Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2022, 6:12 am

Sure, I don't see why not. I've been on stage, and written for performance works, all of which involved singing. I've taken a couple of singing classes at times, which involved various performances in front of people (including karaoke and group renditions of assorted classic pop songs), and didn't seem to do too badly.

And yes, there are still areas of vocal performance and control I could stand to work on - I'm not at professional level by any means. I have managed to surprise a few people with my range, though, as day-to-day I'm fairly monotone in my speech.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 6:29 am

Yes, I sing. When I was younger, I sang in the church choir and the Oratorio Society, for which there was an audition. Not that it was all that difficult, it was an amateur organization. But there were some high quality amateur music organizations where I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.

I was blessed with access to a lot of musical opportunities when I was a child, but I did not appreciate it then. My mother could have been a professional musician, concert violinist, but she decided to raise children instead. She had perfect pitch. Unfortunately she did not have the good sense to marry someone who had any musical talent at all.

So I have enough musical ability to know what I am missing. :-)

Once I left home, I left music behind. Picked it up again for a few years in my 30s. Actually performed a couple of times with others. Dropped it again until my 60s.

I sing now for my own pleasure. I can accompany myself roughly with piano or banjo.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2022, 7:33 am

SING!

Jimberry and the Couscous - Too much information
- Failure to habituate
#ActuallyAutistic #Ableism #RightToThrive #Neglect #AutismAdvancement

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 10:47 pm

I love to sing, and took a few singing lessons when I was in high school, though I never had a great technique. Couple that with me having a baritone voice and a love for 80s rock bands like Bon Jovi and Journey and you get permanent vocal damage…my perfect pitch gone to waste.

#palestinianlivesmatter

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

26 May 2022, 1:20 am

I can’t sing. I wish I could, I like to try, but I can’t. I’ve improved a little over the years by trying not to think; to just let it out of myself. Much like some things that aren’t natural to me and require practice, singing isn’t something that comes naturally to me.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:15 pm

I write songs, and I'm the only one who's going to sing them. So I sing. My voice isn't awful, but it's not exactly great either. It has improved a lot with practice since I started. Not every style of music needs a flawless, perfectly trained voice. For the folk / acoustic style stuff I do, a voice that's a bit rough and ready is appropriate. (Think of Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen!)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:50 am

^ John Prine being another example. He died this past year of covid.

Women have a harder time of it, I think. Think of Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, and numerous others less well known. Cohen's songs are better covered by these women. (Except for Hallelujah, which was best covered, I think, by Jeff Buckley, who had a wonderful tenor voice.)

Although Iris DeMent is an exception there.

When you say you are the only person who will sing your songs, is that because they are private/secret? Have you uploaded anthing to, say, SoundCloud? Or maybe you have already posted something here on WP. I don't get to all the posts or threads.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:05 am

I've been told many times NOT to sing :)

It's just not my forte.

I know people who sing very well; many of those people don't appreciate their gift (which I don't have).

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^ John Prine being another example. He died this past year of covid.

Women have a harder time of it, I think. Think of Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, and numerous others less well known. Cohen's songs are better covered by these women. (Except for Hallelujah, which was best covered, I think, by Jeff Buckley, who had a wonderful tenor voice.)

Although Iris DeMent is an exception there.

When you say you are the only person who will sing your songs, is that because they are private/secret? Have you uploaded anthing to, say, SoundCloud? Or maybe you have already posted something here on WP. I don't get to all the posts or threads.

Well, I'm just some random bloke who keeps churning out lots of slightly odd songs. Other people have sung my songs, but that's happened about 10 times in 20 years.... (My Soundcloud stuff is under my real name, which I try to keep seperate from WP for reasons.)

Yes, there's a shortage of famous female vocalists who don't have conventionally "beautiful" voices, which is a shame 'cos I think a lot women who would like to sing are intimidated by what they hear. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bjork's bizarrely ennunciated scream-whisper voice because she allows it to be rough.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm

I'd rather scream. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 10:17 pm

before middle age when my voice went down to the basement, i had a euphonic and accurate dark baritone voice that could sing some sinatra or elvis material fairly well.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2023, 10:16 pm

Personally, my singing is alright until it comes to screaming. I can sing, and I can scream, but I can't do both at the same time. For instance, I have to aggressively whisper a lot of the lyrics in the song "My Fist, Your Mouth, Her Scars", especially the lines "with every ounce of anger, in turn we know you're going down" and "I saw her as she hit the ground".

Maybe it's just because I'm a female and naturally have a higher pitched vocal range as a result, who knows?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 10:30 pm

xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:
Personally, my singing is alright until it comes to screaming. I can sing, and I can scream, but I can't do both at the same time. For instance, I have to aggressively whisper a lot of the lyrics in the song "My Fist, Your Mouth, Her Scars", especially the lines "with every ounce of anger, in turn we know you're going down" and "I saw her as she hit the ground".

Maybe it's just because I'm a female and naturally have a higher pitched vocal range as a result, who knows?

It's unlikely to be related to sex because the difference in pitch wouldn't prevent switching from one to the other.

Your mileage may vary due to technique, like if you're using inhaled screams you might find it hard to transition to exhaled clean singing without a lot of practice.

If it's all exhaled it should just be a matter of switching from using your vocal fry to using your vocal cords.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:32 pm

I don't sing, and I can't sing anyway. I don't know why but I've always been embarrassed about singing. I hate it when I'm trying to describe a song and someone tells me to sing it. No way am I going to sing, ever.

Luckily I can play the piano, so if I don't know the name of a song I just play it on the piano as a way of asking someone and if they know then they'll tell me.