Does It PO any of you when you hear social skills are>int

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jaideybug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

sts. Lol. Anyways, I hate it. I don't want to talk to individuals who have 0 interests shared with me. People that make fun of me saying things about how roblox and pokemon are for a younger age group (even though im 13). Also, Roblox inspired me to study computer science in college. Atleast it has educational value. Long story short: Kids these days are low.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

It bugs me, yeah. It's frustrating when people say it, like they assume social skills are easy for everybody.

If it makes you feel any better, I have college-age NT friends who are into My Little Pony, Legos, Pokemon... Once you get past the teen years, people don't pick on you so much for liking "childish" things.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

an old phrase among many people:

"it's not what you know, it's WHO you know..."

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

If I were to make a list of the top 5 thinks that bother me about other people's beliefs, this is definitely one of them.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

This makes me feel kind of despairing. I just put it out of my mind and hope it's not true.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 12:43 am

On the contrary, I often judge people based on their intelligence then feel bad about it. The amount and kinds of intelligence you have is largely a matter of sheer luck, whether it's genetics or your environment early in your life. By the time you have the ability to try to enhance your own intelligence, it's mostly already set. So smart people didn't really earn it, and it's not a person's fault if they're stupid.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 4:31 am

Yeah, you can't really judge anybody by how smart they are.

But I do reserve the right to avoid people who think learning is boring and refuse to engage in it. I don't mean like you have to be some kind of brainiac; in fact, your brain's processing power is beside the point. It's just that you should be taking some interest in the world, figuring out new things. It doesn't matter if you have to take it at your own pace or if you're not studying some academic subject. I just don't think you're interesting unless you like to learn new things, even if it's training dogs or doing people's hair or growing the perfect rose bush. Heck, even interacting with the world in general--touching and seeing things, looking at what's around you and experiencing it--is a kind of learning. People who sleep through life and never try to learn anything had better have an awfully good excuse, or I won't think very much of them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2011, 4:38 am

I value good intentions above intellectual ability.

Smart is great, but given the choice, I'd rather spend time with a nice but dim person than a nasty but bright person. Even someone like that will have their own little worlds going on, and can open up vistas hitherto unknown to me.

But a nasty person is just a waste of skin. And if they're smart, then it's even worse, as they don't even have the excuse of not knowing better!

Of course, a nice AND intelligent person is a real boon to know.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 4:39 am

I think both shared interests and social skills are important. I can't imagine having much of a friendship with anybody who didn't have both, though I don't ask for a lot of either......just a bit of overlap on the hobbies, and a bit of warmth and sensitivity on the social side, and we should be fine.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 4:40 am

I find most people pretty stupid actually, and I am not going to take myself out of that statement either.

Low IQ is one thing and can be excused, but gross stupidity like the woman who walks down a darkened alleyway alone because it cuts 15 seconds off her walk time to her car can not be considered high-functioning. A deer would not get into a lift with a lion would it?

I think the main cause of this is because most people assume "it wont happen to them", and it isn't just women who are like this, men are pretty stupid as well, especially when we do insane challenges that we have no aptitude for to show off.

You are right in saying IQ is a lottery and based on pure luck, but choices aren't. Choices based on abject stupidity are still idiotic choices, and plenty of supposedly intelligent people make them.

@Jaidey, I had no idea what this topic was about when clicking on the title, I assumed it was something about intelligence and not about interests until it became apparent, you might want to sort that out :)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 4:49 am

Incidentally, I'm reading "The Unwritten Rules Of Social Relationships", and in the book the authors argue that this two should be treated equally. Today's environment tend to focus on the first, sacrificing the development of abilities coming from special interests of children with ASD that would form a strong basis for a good carrier.