold 34%  34%  [ 89 ]
Both 15%  15%  [ 38 ]
Neither 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 260

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2011, 8:45 am

I hate sweaty wet weather It makes me feel claustrophobic it makes me wanna strip off and run around outside. I can't stand if the heating is on or someone is cooking in the kitchen and it get too hot or if i have a coat on indoors I normally freak out and have to go stand outside in the cold makes me feel better.
I like when it's summer and I can go out in barely anything at all like a bikini top and shorts Makes me feel good, I seriously get annoyed with bulky clothes.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 9:01 am

I'm from the Deep, Deep South and I'm used to the heat. I am perfectly fine in 101 degree weather with very high humidity, with that air thats so thick it feels like a weight on you. If it goes below 60, I wear a coat and I'm freezing. Luckily we only have about three months of really cold weather, but I hate it.

In winter, to be able to handle it better, when I'm cold and have to go outside, I pretend I'm in another country a long time ago and used to it.

One aspect of winter that I do like is being able to use the fireplace. We have gas logs and so it's simple to have a fire anytime I want one. This year it's not lighting, so I have to get the gas company out to look at it and see what's wrong. I also like winter nights where I can sleep under lots of heavy blankets. I love sleeping in the freezing cold, snuggled down in bed. I like having the heat off at night so my face is cold but the rest of me is warm. My poor husband has to get up and turn the heat on in the morning in a cold house.

In the summer, if you aren't from here or used to this, this heat can really hurt you. People not from here get heatstroke and dehydration a lot. It's just too hot to be outside for some, but this past summer, I spent almost every day in the back yard in a lawn chair laying out in the sun from about 11 to 2. I got black almost! It's hot, but I bring an empty spray bottle of ice water and spray myself. I also bring a fan out there to blow on me and a big glass of ice water of Coke. And a radio, and a book. And my cell phone. And my cigarettes and an ashtray because it doesn't rain much and I don't want to set the yard on fire. And a table for all of that. Once I get all that out there, I'm not going anywhere for several hours.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

I'm super sensitive to temperatures. I've passed out a few times from the heat, but I absolutely can't stand how the cold air goes right through me (I'm quite thin and it's tough to gain weight.). So it's really a lose-lose either way. Overall, though, I actually prefer the heat. At least then I can just sit in front of a fan. Blankets don't work as well in the winter for warming up. I really prefer temperatures in the 80s more than anything else. Oh, and humidity. I hate dry air no matter what time of year it is.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think this doesn't just occur in Aspies. A lot of people either hate the cold or hate the heat. Others aren't too bothered. Most people I know seem to hate the heat. But I get so hypersensitive to the cold, and I don't think it's low blood pressure. I think it's my body size, which is very skinny.

How true. I'm always cold. And I neither have AS nor am I remotely skinny!!

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2011, 5:12 pm

I don't know if I have AS, but I have mild sensorial issues. I really hate the heat, it feels sticky on my skin, I can't breathe, I hate all the sweating and my clothes feel like if they were medieval armors; I'm pretty insensitive to the cold, I wear summer clothes all year and even now that I live in north Europe I've had people asking me how I could wear short sleeves without freezing. My boyfriend (AS) can't stand the cold, but he also dislikes wearing clothes :lol:

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm

Cold. I can't even go to the beach on a really hot day because the wind is too cold and I wear sweaters in 70+ degree heat because the slightest breeze chills me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Dec 2011, 1:27 am

So I was hanging out in my mother's bedroom with my mother and my niece, and starting to sweat from the heat. I'm actually uncomfortable, and I say, "I need to go, it's too warm in here." And both of them protest that the bedroom is freezing. So I remind my mother that the cold was actually nearly intolerable for her outside in a heavy coat with shoes, and I was wearing jeans, t-shirt, and no shoes, and perfectly comfortable.

I don't know what the actual temperature was in there, but it was definitely below 70 degrees. I wonder if I should talk to my doctor about my heat intolerance. It wasn't as bad as during the summer, as I do tend to adapt upward as the weather gets warmer, but I still prefer cold over warm, and anything above 50-60 degrees is often too much.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 2:10 am

dianthus wrote:
Another thing I hate about the cold, is not just the cold itself but having to wear layers of clothes to stay warm. I can get overheated in too many clothes so I keep adding/subtracting layers all day, too hot with this on, oops no I'm too cold if I take it off. After awhile I just want to take everything off, it feels like the clothes are too heavy, like they are weighing me down.

I especially can't stand wearing socks, they make my feet feel too hot and sort of prickly. I never wear socks except when it's cold enough to wear boots.

Same here about layers. They agitate me and make me feel like just not doing much of anything.

The Tigress wrote: you have no motivation. Same here. I do force myself to do something even though I feel like hibernating.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

I can't deal with heat. I don't particularly like cold, but I don't hate it either. I like curling up in my duvet at this time of year surrounded by fuzzy toys.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

I hate the heat, horrible stuff!

Cold is great though especially walking in snow covered hills, I ran up Cairn Gorm topless once while on holiday in Scotland when the temperature was -15c

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

I get cold pretty easily. I live in Wisconsin and when it hits 50F, there are people who put on shorts. I am still in jeans when it's 90F. After I finish my Bachelor's, I want to move to Texas for grad school. Even in the winter, when it's 65F in the house, I'm still wearing a sweatshirt or my Snuggie. Oddly enough, I cannot sleep in a warm bedroom.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

I'm very sensitive to heat, especially the humidity. I actually prefer summer over winter but I'm very prone to suffering from heat stroke if it's really hot, I don't drink a lot of fluids though that could be why. I hate sweating and I tend to get over-heated and sweat a lot.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

Cold! It's winter here (New Zealand) and my body aches so much. The cold feels like it burns my skin. It's horrible. I really have to watch my mental health a lot too in the winter as it goes down hill very fast. I have my worst meltdowns during winter. And I hate the feel of winter woolies against my skin but have to wear them to keep warm. I so envy the rich people in my area who go overseas during the winter... then come back here for our summer... I should ask if they need me to carry their bags :lol:

cbeckmandc
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

I like heat. I lived in Latin America for 3 years and loved the heat. Cold, on the other hand, makes me cry like a school girl. Seriously. I'm a 42 year old man. You don't want to see me cry like a school girl.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

I am only sensitive to cold weather in the sense that I just can barely stand it when it is 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I would rather have it be too hot (i.e. 90+ degrees Fahrenheit) than have it be too cold (i.e. < 30 degrees Fahrenheit) outside. This is probably becausemy biological mom's side of the family originated from the southern part of the U.S. (which is closer to the equator than where I am right now and is thus more welcoming of hot weather than those originating from the more northern parts of the U.S.).

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

I don't notice cold for hours until my bones are cold and start aching
As long as it's not humid, I've been completely fine in 42C for hours...
BUT I have a tendency to forget to drink :? so get dehydrated frequently :oops: