Yes 80%  80%  [ 61 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Do not know / Not found one yet 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 76

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 7:43 am

This is not a post meant to alienate anyone, and beat with sticks those of us who cannot work out in 1 millionth of a second the square root of 974,012,750,197,501,689,162,710,578,628,019,740,175 but a simple question of if you can do anything not recognised as normal, whether it be reading backwards like Leonardo da Vinci...

For myself i have always been able to build up a crystal clear image of something in my mind, and then take that image and "x-ray" it, twist and turn it, zoom in and out and scale it up like a CAD drawing, and manipulate it in many other ways so I can usually figure out how things work pretty quickly, from nuts and bolts to stars and galaxies.

But if I see 3 golden apples on a wall I am left wondering where the beer is. (I cannot do numbers since there is no visual cue to grasp)

Can you do anything, regardless of whether it is translating War & Peace in Klingon or remembering a piece of music note for note only having heard it once?

[By the way, the square root of 974,012,750,197,501,689,162,710,578,628,019,740,175 is 31,209,177,339,326,040,000 ;)]

Ella-N
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2011, 8:40 am

I can remember things that interest me, but can't if it doesn't. eg, I memorised Pi to 20 digits by looking at it once written down and I can make a picture of it in my head. Same with the periodic table of elements, I can visualize it in my head. I sort of have a photographic memory.

(BTW Pi= 3.1415926535897932384, for anyone who cares)

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

I can remember dialogue from years ago word for word.

I'm also very musical. I progress much faster than my peers and take to instruments easily, and get full marks on musical exams with no/little practise.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:45 am

Innovative streak. Intuitive understanding. Diplomacy. Clear seeing.

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2011, 8:45 am

It's hard to say what is or isn't a talent. I'm more visual than most NTs I've talked to, but I tend to more of a pattern thinker. I can do a bit of the mental CAD type manipulation you mentioned, but my real talent comes from my ability to think in terms of systems.

I can learn new languages (written, oral, or pc) usually in under a week (conversational). I can pick up and play just about any instrument (my favorite stim is tapping out melodies on the back of my thumb with my fingers). Once I learn how something works, I can diagnose issues and fix them faster than almost anyone I've ever met.

There aren't any others I can think of.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:18 am

Reading backwards counts as a talent? I mean, I knew not everyone did it, but I didn't think it was that unusual. It's really not all that hard. I can do it easily, although not as easily as reading the normal way.

Anyway, I answered yes regarding my writing. I'm a highly prolific fantasy writer, working on around a hundred different stories. The other writers I've met have mostly only had one or a few stories on the go. Plus none of them finished one story in the course of about a month just because that one really inspired them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:29 am

Drumming, drawing, empathy.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

Probably not, other than being a nice person which seems to be rare.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

I have tremendous knowledge of the World Wars of the twentieth century, history in general, and science. I also have a larger than average vocabulary. What I am most known for though is my habit of playing guitar while I ride a ten-speed bicycle at the same time. I've done this tens of thousands of miles the past thirty years. From much practice I am pretty good at figuring out how to play other people's songs "by ear," and I have written dozens of my own original songs along with hundreds more fragments of songs, rhythms, and riffs.

My social skills really suck though, and I have sensory issues that make life generally unpleasant for me and for anyone who lives with or near me (because I complain about things that apparently don't bother most people as much as they bother me).

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

geometry
intuitive physics
biology
medical knowledge

humor.
and some others but im too tired to think now. 8O

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 10:17 am

I am a professional yo-yo player. In fact I'm a former state yo-yo champion and world record holder.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

I can play the guitar....I never "learned how" I just picked it up and it made sense to me. Can play better than most others I know. I've had guys who have played twice as long as I have walk off the stage, because they can't keep up!! :lol:

LususNaturae

17 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

I was always naturally talented at arithmetic (dominating flash cards in elementary school, the like) and spelling (I won two school spelling bees without studying one bit). I'm pretty good at following complex recipes when cooking.

In the 'real world', my ability to 'think outside the box' and solve problems quickly has helped me a lot at work. OTOH, I hate doing things the way they were done last year, because that's the way things are done.

minorwpuser
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

Yes, I have a few abilities that could be seen as being somewhat unusual:

- I have perfect pitch. I'm able to recognise single notes played anywhere on the piano, as well as clusters of up to 4 random notes.

- I have a better-than-average memory, especially for details that other people might not notice. For example, I can remember the dates of birth of every pupil in my primary school class, as well as the names of the streets on which they lived (bear in mind that only two or three of these children ever went on to become friends of mine). I can also remember things like the dates of most notable events in my life (others who were there are always surprised when I can recall the date!), and the numbers of most of the roads in my country.

- I was hyperlexic as a child. My verbal abilities are now fairly average for someone of my age, but I was advanced in that area when I was growing up.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

I guess I'm a bit... imaginative at times, but I have no artistic skill whatsoever. In theory, I'd be an excellent writer just based off the insane things I can come up with and how easily I can engulf myself in another world, but I can't translate it right, so my writing is average.

I am pretty good with my hands when it comes to building. I made dolls out of corn husks, I love origami and sewing, etc. Honestly, someone handed me a bundle of hay and I was amused for at least 3 hours making little houses and such.

Really, the only skill I have that's any useful is my amazing charisma... or at least with children. I love kids, and they adore me. At least my crazy imagination comes into handy for playing and telling stories off the top of my head. And they think origami is the coolest thing ever a lot of the time, and it makes me happy to make others happy. Of course, they thought the dolls were creepy, but everyone else except my mother agrees they are. Being able to make "kid food" is also a plus for the parents of the kids I babysit. Apparently I make the best grilled cheese "in the entire freaking universe", and that's from a kid who hates grilled cheese.

So if babysitting and playing with dolls counts as a skill, then yes, I have one.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

Oh, nothing special. One of the reasons I thought we have nothing in common with Rainman...

Seriously, once I excelled in basic physics at the end of my first year in high school, I was 7th on the national competition, and among top 20 in math (only the first place was ranked). I can visualize some of the basic rules of physics directly in my mind, like gravity for example. I don't think all of this is really that unique.

The other stuff I developed is the ability to hear nuance differences of audio reproduction quality. I have some basic understanding about the connection between the sound and the layout of the equipment, but again, I'm far from being damn good at it, I'm sure John-Elder Robinson was better at this.

I have been pondering about the third recently. It seems I don't think within clear boundaries such as in pictures, patterns, concepts, words etc. Most likely I use several of them without priority. It allows me to "peep out" of my little world and have some understanding of seemingly totally different ideas.