Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

I have a lisp, and I also sound nasally, and for one reason or another cannot put emotion into my singing. But I was wondering if it is possible for someone with aspergers to learn how to sing very well?

any aspies out there who can sing very well?

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

Well, i really hate bragging and i feel kind of guilty answering this, but my music teacher told me that she wants to put me as the lead tenor for our schools concert choir, so i guess that means i dont sing too badly.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 1:00 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
Well, i really hate bragging and i feel kind of guilty answering this, but my music teacher told me that she wants to put me as the lead tenor for our schools concert choir, so i guess that means i dont sing too badly.

Waaah!! ! Now your just mocking me!! ! :cry:

lol just kidding, :D

My singing just sounds horrible... all sorts of vocal issues...

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

iceveela wrote:
bradt4evr wrote:

Waaah!! ! Now your just mocking me!! ! :cry:

lol just kidding, :D

My singing just sounds horrible... all sorts of vocal issues...

Its ok if your not the best singer, heck its not like im gonna be the next Justin Bieber or anything like that, im sure you have many other beautiful talents that are truly unique and special :)

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

My vocal range is terribly limited, so I'm a pretty bad singer. But I could care less. :P

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

I think that sometimes you can train your voice. I will never be a great singer and I struggle with controlling it but the more you sing along to stuff and work on getting the tuning right, the better you may be. Saying that, I find it hard to sing without a CD on!

You have to tune a guitar, why not your voice?

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

I don't particularly like my voice when I hear it on a recording, but in fact I managed to make a living singing and playing lead guitar for twenty years, so apparently my opinion doesn't count. Last Saturday at the local jam session I was complaining to the bartender that not enough musicians were coming anymore and I was afraid someday no one would show up to play but me. He said he didn't think anyone would mind listening to me all night. Even after all these years of performing I was surprised to hear that.

I would have to agree that while many autistic people are talented musicians, that doesn't mean that's what everyone is good at, or perhaps you will find that you have a feel for some instrument instead. Not everyone has to sing. Or, maybe your forte is in visual or graphic arts, or for that matter, computer programming, another knack that many of us seem to have.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
heck its not like im gonna be the next Justin Bieber or anything like that

THANK GOD!! !! ! The last thing we need is another Justin Bieber!

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

XLCR wrote:
I would have to agree that while many autistic people are talented musicians, that doesn't mean that's what everyone is good at, or perhaps you will find that you have a feel for some instrument instead. Not everyone has to sing.

I am talented when it comes to crocheting, or at least thats what everyone says... I think I crochet like any other person... But I do want to play the piano, that would be a fun thing to do!

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

19 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

I have a tiny lisp too, and trouble pronouncing my R's.
When driving, I sing to my car radio, but I can't stand the sound of my voice,
so I use a raspy, abominable, black-metal growl ... even if the song is Reggae or romantic.
This is why I don't like passengers, and visa-versa. :P

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

Yes, it is possible for Aspies to learn to sing well. Rudy Simone, the author of Aspergirls and an Aspie herself, is a very good jazz singer. Don't let having Aspergers stop you from wanting to sing.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

iceveela wrote:
bradt4evr wrote:
heck its not like im gonna be the next Justin Bieber or anything like that

Justin Bieber isn't even great...he's just famous because of crazy teenage girls! :roll:

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

iceveela wrote:

I still tyhink obama is using the power of Justin Bieber to turn teenage girls into mindless Justin Bieber zombies :lol:

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

another "can aspies do this" thread. :roll:

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

19 Aug 2011, 8:26 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
another "can aspies do this" thread. :roll:
yyyyyyyyep. Sing along with us! Sounds like you already have the lyrics memorized. :lol:

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

iceveela wrote:
I have a lisp, and I also sound nasally, and for one reason or another cannot put emotion into my singing. But I was wondering if it is possible for someone with aspergers to learn how to sing very well?

any aspies out there who can sing very well?

I wouldn't say "very well", but I do sing in an entry-level choir (Edmonton Christian Male Choir,
second tenor) and I begin my fifth year of singing with them this September.