Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

what would be some reasons that someone wouldn't be able to lose weight despite dieting?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 8:22 am

Simple; the person does not burn the calories that he or she takes in.

Take in fewer calories that you burn, and you lose weight.

Take in more calories than you burn, and you gain weight.

Eat less, exercise more.

No excuses.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

No matter your disorder, if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose stored fat. Some have higher metabolisms than others, but it's simple physics that:
A. your body must burn calories to function
B. your body can't store calories it doesn't consume

However, you're not guaranteed to lose weight where you want to.

For example, lots of guys have a really hard time removing belly fat. I knew a girl too who when she dieted, would lose the majority of the weight in her breasts. The one place it was flattering.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

the people who so archly and dismissively say "no excuses" have not experienced the protracted pain of food deprivation [with its associated feelings of fuzziheadedness, light-headedness and headachiness] and of arduous [and interminably excruciating], pantingly heartpounding exercise when their body is screaming for rest and relaxation instead of physical torture. if they had, they'd "just say know." there have been lab studies of unfortunates [with wrecked/defective metabolisms] who actually gained weight on a <1000-calorie daily diet. i am probably prematurely wearing out my body doing the 2-hour daily grind that is the only way i've found to not gain weight, because i have gained weight eating next to nothing. being the last to avoid starvation in a famine is no reward.
to the OP- the only way for a lot of us to get rid of the poundage and keep it off, is to totally ditch the white stuff [refined anything, starches, IOW all the good-tasting stuff] and to give up eating for pleasure period, combined with 1-2 hours of daily vigorous exercise using all the major muscle groups, IOW muscle building and aerobic exercise together. food is just for sustenance, not to be enjoyed. the sooner one can give up expecting food to taste good, the sooner one can lose the weight and keep it off. one must find pleasures in life other than in eating tasty foods. you can't fool me for a second, into actually believing that raw carrots taste like anything other than grunchy dirty hell. i have TMJ and just thinking about chewing raw veggies gives me a jaw ache. so i drink lots of liquified vegetables in the form of V8 juice, which kills 2 birds with one stone, getting my veggies in a more palatable form as well as getting sufficient hydration when i pant and sweat.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
the people who so archly and dismissively say "no excuses" have not experienced ... blahblahblah

Eat less, exercise more.

It really is just that simple.

If you think it isn't, then ask your doctor.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 10:38 am

Fnord wrote:
Eat less, exercise more.

unadulterated bs. NOTHING is "just that simple." believe what you will.

Fnord wrote:

whatever.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 11:19 am

One thing is for certain, It it NOT because you are weak and completely at fault, contrary to what society believes. I was taught by my well-meaning, weight-conscious mother that exercise was a punishment for putting on a couple of pounds or eating candy during the holidays. She put me on my first official diet when I was 7 or 8 and she told me I would have a heart attack or asked me how I was going to be seen in a bathing suit in the summer. Yeah, that helped. :roll: It wasn't until I was in my mid-20's that I finally lost weight by walking for at least 5 hours a day and drinking maybe 8 liters of water instead of eight glasses a day. It was painful, exhausting, nauseating, but it worked. But then my fear of gaining it back lead to my doing things like overdosing on laxatives or not eating at all. I thought I had to do extreme things to lose weight because there's no way I'll lose it by doing any exercise for one hour a day and not eating like a rabbit. So I stopped and naturally, I gained back much of the weight I lost. :( But just the thought of going through that all over again makes me feel like I have arthritis all over my body. :x

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

http://www.businessweek.com/debateroom/archives/2008/01/the_diet_indust.html

If it were easy Americans wouldn't spend 40 billion dollars a year on dieting!

In contrast, the NFL only brings in $9 billion a year!
http://www.plunkettresearch.com/sports%20recreation%20leisure%20market%20research/industry%20statistics

Last edited by BTDT on 19 Aug 2011, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambiguity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Eat less, exercise more.

unadulterated bs. NOTHING is "just that simple." believe what you will.

Fnord wrote:

whatever.

I think what Fnord is trying to say is that the basic science is simple. It's just a fact that if you consume less calories than your body needs, it will resort to taking from its own storage.

Overcoming bodily desires and painful exertion from exercise is something else, however.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

^ This.

I realize that some people would rather put up with being overweight than with doing whatever it takes to lose that weight, but to deny simple physics is simply ridiculous.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

Removed by me. Why bother?

Last edited by CaroleTucson on 20 Aug 2011, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Last I heard, MJ, you were drinking diet soda. I wouldn't do that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

Some folks have become so caught up in their problems that they've lost sight of the fact that there could be a solution.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

Moog wrote:

I had Pepsi Max kick for a while but that was a year ago. I hate diet soda. I'm quitting all soda after today anyway. Just that I have a two liter that I don't want to just flush away.

Just wondering if there could be some kind of absorption problem with what foods I do eat.

Can't go back on my diuretic because my BP is fine and I had a recent kidney stone.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
Moog wrote:

I had Pepsi Max kick for a while but that was a year ago. I hate diet soda. I'm quitting all soda after today anyway. Just that I have a two liter that I don't want to just flush away.

Just wondering if there could be some kind of absorption problem with what foods I do eat.

Do you have a wheat or dairy intolerance at all? 'Leaky gut' syndrome?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 2:07 pm

I tried glutin free bread. Disgusting. I assume that's what you mean by wheat intolerance. I'll look into lactose intolerance.

I like to think I'm tolerant :wink: