Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:02 am

Found this excerpt online, I'm now going to link to it every time someone misrepresents what libertarians actually stand for. I'm particularly tired of distancing myself from Ayn Rand and her adherents, social conservatives, anarchists and the like, and this short piece does all of that quite well.

Quote:
At it’s root, libertarianism is about a default preference for the freedom to peaceably pursue happiness as we define it without interference from government. It’s the belief that the burden of proof should rest not on the individual who wants to sell lemonade, paint his or her house purple, hop on an airplane, ingest intoxicants, or marry someone from the same sex (though preferably not in that order) but on any government seeking to thwart or control such victimless activities. Like the magazine we write for, we agitate for the aspirational goal of “free minds and free markets,” celebrating a world of expanding choice — in lifestyles, identities, goods, work arrangements, and more — and exploring the institutions, policies, and attitudes necessary for maximizing their proliferation. We are happy warriors against busybodies, elites, and gatekeepers who insist on dictating how other people should live their lives. Like John Stuart Mill, we’re big on “experiments in living.” Within the broadest possible parameters, we believe that you should be able to think what you want, live where you want, trade for what you want, eat what you want, smoke what you want, and wed whom you want. You should also be willing to shoulder the responsibilities entailed by your actions. Those general guidelines don’t explain everything, and they certainly don’t mean that there aren’t hard choices to make, but as basic principles, they go a hell of a long way to creating a world that is tolerant, free, prosperous, vibrant, and interesting.

Followed by:

Quote:
It’s not about Ayn Rand or anti-communism or big business or hard money or even non-coercion. It’s because I want us all to live in a world that is “tolerant, free, prosperous, vibrant, and interesting.”

The attribution is complicated as it's an excerpt from a book being quoted in the context of a review, this is where I found it.

http://nobodysbusinessblog.com/2011/08/ ... ts-part-1/

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

Is that what they actually stand for? Because to me it just looks like what they claim they stand for.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

Obres wrote:
Is that what they actually stand for? Because to me it just looks like what they claim they stand for.

The underlying assumption of libertarians is that honest folk over the age of moral accountability are able to govern there own affairs and that government is needed primarily to enforce public order, deter/punish those who initiate fraud, theft, violence or other overt wrong-doing and to maintain a systems of courts, a police force and an armed force to defend the nation against external aggressors.

Government does exist to feed the hungry, cloth the naked, house the homeless and only in extreme cases is government to help the helpless (such as children).

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

The Libertarian Party teaches that the poor do not even have a right to a cup of cold water.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

The trouble is where one draws the line in considering what are "victimless" activities. I would agree that government should not be involved with protecting people from themselves. However, a lot of libertarians seem to rely on this principle where it no longer applies on the macro-economic level. Arguing, for instance, that large banks which are a vital life-support for the entire economy should be allowed to fail through their own greed and stupidity.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
The Libertarian Party teaches that the poor do not even have a right to a cup of cold water.

Have you ever had any other usernames on WP? Are you doing this for friends that may be from ZOMG when it existed or friends on I2 or other forums of the sort?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Does any of us have that right?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

More like: the poor do not have the right to get their water by acts of force or violence.

But neither do the rich.

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Depriving the poor of a cup of drinking water violates the gleaning laws.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Obres wrote:

First: Why assume there is a difference? Not everyone is a stinking liar.

Second: Given what Libertarianism is expected to be, should one assume there is uniformity of vision?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Depriving the poor of a cup of drinking water violates the gleaning laws.

Let me make it more simple for us: Let's imagine you were the only person on Earth capable of giving glasses of cold water. Must you give classes of cold water to billions of people 24/7 until they all have had what they needed?

If the answer is no, then we must conclude that not everybody has that subjective and absolute right to receive a cup of cold water.

If the answer is yes, then please explain how are you planning to accomplish that task and when.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Firstly, I was talking about libertarianism, not the Libertarian Party. Secondly; evidence, please?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

I rather like this piece by Penn Jillette, in fact I borrowed a bit of it for my new signature. Enjoy.

Penn Jillette wrote:
I try to claim that I was friends with the genius Richard Feynman. He came to our show a few times and was very complimentary, and I had dinner with him a couple times, and we chatted on the phone several times. I'd call him to get quick tutoring on physics so I could pretend to read his books.

No matter how much I want to brag, it's overstating it to call him a friend. I would never have called him to help me move a couch. I did, however, call him once to ask how we could score some liquid nitrogen for a Letterman spot we wanted to do. He was the only physicist I knew at the time. He explained patiently that he didn't know. He was a theoretical physicist and I needed a hands-on guy, but he'd try to find one for me.

About a half-hour later a physics teacher from a community college in Brooklyn called me and said, "I don't know what kind of practical joke this is, but a Nobel Prize-winning scientist just called me here at the community college, gave me this number, and told me to call Penn of Penn & Teller to help with a Letterman appearance."

I guess that's close to a friend.

My friend Richard Feynman said, "I don't know." I heard him say it several times. He said it just like Harold, the mentally handicapped dishwasher I worked with when I was a young man making minimum wage at Famous Bill's Restaurant in Greenfield, Massachusetts.

"I don't know" is not an apology. There's no shame. It's a simple statement of fact. When Richard Feynman didn't know, he often worked harder than anyone else to find out, but while he didn't know, he said, "I don't know."
I like to think I fit in somewhere between my friends Harold and Richard. I don't know. I try to remember to say "I don't know" just the way they both did, as a simple statement of fact. It doesn't always work, but I try.

Last week I was interviewed for Piers Morgan's show (which used to be Larry King's show). Piers beat me up a bit for being an atheist (that's his job) and then beat me up a bit for being a libertarian (also his job). He did this by asking me impossible questions, questions that none of us, Harold, Richard, me, (or Piers), could ever answer.

He started with "How did you get here?" and I started talking about my road to showbiz and atheism and he interrupted and said he meant how the universe was created. I said, "I don't know."

He said, "God," an answer that meant Piers didn't know either, but he had a word for it that was supposed to make me feel left out of his enlightened club.

Then he asked me what we could do to help poor people. I said I donated money, food, medical care, and services and he said, "No," he meant, what could society do to solve the problem of poor people. Again, I was stumped.

He said the government had to do it, which I interpreted as another way of saying he didn't know, but he thought that made me look mean ... even though I do care and do try to help.

What makes me libertarian is what makes me an atheist -- I don't know. If I don't know, I don't believe. I don't know exactly how we got here, and I don't think anyone else does, either. We have some of the pieces of the puzzle and we'll get more, but I'm not going to use faith to fill in the gaps. I'm not going to believe things that TV hosts state without proof. I'll wait for real evidence and then I'll believe.

And I don't think anyone really knows how to help everyone. I don't even know what's best for me. Take my uncertainty about what's best for me and multiply that by every combination of the over 300 million people in the United States and I have no idea what the government should do.

President Obama sure looks and acts way smarter than me, but no one is 2 to the 300 millionth power times smarter than me. No one is even 2 to the 300 millionth times smarter than a squirrel. I sure don't know what to do about an AA+ rating and if we should live beyond our means and about compromise and sacrifice. I have no idea. I'm scared to death of being in debt. I was a street juggler and carny trash -- I couldn't get my debt limit raised, I couldn't even get a debt limit -- my only choice was to live within my means. That's all I understand from my experience, and that's not much.

It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness.

People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint.

People try to argue that government isn't really force. You believe that? Try not paying your taxes. (This is only a thought experiment -- suggesting on CNN.com that someone not pay his or her taxes is probably a federal offense, and I'm a nut, but I'm not crazy.). When they come to get you for not paying your taxes, try not going to court. Guns will be drawn. Government is force -- literally, not figuratively.

I don't believe the majority always knows what's best for everyone. The fact that the majority thinks they have a way to get something good does not give them the right to use force on the minority that don't want to pay for it. If you have to use a gun, I don't believe you really know jack. Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.

How did we get here and how do we save everyone? I don't know, but I'm doing the best I can. Sorry Piers, that's all I got.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/16/j ... index.html

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

I'd build the worlds biggest nuclear reactor and start blowing up hydrogen bombs in it. This ought to give me plenty of energy to desalinate the entire worlds water supply.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Found this excerpt online, I'm now going to link to it every time someone misrepresents what libertarians actually stand for. I'm particularly tired of distancing myself from Ayn Rand and her adherents, social conservatives, anarchists and the like, and this short piece does all of that quite well.

Quote:
At it’s root, libertarianism is about a default preference for the freedom to peaceably pursue happiness as we define it without interference from government. It’s the belief that the burden of proof should rest not on the individual who wants to sell lemonade, paint his or her house purple, hop on an airplane, ingest intoxicants, or marry someone from the same sex (though preferably not in that order) but on any government seeking to thwart or control such victimless activities. Like the magazine we write for, we agitate for the aspirational goal of “free minds and free markets,” celebrating a world of expanding choice — in lifestyles, identities, goods, work arrangements, and more — and exploring the institutions, policies, and attitudes necessary for maximizing their proliferation. We are happy warriors against busybodies, elites, and gatekeepers who insist on dictating how other people should live their lives. Like John Stuart Mill, we’re big on “experiments in living.” Within the broadest possible parameters, we believe that you should be able to think what you want, live where you want, trade for what you want, eat what you want, smoke what you want, and wed whom you want. You should also be willing to shoulder the responsibilities entailed by your actions. Those general guidelines don’t explain everything, and they certainly don’t mean that there aren’t hard choices to make, but as basic principles, they go a hell of a long way to creating a world that is tolerant, free, prosperous, vibrant, and interesting.

Followed by:

Quote:
It’s not about Ayn Rand or anti-communism or big business or hard money or even non-coercion. It’s because I want us all to live in a world that is “tolerant, free, prosperous, vibrant, and interesting.”

The attribution is complicated as it's an excerpt from a book being quoted in the context of a review, this is where I found it.

http://nobodysbusinessblog.com/2011/08/ ... ts-part-1/

That's a nice little self-declaration. I can imagine a social democrat comming up with a similar statement saying "I don't believe in giving to the lazy, I believe in helping the unfairly disadvantaged reach their full potential" or a conservative stating "I don't believe in micromanaging people's personal lives, I just believe in upholding the morals necessary to maintain a stable society". The problem is that all all-meaining maxims, even an "predisposition against government interference", have unintented consequences or potential unintended consequences when actually applied.

It's also funny that this guy draws inspiration from John Stuart Mill, as Mill is one of the people responsible for the social welfare orientation of modern liberalism in Anglo-American countries.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Firstly, I was talking about libertarianism, not the Libertarian Party. Secondly; evidence, please?

Okay, given that you disregard the closest thing to an organization representing the consensus among libertarians as representative of libertarianism, you've made it impossible to support any generalizations about libertarians. That is because you've made it clear earlier that you don't trust polling data (unless you've changed your mind on that issue).