I'm XX years old, unemployed, and Aspie. Add your name here

Page 8 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

I'm a 29 coming up on 30 diagnosed Aspie, but have never held a steady, long term job. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in meteorology (my Aspie obsession since age 4), but they're totally useless as there are practically no jobs in the field. I say "practically" because there are a few jobs, but it's a highly invisible job market, basically meaning that who you know is far more important than what you know. When a meteorology job is posted on the internet, several hundred people apply, making your chances low, unless of course, you know someone on the inside.

I'm not sure how to make use of my existing education. It feels like I've wasted 6+ years in university pursuing two degrees for absolutely nothing. While I enjoyed studying something I love, it hasn't done anything in terms of landing work. In fact, I convinced my educational background has made me overqualified for a lot of manual labor type jobs. These types of employers don't like to hire and train educated people since they few us as a flight risk. I also really struggle with people intensive retail type jobs. As such, I think going to college/university isn't worth it anymore. I'd rather have just a high school education and a steady, tolerable manual labor job than being overeducated and unemployed. I live at home with my mom and feel like a total bum.

I saw a career counselor who works with a lot of Aspies last year and even wrote a book on the subject of Aspie employment, but she was like "you have to network". How am I supposed to do this when I have poor social skills and don't know anyone? I am now on the waiting list to work with someone at the Mass Rehab Commission (I've been waiting longer than they 1st told me too) and am signed up to take some computer programming and IT classes at a local community college since that is supposedly a field that is hiring and hopefully at least somewhat Aspie friendly.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2012, 2:35 pm

mitch413 wrote:
I'm a 29 coming up on 30 diagnosed Aspie, but have never held a steady, long term job. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in meteorology (my Aspie obsession since age 4), but they're totally useless as there are practically no jobs in the field. I say "practically" because there are a few jobs, but it's a highly invisible job market, basically meaning that who you know is far more important than what you know. When a meteorology job is posted on the internet, several hundred people apply, making your chances low, unless of course, you know someone on the inside.

Sounds somewhat like my experiences wit the broadcasting world around here...
Quote:
I'm not sure how to make use of my existing education. It feels like I've wasted 6+ years in university pursuing two degrees for absolutely nothing. While I enjoyed studying something I love, it hasn't done anything in terms of landing work. In fact, I convinced my educational background has made me overqualified for a lot of manual labor type jobs. These types of employers don't like to hire and train educated people since they few us as a flight risk. I also really struggle with people intensive retail type jobs. As such, I think going to college/university isn't worth it anymore. I'd rather have just a high school education and a steady, tolerable manual labor job than being overeducated and unemployed. I live at home with my mom and feel like a total bum.

If it's of any comfort to you, I'll let you know that it's just a cultural thing. Around here, it's nothing weird to have 3 or even 4 generations living under the same roof.
Quote:
I saw a career counselor who works with a lot of Aspies last year and even wrote a book on the subject of Aspie employment, but she was like "you have to network". How am I supposed to do this when I have poor social skills and don't know anyone? I am now on the waiting list to work with someone at the Mass Rehab Commission (I've been waiting longer than they 1st told me too) and am signed up to take some computer programming and IT classes at a local community college since that is supposedly a field that is hiring and hopefully at least somewhat Aspie friendly.

That's a good option, I guess. If you find it interesting enough, go for it. If you think it will pay your bills but you won't like it at all, then I'd say you should better look for something else.

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

machf wrote:
If it's of any comfort to you, I'll let you know that it's just a cultural thing. Around here, it's nothing weird to have 3 or even 4 generations living under the same roof.

It is a cultural thing. Here in the US, kids are generally expected to move out of their parents house by 18 or so. However, with the economy the way it is, I think this is beginning to change as kids are not able to find good jobs like their parents had. Being at home with your parents as an adult was (and mostly still is) frowned upon. I kind of wish there wasn't this pressure to move out and be on your own in this country. If there wasn't, perhaps I wouldn't feel so bad about being at home.

machf wrote:
That's a good option, I guess. If you find it interesting enough, go for it. If you think it will pay your bills but you won't like it at all, then I'd say you should better look for something else.

I like computer programming. I discovered my knack for it while taking a required computer programming course for my major in college.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

I'm 19 years old, unemployed, I don't even know if I'm going back to college, I'm a girl and I'm an aspie.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 7:02 am

I'm 20 years, unemployed, but at University with occasional client work...Oh, I'm a boy and I'm an aspie.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 11:31 pm

Hey. 26 here, recently unemployed and an Aspie.
I get jobs and just make it through if they are temporary ones. When I am offered long term work eventually something happens and I leave without communication to my peers or bosses. I just block it from my mind entirely and leave. The only jobs I can seem to get involve dealing with people (because no one else wants to do that) and it's over the years broken me down. I can barely pretend to be normal any more even for the sake of being professional.

Have fairly good IT, money skills but no real qualifications bar an NVQ2 so am gonna go back to college this fall and hopefully go back to doing some part time work, like admin.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

If I get another job it will be just like everyother job I have ever had. The bosses will like me but the other employees will do their best to make me feel like I do not belong. I will be insulted, threatened, and made to feel like a piece of s**t. I can't wait to meet the new group of as*holes that will think they are better than me. :roll:

WonderWheeler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2012, 3:37 am

I'm 58 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

I've been a licensed architect and general contractor, an experienced CAD drafter (autocad/datacad/microstation), know carpentry, electrical, plumbing, engineering and construction backwards and forwards. Experienced in design and drafting of homes, apartments, condos, hospitals, offices, restaurants, ag buildings, metal buildings, solar homes, shopping centers. LEED acreddited professional. Have also done some book illustration, teaching.

Unemployed since about april fools day of 2008, with the exception of 5 months.

Self diagnosed, high functioning, prefer back-room type highly focused work, can work with others but probably work best self-directed independent working but in an office environment. Can handle high complexity, detailed projects with good precision and quality according to codes and QC standards. But, am sometimes rather socially unsophisticated and disadvantaged as far as networking and understanding unwritten rules.

A bit depressed about the economy and the ability to find work in this area. Am looking at alternatives, even truck driving.

StephenBeets679895
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2017, 9:44 pm

I'm 37 years old and unemployed and I have PDD-NOS. Not on any meds and I'm trying to do freelance work online, though not proving to be very successful at it at the moment. Not sure if I'll ever have a job again since people with "soldering" and "electronics" as their skills tend to be flatly ignored. The best that friends can suggest is doing "proofreading" online, which is about as helpful as a bullet to my head (actually, I frequently feel as if a bullet to the head would be better since it would take me out of this life, but that's just me). I guess my dreams are in the trash bin and destined for the landfill.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:05 pm

25 yrs old, 3yrs unemployed and aspie (currently nothing official as nhs has removed any record of it or family has lied to me but I personally still believe i'm lacking in the social department and tick all the boxes)

Been working for free most of the time, other time just stay at home. Most recent promising job offer was at a warehouse but was rejected by a foreign 'EU national' recruitment consultant (they're only legally here because we are still in EU for the next 2 years regardless of brexit) and chose one of their own (pole in a predominantly polish speaking area which some part of history is to blame) even when there were 40 slots and only about 60 of us going for the job, i was rejected even though i passed their tests, and blatantly obvious I was the right fit.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:46 pm

I'm Gwen, 23 years old, unemployed, and Autistic. I can't keep a job for more than a month. I'm in college currently for no reason as I don't see myself ever being able to successfully keep a job.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:41 pm

I'll be 60 in about 6 weeks and unemployed. If it weren't for SSDI, I'd be dead.

Basically, after all the bullsh!t I've taken the 6 years I've been on SSDI, I've given up. Family doesn't give a damn about me, most of my friends could care less, and the only institution that cares is the church. Komm, suesser Tod'!

seansomewhere
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 3:22 am

I'm 23, unemployed and an aspie.

Since April this year I've started to volunteer a few days a week in a charity shop, which I feel is helping me a bit.

Other than that though I've never been properly 'employed' or anything like that :(

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

I am 27 years old, unemployed and I have a formal diagnosis of autism.

At the moment I believe I am battling depression because I feel tremendously apathetic and derive zero pleasure from anything. Though I no longer have a completely blank mind (I think it might have been due to drinking too much caffeine), I do seem to have anhedonia as I don't find anything interesting at this point in time.

I have been unemployed since March, but I do volunteer on two occasions each week in a charity store.

Whilst it's admittedly a stupid idea, I have been thinking about intentionally making myself homeless as my life is too easy at the moment. I need something to motivate me.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

60 years old, dx, MA Lit, no network and the only few people I can tolerate as company are people who grew up with a mad mother, and one other one who is sectioned on a regular basis.

My hobbies include Negative Thinking, Psychological War with the dwp and smoking.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 4:24 am

39, Unemployed for 3 years, hoping to be successful with selfemployment in the future.
Homeless, soon will be forced into crappy low paying job, and probably accommodation with degenerate petty criminals.
Hopefully I will be able to progress from there.

My aim is to study some more.
Sell most of my possessions, so I can be more mobile & generate a small amount of money.
I wish to then travel to a small town, and keep moving around small towns.
This way I'll be able to stay away from people, and have some appeal as a fresh face.