Republicans want to limit access to SSI for children

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." -Dwight David Eisenhower.

That commie bastard really hated our troops, didn't he?

Eisenhower was talking about the toll diverting resources to fight the atrocities of communism was taking on our society. However he had no intention of eliminating our national security policy out of dreamworld ideals that peaceniks have and hope the Red Army, the People's Liberation Army, and the North Korean Army would be on their best behavior.

And of course you are as ignorant of history as the typical right-winger. You do recall that Eisenhower is the one who brought an end to our involvement in the Korean war, right? And this is not the only occasion on which he criticized military spending. His famous farewell address, in which he coined the phrase "military-industrial complex," was in large part a warning against letting the military and associated industries- eg defense contractors- become too powerful and too influential. The military is certainly quite well-funded today despite the fact that we no longer have an evil Soviet empire to fight. Based on the record of Eisenhower's comments, I highly doubt he would approve.

Recall that neither I nor anyone else is proposing a complete dismantling of the American military. Merely cutting it down to be a leaner, more efficient body.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm

Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." -Dwight David Eisenhower.

Eisenhower was talking about the toll diverting resources to fight the atrocities of communism was taking on our society. However he had no intention of eliminating our national security policy out of dreamworld ideals that peaceniks have and hope the Red Army, the People's Liberation Army, and the North Korean Army would be on their best behavior.

And of course you are as ignorant of history as the typical right-winger. You do recall that Eisenhower is the one who brought an end to our involvement in the Korean war, right? And this is not the only occasion on which he criticized military spending. His famous farewell address, in which he coined the phrase "military-industrial complex," was in large part a warning against letting the military and associated industries- eg defense contractors- become too powerful and too influential. The military is certainly quite well-funded today despite the fact that we no longer have an evil Soviet empire to fight. Based on the record of Eisenhower's comments, I highly doubt he would approve.

Recall that neither I nor anyone else is proposing a complete dismantling of the American military. Merely cutting it down to be a leaner, more efficient body.

:roll:

Right now I would say we have more to worry about from ACORN, Public Unions, and a corrupt Department of Justice, than the military.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

Orwell wrote:

Check history more closely. We are still in a state of war with North Korea. Eisenhower got the war to a point where we could sign a cease fire, but no peace treaty or surrender was ever signed, and all 3 parties have fortified the 38th parallel in anticipation of fighting to resume for 58 years now! Eisenhower also had to allow congress to keep military spending high for all the other cold war threats as well. As a percentage of the GDP, military spending dropped by 5% after the Korean war, but remained twice what it is today.

AlanTuring wrote:
That's not what the topic was about. At best, you've slanted one small part of the story and neglected the rest.

Check out the OP again if you doubt it.

I know, it's another "evil republicans conspiring to cut social services to serve their rich masters" thread. I know there are families that need SSI to help support a disabled child (and I know a few of them, and unfortunately there are other families looking for an excuse to simply get free money and they are tying up services to families that need it to keep their kid living at home, or worse, are having to struggle to keep from having to sign custody of them over to the state.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

When Social Security was passed in 1935 it was intended to be a pittance for Old Folks. It was never intended for children. Now there are so many entitlements attached to it, it will be broke by 2040.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Right now I would say we have more to worry about from ACORN, Public Unions, and a corrupt Department of Justice, than the military.

You really need to take a break from watching Glenn Beck.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Explains while on the way to work on Saturday Morning I hear that investors are concerned about Hyper Inflation in the United States. Looks like I'll keep listening to Glenn Beck, he seems to be more accurate than where you get your news.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Explains while on the way to work on Saturday Morning I hear that investors are concerned about Hyper Inflation in the United States. Looks like I'll keep listening to Glenn Beck, he seems to be more accurate than where you get your news.

And what does that have a thing to do with ACORN, Public Unions, and the Justice Department that you maintained are somehow more a threat to America's well being than the military budget?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

And what does that have a thing to do with ACORN, Public Unions, and the Justice Department that you maintained are somehow more a threat to America's well being than the military budget?

ACORN -- Voter Fraud

Public Unions -- Pay off politicians to get higher and higher salaries when the politicians are supposed to represent the taxpayer.

Department of Justice -- Have a look at "Fast and Furious" and their promoting the supervisors that oversaw giving guns to Mexican Drug Lords, probably with the intent to stir up incidents to support a crackdown on Law Abiding Citizens whom own guns in the US.

Now we have fears of hyperinflation, due to the Fed printing money. This is the one area where I agree with Ron Paul, the Fed needs to be audited.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

ACORN -- Voter Fraud

Public Unions -- Pay off politicians to get higher and higher salaries when the politicians are supposed to represent the taxpayer.

Department of Justice -- Have a look at "Fast and Furious" and their promoting the supervisors that oversaw giving guns to Mexican Drug Lords, probably with the intent to stir up incidents to support a crackdown on Law Abiding Citizens whom own guns in the US.

Now we have fears of hyperinflation, due to the Fed printing money. This is the one area where I agree with Ron Paul, the Fed needs to be audited.

Both Kennedy and Lincon wanted to either do away with the feds or somehow control it and were killed shortly after. Folks thought it was about race, but I watched on the history channel that some believe that the feds had more to do with it.
I agree it needs to be done though cause they are running amok,

Jojo

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Orwell wrote:

ACORN -- Voter Fraud

The extent of voter fraud with ACORN has been greatly exaggerated, and was blown out of proportion by that little twerp with the video camera. And your forgetting to mention, ACORN had done considerable good for poor minorities, which was the real reason why they were targeted.
Public labor unions negotiated their benefits. And it's well known that many mayors and governors had gotten them to back down from demands - - through negotiations - and many of those governors and mayors were Democrats. Those governors who make it a point of pride to bust and vilify unions have never tried to deal with them the proper way - by dealing with them across the table.
As the the Justice Department - yes, that was a bone headed stunt. But I hardly think there's any grand conspiracy behind it to seize guns, as the public knows the circumstances, and thus could not be duped into thinking legal gun owners were somehow involved.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

AlanTuring wrote:
hn_Browning
AlanTuring wrote:
That's not what the topic was about. At best, you've slanted one small part of the story and neglected the rest.

Check out the OP again if you doubt it.

I know, it's another "evil republicans conspiring to cut social services to serve their rich masters" thread. I know there are families that need SSI to help support a disabled child (and I know a few of them, and unfortunately there are other families looking for an excuse to simply get free money and they are tying up services to families that need it to keep their kid living at home, or worse, are having to struggle to keep from having to sign custody of them over to the state.

I have no doubt that some people pursue SSI who don't meet the criteria, and that some of them get it.

It is also true that you are slanting things to pursue your agenda.

I tried do put the story out there without pushing it one way or the other.

Say what you wish - I simply wanted to call you on your misstatement on what this thread was about.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well if someones problem happens to be drug or alcohol related I do not feel the best thing to do is cut them off from all services they might need just because what happened to them might be their fault...also there are a lot of mentally ill people who use drugs to self medicate which they sometimes don't seem to take into consideration. Obviously people should not just have everything handed to them.....but people with problems need help regardless of what the specific problems are.

In better financial times I would have said we need to try and get as many of them as possible through rehab, on prescribed meds and therapy, put back in contact with relatives if possible, and moved to a group home since they are costing the state a lot of money one way or the other. Unfortunately most states cannot afford the costs of transitioning them off the streets right now.

So what do you suggest exactly.....just leave them on the streets, allow more people to end up on the streets...while 1% of the population continues getting richer off of other peoples work? eventually something is going to have to change....this a sick society especially when it seems to be a common veiw that economic times are hard so that is a good excuse to abandon those on the bottom to their misery.......but whatever I only feel that way because I am on the bottom or so I have been told, if I were higher up I guess logic says I would be fine with society operating that way. but who knows.

I just don't see how 1% of the population can afford to travel around in private jets, how we can afford to spend so much on entertaintment for the sake of entertainment, how we can afford to play athletes so much......if economic times are so bad why is it only those on the bottom that are expected to pay the consequences.....yeah maybe some of those people on the top need to share some of that wealth but I guess they are above the struggles of this nation as long as they have more money than they would ever even need they don't give a crap.

I just do not see how this is a healthy society.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Nil_Nil wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well if someones problem happens to be drug or alcohol related I do not feel the best thing to do is cut them off from all services they might need just because what happened to them might be their fault...also there are a lot of mentally ill people who use drugs to self medicate which they sometimes don't seem to take into consideration. Obviously people should not just have everything handed to them.....but people with problems need help regardless of what the specific problems are.

So...maybe those in question should be using a program more suited for their issues possibly at the local or state level.

Libs want to generate more taxable revenue using Imminent Domain, judging who is better for the local community, but when conservatives voice concerns about the long term negative affects of liberal policies on tax revenue in the local community, conservatives are bashed for being inhumane. There are always going to be producers and non-producers. Which policies are creating more producers and decreasing the amount of non-producers?

Don't get me started on BLarney Frank

I don't know who that is...

Also, it seems like some of the conservatives do not like to take into account all of the factors that could make one a non-producer as you call them. Also there are lots of producers who work their asses off and still cannot afford to support themselves or their families. Just allowing more people to end up on the bottom and cutting aid from programs to help those people does not decrease the amount of 'non-producers' it increases it and makes society look quite sick.

Also there is that whole idea that if you're low class or poor, it is always the individuals fault.....they deserve it for being lazy or whatever, none of them have serious problems that interfere with their abilities to succeed, none of them are working their asses off for low wages...and that is a bunch of crap.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:33 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Check history more closely. We are still in a state of war with North Korea.

As I said, Eisenhower ended our involved with the Korean War. We stopped shooting, they stopped shooting, and we brought the troops back home. No formal treaty was ever signed, but there is not actually a state of war between us and North Korea, or even between North and South Korea, except on paper in some minor technicality.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
In better financial times I would have said we need to try and get as many of them as possible through rehab, on prescribed meds and therapy, put back in contact with relatives if possible, and moved to a group home since they are costing the state a lot of money one way or the other. Unfortunately most states cannot afford the costs of transitioning them off the streets right now.

So what do you suggest exactly.....just leave them on the streets, allow more people to end up on the streets...while 1% of the population continues getting richer off of other peoples work? eventually something is going to have to change....this a sick society especially when it seems to be a common veiw that economic times are hard so that is a good excuse to abandon those on the bottom to their misery.......but whatever I only feel that way because I am on the bottom or so I have been told, if I were higher up I guess logic says I would be fine with society operating that way. but who knows.

I just don't see how 1% of the population can afford to travel around in private jets, how we can afford to spend so much on entertaintment for the sake of entertainment, how we can afford to play athletes so much......if economic times are so bad why is it only those on the bottom that are expected to pay the consequences.....yeah maybe some of those people on the top need to share some of that wealth but I guess they are above the struggles of this nation as long as they have more money than they would ever even need they don't give a crap.

I just do not see how this is a healthy society.

No it's not a healthy society, however you are looking to fix things like a hail Mary pass and I'm looking to work on things playing 10 yards at a time. Yes I'm saying we will have to let people stay on the street a little longer (many of them wouldn't now how to cope with being given an apartment and having people be nicer to them and would go back to what's familiar if the change was sudden anyway). Coming up with money to pay to help the extremely poor is complicated because you either have to overcome a lengthy and complicated political process (and no one as pulled that off in over a decade) to raise taxes enough to support programs for them. The other method is to make challenges to the economy that are more palatable to more people by changing trade laws and cutting red tape to make businesses more profitable so they can afford to grow and hire more people. If you hire enough people, the supply of labor drops and their value goes up. When this happens, you have more people paying taxes, and higher taxes then they used to at that. Then you would be in position to push modest changes to the tax laws and then you have enough money to provide support services to the extremely poor that actually want to improve themselves, and maybe you would make job opportunities for them in the process. The only catch is that you can't keep giving aid to an individual indefinitely and you can't keep giving services to people that won't follow their psychiatrist's advice or won't get clean and sober or they will suck your bureaucracy dry!

Personally I would love to whittle down the size of the prison population by executing more of them and making most of the rest really motivated not to come back, and then heavily renovate some of them (they would probably hold a little over half their original capacity) and use them as a centralized place to treat the homeless [most of them non-dangerous or lower risk] with mental health issues, substance abuse issues, or developmental disabilities that are going to take a long time to rehabilitate. Then find places for them to go from there. Maybe the military could occasionally take some of the younger ones?

Orwell wrote:
As I said, Eisenhower ended our involved with the Korean War. We stopped shooting, they stopped shooting, and we brought the troops back home. No formal treaty was ever signed, but there is not actually a state of war between us and North Korea, or even between North and South Korea, except on paper in some minor technicality.

Ummm, no! Most of the troops came home, but we still have to keep troops over there to defend the border because they threaten to attack over every little thing real or imagined they find insulting. Do you never read of their threats of "nuclear annihilation"? Kim Jung Il genuinely believes he has that capability. Perhaps you need to look up past incidents that have happened between North Korea, South Korea, and the US. In recent years, there have been incidents like North Korea firing artillery rockets into South Korea, North Korea sinking a South Korean destroyer, and an artillery exchange between the two Korean armies. The war is still very much going on, and the south is showing a huge amount of restraint over the north's repeated violations of the truce over the years.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2011, 5:25 am