How zombies came about, this really interested me

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

I just created a post talking about the whole zombie apocolypse theory, and i then began to wonder, just how did the theory of zombie came about? i did some research and found it originated through voodoo, this really surprised me and i thought it be interesting to share with you, i always put the link of the vid first. basically for those of you who arent in the mood to watch the videos, voodoo priests will create a powder from certain plants, when this powder comes in contact with you, it will poison you and make you appear dead but it really makes you fall into a deep sleep, much like romeo and juliet, you will be dug up out of the ground by the man who put you into the deep sleep, and i guess they now have control over you? it still confuses me a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnykvRs7 ... ure=relmfu

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnykvRs7zmg&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_q3y8gveU

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_q3y8gveU[/youtube]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

I have a whole new respect for zombies now. Doesn't stop me from wanting to kill them, though. 8)

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

I read a book called "The boy who can't/couldn't die" and it was about a boy, grieving over the death of his best friend, sought immortality only to become a sentient zombie.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

There's a book you might want to look up, called "The Serpent and the Rainbow." It's written by an ethnobotonist who went to Haiti to investigate the zombie phenomenon. I think he's the guy who found out what the magic powders were made of, and why they do what they do.

There's also a movie by the same name, but it's only loosely based on the book and is more of a horror movie than a documentary.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

I saw that movie ages ago. Now I must find the book. :D

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
I read a book called "The boy who can't/couldn't die" and it was about a boy, grieving over the death of his best friend, sought immortality only to become a sentient zombie.

wow that is bizzarre

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
There's a book you might want to look up, called "The Serpent and the Rainbow." It's written by an ethnobotonist who went to Haiti to investigate the zombie phenomenon. I think he's the guy who found out what the magic powders were made of, and why they do what they do.

There's also a movie by the same name, but it's only loosely based on the book and is more of a horror movie than a documentary.

thanks for the advice ill have to look it up :)

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:11 pm

I didn't watch the video, but I'm gonna assume it talks about the poison from a rare animal being used to put people in temporary coma's while voodoo priests wait for them to wake-up and convince them that they are zombies?

I think I have read about that before. 8)

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
I didn't watch the video, but I'm gonna assume it talks about the poison from a rare animal being used to put people in temporary coma's while voodoo priests wait for them to wake-up and convince them that they are zombies?

I think I have read about that before. 8)

they might use some animal, but the video shows them picking plants and what looks like some type of fish for the zombie powder

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

I work in the city of Glasgow and Zombies are front page news here ! Reason is that the Brad Pitt film "World War Z" is being filmed on location and Glasgow has been 'transformed' into Philadelphia,where the story is set. There have been scenes of thousands of people running through the streets fleeing from the Zombies.
Last year the council of another Scottish city,Dundee,actually published a paper outlining plans for dealing with a real zombie attack :) .
I think someone on the council had too much time on their hands,but you just never know what can happen.

One of my favourite movies is an old black & white classic,I Walked With A Zombie.Very atmospheric and subtle,as opposed to some of the modern gore-fests.That was set in Haiti and had Voodoo as the central theme.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

pluto wrote:
I work in the city of Glasgow and Zombies are front page news here ! Reason is that the Brad Pitt film "World War Z" is being filmed on location and Glasgow has been 'transformed' into Philadelphia,where the story is set. There have been scenes of thousands of people running through the streets fleeing from the Zombies.
Last year the council of another Scottish city,Dundee,actually published a paper outlining plans for dealing with a real zombie attack :) .
I think someone on the council had too much time on their hands,but you just never know what can happen.

One of my favourite movies is an old black & white classic,I Walked With A Zombie.Very atmospheric and subtle,as opposed to some of the modern gore-fests.That was set in Haiti and had Voodoo as the central theme.

I think that would just be flat out hilarious looking out the window and watching people just randomly running around screaming LOL.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2011, 3:09 am

I read that a man was deeply investigating the voodoo zombie phenomenon, maybe it was the Serpent and the Rainbow guy, and a doctor friend of his asked him if he really wanted to find out about this stuff, and what he really hoped to accomplish, and he realized he should stop.

But even if nobody ever researches zombieism again, we got a good Cranberries song out of it.