Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:51 am

Hmmmmmm, how do I approach this. :chin:

Does anyone feel like they are super-shy in some aspects in life...yet they are attention-seekers elsewhere?

Like they stand out and blend in at the same time?

It feels like I get depressed and happy all the time, and I like standing out and being weird but I also shy away from it sometimes.

I could be the shy personality....if I didn't like socializing to a point.
I could be the weird flamboyant personality....if I didn't shy away when people stared at me.

It feels like I could fit into one side of the equation, but then I am on the other, and it doesn't make sense.

Does anybody else get this? (and feel it impacting you socially?)

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

20 Aug 2011, 1:56 am

I'm am shy IRL, but not on forums. (actually, still slightly shy)
And I like being on the first page of a forum thread. :P

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:58 am

I read an article about shy people seeking attention but I don't remember it properly. I think it said shy people seek attention because they don't get attention or something. I am shy but I don't like too much of attention. I guess I can handle a little but not too much.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 2:00 am

Scandium wrote:
I'm am shy IRL, but not on forums. (actually, still slightly shy)
And I like being on the first page of a forum thread. :P

Yea, I feel like that too. But I feel like I can be shy on here sometimes, and irl as well....but then totally obnoxious sometimes.
Lol, nice.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 2:03 am

pree10shun wrote:
I read an article about shy people seeking attention but I don't remember it properly. I think it said shy people seek attention because they don't get attention or something. I am shy but I don't like too much of attention. I guess I can handle a little but not too much.

Do you know where that article is? Hmmmm, I like attention as long as I have planned it out and know I can do well. Like a performance after a few weeks of practice is fine...but a performance on-the-spot when I am signing drives me up the walls IF there are too many people watching. A few are fine, a whole room and I better have some type of prep.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

I do crave positive attention sometimes but my shyness tends to overrule those cravings in real life, online I have made a fool of myself in search of attention. It's not something I'm proud of.

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Having tourette's has made me get so much unwanted attention that I just hate attention. I only want someone's attention if I'm talking to them. Otherwise, I really want to be left alone.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

I tend to be shy. When I was younger, I attracted attention through activities and achievements, like performing. If I wasn't producing something, it felt like I might cease to exist. Work and art became a part of social currency. It was difficult for me to just hang out. I've settled down in this respect, but not all the way.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2011, 12:35 pm

You could say I'm shy. I've had so many horrible scarring traumatizing experiences with people, in other words normal social encounters. These days I just sit in my room and when I want to talk, I go on a hunt for human life, I say my piece and retreat as quickly as possible before the emotional fireworks erupt. And they always do. People are so explosive.

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

I'm not shy. I'm indifferent to human attention.

pirate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

I'm kind of like that. Sometimes I'm reserved and quiet and other times, particularly when I'm around certain people or in a certain 'mood' am very open and attention seeking, I guess you could say.

I definitely want more attention than I get, even posting on forums, for instance. Its kind of funny thinking about it actually. Hmm, never really grew out of a lot of the stuff commanding me as a kid.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

I...guess, maybe?

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

Do you know where that article is? Hmmmm, I like attention as long as I have planned it out and know I can do well. Like a performance after a few weeks of practice is fine...but a performance on-the-spot when I am signing drives me up the walls IF there are too many people watching. A few are fine, a whole room and I better have some type of prep.

Nop Chrissy.. sorry t'was a long time ago...

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

I would say yes. I don't talk about myself without being asked, but I do like to talk about myself when asked.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 1:36 am

Definitely understand it, although I don't know if I see it often outside the context of feeling left out of a conversation, or if someone is shy but lonely.

Apophis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2011, 6:30 am

I don't know about seeking attention, but I do like acknowledgement.