Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Namazu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2011, 12:26 am

Does music move you deeply? Does it fill you with longing, pain, joy, sadness? Do you feel rather than just hear music? It speaks to me in a way that is hard to describe; especially classical. In my dreams I sometimes hear symphonies that I've never heard in the waking world; but to my dismay I can never remember them long enough to sequence them on my computer. I've read somewhere that this is how Mozart wrote music. He would hear the entire symphony in his dreams. Unfortunately I am no prodigy and I do not possess total recall.

I feel an ache inside of me everytime I hear a particularly moving part in a well written piece. I feel overwhelmed by the depth and sheer variety of the emotions that flood into me, it is incredible. Do any of you have any of these things happen to you? I hope I'm not insane or something. Is it normal to FEEL music; or dream of unwritten compositions? :oops:

and scattered them across the night sky
Blessings unto thee, Brother Cat. - anonymous poet

ci
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

I think yes it speaks to the minds part of the soul or the soul part of the mind.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

it is interesting, I naturally feel music emotionally, but only great music with genius composition, engineering, or something else that clicks with also appeals to my mind. There's so much going on, and you can't help but for a milisecond(or maybe more if you can't let it go and you have to rewind repeatedly to re-hear it) and wonder why the artist or composer did what they did, or how they did do what they did, but when this happens to me, it adds to my perspective in how I see music and the possibilities of it.

Intriguing my intellect and changing my perspective are also accompanied by great emotions, so I guess it's both? I'm sort of confusing myself now as to which comes before, and which follows which.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 2:45 am

Depends on what you consider a soul, but yes I feel music.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2011, 4:17 am

I feel that too, but it's rather misdirected. For example a song that every time made me sad when I listened to it. I looked up its meaning and its meant to be a happy song :S puzzling... I prefer not to look up songs now as they crash my ideals :P

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

Namazu

16 Aug 2011, 6:17 am

I was using the word soul figuratively.

and scattered them across the night sky
Blessings unto thee, Brother Cat. - anonymous poet

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 7:37 am

for me; yes, definately.
not only that, but is moves and activates me for different tasks. also, being a musician, my body works at the rythm of the music, so if i need to walk/cycle somewhere fast, i'd put on some up-beat metal while trying to read and relax asks for some environmental sounds...

that being said; this doesn't count for what goes for music these days; radio stations, music tv channels, bars, discos... the crap i hear there only triggers one emotion: the deep desire to horribly kill whoever made that junk...

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

Yes.

Music can move me to tears or joy. It both reflects and creates emotions. It stirs the heart and the memory.

And it resonates deeply inside, I would say that the human response to music is one indicator for the existence of the soul.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

music affects my emotions, so I guess it speaks to my soul. and I can get stuck on a song because I like the way it makes me feel.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

I freaking love music! :hail:

But yes I do feel music as well as hear it......nothing like a song so deep it gives you goosebumps. It is one of the few things that really makes me feel alive. I actually recently went to a 5$ Death Metal concert at this really ghetto venue normally used for underground Punk Shows because my cousins boyfriend was doing vocals and guitar for one of the bands and that was pretty fun...I got stuck in a bit of a mosh pit for a couple minutes. At one point a there was a bowl going around in the audience so I got contact high which just added to it.

Death metal is not for everyone, but yeah music allows me to just enjoy myself for a while without any obesessive worries going through my mind

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 5:04 pm

There are some pieces which I feel strongly connected to. They express some emotion or some feeling, they paint a picture. These pieces are very special, and if I play them on the piano, I can really get into them very strongly. I ignore all the performance notes in the text and just do what feels right. This can be very liberating.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2011, 1:12 am

It speaks to my soul. I have songs that I listen to for every emotion I ever felt. Whenever I listen to my favorite music I always get lost in the lyrics and the chaotic melodies of drums and guitars.

paradoxicalSpiral
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2011, 3:16 am

Certain riffs or parts of songs cause the eargasm. Like prickleys on your your skin for a lack of better description.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
But yes I do feel music as well as hear it......nothing like a song so deep it gives you goosebumps.

Yes yes! That's my standard definition for "awesome song:" gives me sine chills on my lower back that cascade up to my neck. Dolly Parton's "Jolene" always does this to me, and makes me cry too.

I saw Bardo Pond open up for Godspeed YBE once, and it was weird ... every song Bardo Pond was very predictable: starts quiet then hits you like a ton of bricks. Every song, same pattern. Every song, goose bumps and spine tingling halfway through. every song, wtf?

My favorite musical feelings are the bass waves, when you can literally feel them moving through your body, scrambling your guts up. Low E on a bass has a soundwave 27 1/2 feet long from pressure peak to peak, rumbling through you at 1130 feet per second.