Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:08 am

Do you find that you use your imagination more than other people your age, just as much or not as much as others?

Mine is very strong for a 17 year old according to most people.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2011, 4:17 am

I don't know where the myth came from that Aspies have less imagination, I certainly have far too much imagination for my own good and people are left going "What?"

Anyway, I hate writing short posts but there isn't really much more I can say on this...

Bye :P

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

Rich-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:34 am

I can have a lot of imagination, tough at most in a way, that it would be good for writing fiction books, movie scripts, coming up with game concepts and maybe songs kinda.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Aug 2011, 4:36 am

I think the myth comes from our lack of interest in playing imaginary games with other children. Personally, in addition to the social issues Asperger's presents, I didn't/don't like playing imagination games with others because their imaginations are so boring compared to mine.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:03 am

Yes. I have an extremely active imagination. Since I am an inventor, that works out quite well.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 5:41 am

Very active....... Which makes it possible to think of a heap of things to go wrong, which serves my anxiety well.

Dreams are very very vivid and the oddest things are in them.

A riding instructor once told me to use my imagination to write books instead of using it to make myself suffer.

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2011, 6:47 am

I think maybe our imagination is slightly more concrete and grounded in reality, which represents our thinking at large.

I found than when I was little, other children either wanted to play at imitating social roles (which I had no interest in,) or play games involving concepts that were so abstract as to make no sense to me.

I read a bit of The Silmarillion by Tolkein the other day, and I put it down after it said something like "Melkor made the rivers freeze with his hatred..." What a stupid nonsensical world we would live in if people could make rivers freeze with their hatred, I can't begin to list all the contradictions that this would lead to.

Or maybe I just have no limagination :?

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:54 am

I have always been good at imagining things. I created my own fantasy worlds and people to populate them. I always think up silly theories that provide alternative explanations to very simple phenomena (it's more fun in practice than it sounds in theory >.>).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2011, 8:06 am

I would call myself fairly imaginative. I'm another who creates fantasy worlds, complete with geography, language, customs, etc. I used to draw maps, but I kept losing them. There was one copy of a map that I had on a computer but that vanished when I fried that computer.

I did a bit of imaginative play as a child with others, but inevitably they wouldn't want to play with me. I tended to want to boss people around.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Azmodania
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

Artros wrote:
I always think up silly theories that provide alternative explanations to very simple phenomena.

I tend to do that too.
And then enjoy observing the survivability of them against each other.

I remember the Dungeons & Dragons (pen+paper) era and that I had so much fun drawing the world and figuring out which people/tribes/creatures would live where and why. Politics also, even though I do not like real life politics at all.
The different inhabitants would then evolve like it was a real world in my head.

That was all relatively easy.
Problems arose when I had to act out the encounters.
Internal panics even though I had everything figured out.
I just did not know what to say (praise to oozes and the like for not having speech).

Luckily I figured out that I could ask someone else from the group to play certain roles and also ways to make the players interact alot, fading me to the background just providing material for discussion.

But yes, I reckon I have imagination :)

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

I also have a good imagination too! But I struggle to express it. I have a lot of trouble with my storyboarding homework because of that.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2011, 9:38 am

Personally, I think my imagination is my strongest asset. When I was a child I was on my own a lot and my imagination was my playmate, so to speak. Furthermore, I loved playing pretend with other children, but I didn't want to play house or any other game based in reality; I wanted to play fantasy/superheroes/science fiction games, usually where I made up the story as I went along rather than based on anything in particular. I also made up stories combining characters in TV shows with my brother; they didn't call it fanfiction back then but that's basically what it was.

I think that where they get the idea that AS people have no imagination is because we're literal thinkers in real life situations. That doesn't mean we can't have rich imaginary worlds.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

Ive always had quite the imagination... which is hard to express in words for others to understand... my thoughts are to abstract for most of my friends to comprehend...

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

I've always had a broad imagination, but all my thoughts (and even fantasies, including sexual ones) had to be based on reality. Maybe that means my imagination isn't as nutty as most other kids, but then again, truth is stranger than fiction.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

I have a very wild imagination for an adult. I was looking through my old sketch books and I'm astonished bythe imagination that went into those drawings.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

I'd say I'm pretty clearly creatively gifted. I have won contests for creative writing, and I have five or so unpublished novels waiting for me to get the thermals for publishing them.

In my case as a child I played pretend more than most children. I would carry twist tye people with me everywhere I went and act out stories with them. In school I got into trouble for pretending to be an animal instead of doing schoolwork. At recess I had a couple of friends who I'd play pretend with all recess long, though I usually dictated everyone's roles.

That's part of why I think I have Newson Syndrome.