When acedemic success does not reflect how you function.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Ok so I got an A in one class and a B in the other(even though I did not submit one of the essays which was 10% of the grade)...and I know I probably have the ability to pass with decent grades this next semester as well. But regardless of that life in general seems to be going downhill.

Yeah I am intelligent yet I cannot figure out how to keep a job, and cannot handle the stress of a job on top of college at least not at this point...even college itself is hard to deal with. I still keep pushing myself but...maybe that is not what I should be doing. But I don't know what to do without going to college.....I only have college grants and loans as income, got denied SSI, because as far as I know(still trying to find a way or figure out how to find a way) I cannot afford one to begin with. I can't even get on medicaid.

I don't want to quit college, because one I enjoy learning about things and feel it could be helpful to get a degree...and I would be without any form of income whatsoever. But my mental health is only going down hill so I don't know how much longer regardless of my good grades I can keep doing that without adressing some of the issues I have before it becomes way to much to handle...sorry if that is badly worded, but its hard to explain basically I don't know what to do, and I would prefer to continue going to college. Has anyone else had a situation like this and maybe found a solution or have any advice...I just don't see why I can't have a bit of confidence and more mental stability with my acedemic skills

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

I think that we could use a bit more information here. Just what are the problems, other than school, that are causing you so much difficulty? As for a job and school, I did that, but I worked nights and only took 6-9 credit hours per semester, although I also took classes in the summer as well. My motto is that only work gives meaning to life and that without work, life has no meaning. Also, I live to work, not work to live.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

AspieWolf wrote:
I think that we could use a bit more information here. Just what are the problems, other than school, that are causing you so much difficulty? As for a job and school, I did that, but I worked nights and only took 6-9 credit hours per semester, although I also took classes in the summer as well. My motto is that only work gives meaning to life and that without work, life has no meaning. Also, I live to work, not work to live.

Well I am going to community college, because I want to pursue an education and the financial aid/loans is helpful....I cannot handle a job on top of it because I can't handle that sort of stress on top of college. Basically even college is overwhelming because of how downhill things seem to be going...I can't very well wait till I have a mental breakdown and end up in a psych ward then I'll miss too much class probably, and have to drop out and then I will have no income whatsoever...and will have to wait another year or so to re-apply for financial aid/loans to go back to college.

But I don't know where to turn to get help for any of it before it gets to that point...and even if I knew were I don't know how I would come up with the kind of money it costs to get diagnosed or anything. and if it reaches the above mentioned point I have no idea how would I pay for that......either. I just really don't know what to do. sorry I can't explain it better.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

I was trying to suggest that you consider taking fewer classes and work as well. Then too, I know how stressful school can be and maybe a break from school would help and you could work instead for a semester. Lots of folks do that I know. I am just getting the impression that you need a break for a while. Does your school offer any mental health counseling?

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

AspieWolf wrote:
I was trying to suggest that you consider taking fewer classes and work as well. Then too, I know how stressful school can be and maybe a break from school would help and you could work instead for a semester. Lots of folks do that I know. I am just getting the impression that you need a break for a while. Does your school offer any mental health counseling?

I don't think you understand, I can barely handle going to college.....due to how severe all my mental issues have gotten and are getting. so trying to do both is out of the question at this point. And a job alone sounds even more stressful than just college due to the fact I would have to try to deal with other employees, customers, somehow get through a job intervew ect. And I don't have the option to take a break dropping out=no income......even if I end up having to drop out because I can't figure out anything to do about how I feel and need emergany psychological treatment or something.

And as far as I know my school does not offer that, but I have tried counseling time and time again and it does not really help anything. I could use a diagnoses though because then I could have access to medicaid...I just don't know how to get any help, how to afford it or even what would help to begin with. I just know it is very hard to function this way and it will probably get worse because I don't know what to do about it.

I like college, I can do well in college......but what good is that if I can't function very well.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

I have been on the verge of a mental breakdown many times before. School stress had a lot to do with it. I would just shutdown, sleep for 20 hours a day, refuse to go to school. This happened in high school where I actually got committed because I couldn't take it anymore and wanted to commit suicide. It also happened the first two years of college. Of course by the time I went to college, I was addicted to drugs. It made me feel better, less suicidal, less stressed, to be high all the time, but it only made my problems worse in the long-run. It exacerbated my mental health problems, not to mention the time I spend looking for ways to get high. I couldn't devote time to getting high and doing school work.

The only thing I have to suggest is to find a good therapist. Do they have a mental health clinic where you live? You need support. You need to find healthy ways to deal with all this stress.

With college, I have never successfully completed a traditional semester in college. I always end up dropping classes or failing at least one of my classes. I found that taking accelerated classes works better for me than traditional classes. Accelerated means your classes only last a month or so and you take one or two classes at a time. I don't multi-task well. I also have a tendency to procrastinate. This helps me keep from getting overwhelmed. I'm getting ready to start school at University of Phoenix online. Their classes last 5 weeks and you only take one class at a time. This allows me to go to work full-time and do school full-time, something that would have been impossible otherwise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
I have been on the verge of a mental breakdown many times before. School stress had a lot to do with it. I would just shutdown, sleep for 20 hours a day, refuse to go to school. This happened in high school where I actually got committed because I couldn't take it anymore and wanted to commit suicide. It also happened the first two years of college. Of course by the time I went to college, I was addicted to drugs. It made me feel better, less suicidal, less stressed, to be high all the time, but it only made my problems worse in the long-run. It exacerbated my mental health problems, not to mention the time I spend looking for ways to get high. I couldn't devote time to getting high and doing school work.

The only thing I have to suggest is to find a good therapist. Do they have a mental health clinic where you live? You need support. You need to find healthy ways to deal with all this stress.

With college, I have never successfully completed a traditional semester in college. I always end up dropping classes or failing at least one of my classes. I found that taking accelerated classes works better for me than traditional classes. Accelerated means your classes only last a month or so and you take one or two classes at a time. I don't multi-task well. I also have a tendency to procrastinate. This helps me keep from getting overwhelmed. I'm getting ready to start school at University of Phoenix online. Their classes last 5 weeks and you only take one class at a time. This allows me to go to work full-time and do school full-time, something that would have been impossible otherwise.

I don't really know what they have where I live, I would have to find out....I am ok with having 3 classes for a semester, well I was not sure how it will go this semester because I feel worse than I did last semester. I have used marijuana for that purpose...but I am not high all of the time and it does not really interfere much with school work, sometimes it helps because I can concentrate better when I don't feel anxious or suicidally depressed. Though for a while I was doing a lot more then that and I had stopped going to class at that point...because of all the drug use.

So yeah I ended up taking a year off and decided to go to community college.......which is what I am doing now.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

I would say its better to have a degree than not have one at all. you can still get jobs with your degree, might not be the one you want but it will still provide you with an income until you can get your job. sh***y thing about having an education though is your put on a pedestal that shouldn't exist. so i guess the best comeback would be where is your degree?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

LostUndergrad9090 wrote:
I would say its better to have a degree than not have one at all. you can still get jobs with your degree, might not be the one you want but it will still provide you with an income until you can get your job. sh***y thing about having an education though is your put on a pedestal that shouldn't exist. so i guess the best comeback would be where is your degree?

I don't even really know, what job I would even be intrested in or if I would be able to hold a job even with a degree..I can only pretend like I have any sort of plan for so long.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

I managed to "survive" 2 and a half years of Uni despite being, lets say, in mental and emotional chaos. The third year became too much, and having 10 subjects was just too difficult. I managed to pass all 5 from first year and all 7 in second year, including getting the highest mark of everyone in one of my major subjects and thus received an award but after having to do 6 - 3 hour exams in the space of 10 days (in 3rd year) I finally fell apart and broke down. I never recovered and it was all due to my mental and emotional state, and I guess I had my nervous breakdown, which in all honesty was inevitable. I was coping well with easy to remember subjects like Entrepreneurial Law but suffered with more complex subjects like Civil Engineering as it required a lot of practice and of course my mind wasn't allowing me such freedom.

You have to sort out your issues in order to be able to fully experience your studies and to focus on them appropriately. Just going on and persevering like nothing is wrong, as in my case didn't make things better. Being aware of your issues and accepting them and thus factoring them into your approach can be helpful too. If you realise that your studies will suffer a bit due to mental problems and thus, don't beat yourself up for not being able to be at your best, it will make your life a lot easier. If you can see a therapist, then I would recommend it. The most important thing though is to get your degree, and if takes a little longer than usual it doesn't matter. To get it is all that matters, how long it takes is of no real consequence. Best of luck.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

if your income is under 12k you should easily qualify for the maximum Pell Grant of $5,500 a year. That should pay for about 2 semesters worth (4 classes per semester) and the books that go with it. I know people that take only 4 classes a year..2 per semester.. and use the remaining grant money to help pay for housing and food.

You only need to register for 2 classes a year to receive the grant in full.

I don't know if you were aware of it... if not I hope this can help you out.

Thing with the federal aid is you literally have to have less than 12k/yr income for the whole year before you apply for financial aid..since those idiots only look at your previous tax documents rather than your current situation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 12:43 am

Well other than the grants and loans I am flat broke.......so I think that falls under 12k. I just feel it is kind of pointless, yes I can do well in college but I feel too burnt out to actually do anything with it.