Ready-made mashed potato in a tub is still disgusting

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

It's true. I've just made some, just to try it.

I was greeted with this disgusting, thick, vile light green paste that's more useful for throwing about the place. Tasted it, and it doesn't taste anything like potato at all but very strongly of dodgy bits of onion.

Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Are you sure it wasn't actually guacamole?

Last edited by Grisha on 13 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

No - actually it wasn't a dissimilar colour to puke. Ugh. Awful slop. Probably gets served up regularly in NHS hospitals up and down the country.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

That sounds horrible. Considering that even homemade mashed potatoes are kind of nasty after they've been stored a day, I do not doubt you.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Green? Did you get those spuds from big box place? I only get mine from a small grocer and have been happy since.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 5:49 pm

Ever had Mr. Mash?

This is ready-made mashed potato, but it's flakes of 'potato' that require you to add a certain amount of water/milk and then let it sit for the flakes to absorb the fluid - this is not mashed potato by any stretch of the imagination, it tastes like what I'd imagine the water that's been used to boil potatoes might taste like and it's texture is like thin baby food. It comes in a box and normally found in very cheap food stores - seriously, cheap frozen food stores round here (aka scum-land) like Heron or Farmfoods won't even stock this stuff.

What's REALLY bad about Mr. Mash is the child on the back of the pack - really scary somewhat photoshopped little girl with uber freckles, uber ginger curly hair in bunches and mutant green eyes. Her image has brought about terror in many a grown man.

Who the hell decided that boiling potatos was so hard anyway?
Rhetorical question, as I'm sure I watched a documentary on the 'food revolution' of the 70's/80's that explained this mind-set.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Who the hell decided that boiling potatos was so hard anyway?
Rhetorical question, as I'm sure I watched a documentary on the 'food revolution' of the 70's/80's that explained this mind-set.

It was earlier than the 70s. Ever see those 50s recipes that are like, "Mix a can of x with a box of y and voila!"

http://tucsoncitizen.com/retroflections ... the-1950s/