When people trash something I like...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm

Sometimes people are very nasty about something I happen to like. I'm aware not all other people like it either, and that's okay, but when they say mean, negative, insulting and vulgar things about it-and other people who like it- I feel very strange and abnormal and can't look at it as positively as I used to. I feel guilty or even stupid for liking that very thing. It happened just today. Even though I'm 37 I'm a big fan of Neopets and I've been a regular on the site for about three years. Today I was reading about it on the Wikipedia. Afterwards I noticed something called Uncyclopedia, which was an obvious spoof, and because I have an unhealthy sense of curiosity I checked it out. They were trying to be "funny" but all I saw were nasty, vulgar, hurtful comments and descriptions, saying people who go on Neopets either can't have real pets or have no life, "unless they have crabs" they called the faerie characters in the site "lesbian faeries whom the Neopians pray to like gods, but they are not really strong enough to protect them because they are women and not feminists."
Now I feel tainted. Everything feels tainted. And although I know I'll get over it eventually, right now it's like someone jabbed me in the eye with a sharp stick. :(

zeldafan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

dude i feel sooooooo sorry for you i hope i can find and trash their computers.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

Uncyclopedia is not something I would get bent out of shape over. Whether you think it's funny or not, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I'm getting better at dealing with people (not satirical websites) trashing things I like, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't bother me to a degree. Which makes me somewhat of a hypocrite, because I'll be bluntly honest with those around me and won't hesitate to ramble for five minutes about why I hated a movie they loved.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

Jory wrote:
Uncyclopedia is not something I would get bent out of shape over. Whether you think it's funny or not, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I'm getting better at dealing with people (not satirical websites) trashing things I like, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't bother me to a degree. Which makes me somewhat of a hypocrite, because I'll be bluntly honest with those around me and won't hesitate to ramble for five minutes about why I hated a movie they loved.

Yeah. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 9:22 pm

There were times that I felt that someone was trashing The Kinks here on WP and I don't post as much about them as I used to, as a result.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

Yeah, my response to people trashing things I like is more to keep it to myself. It's never made me stop liking the things as much.

However, discovering certain facts that I didn't like about things that I liked has made me stop liking them.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

The internet needs to learn this very important message!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZZj5S7o-w[/youtube]

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm

Trigas wrote:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm

lostonearth53, I understand how you feel. I get really upset when people say negative things about my interests too. I just try to talk about my interests only in places where I know it'll be accepted or at least tolerated.

And when people do make fun of me, the best thing to do is just smile and go along with it. For example, sometimes my brother makes fun of me for being an anime fan by saying things like, "Only the losers at my school watch that stuff." Rather than trying to defend my hobby, which only makes him tease me more, I instead smiled and told him, "Yeah, but I'd probably still be a loser anyway even if I weren't into anime." He laughed and walked away, leaving me alone.

But this probably only works in real-life situations. When being bullied on the internet, the best response is no response at all. People only troll others on the Internet just to get a reaction out of them. For example, the infamous Christian Weston Chandler has been Encyclopedia Dramatica's punching bag for the past couple of years, and the only reason for their continued trolling of him is the fact that he keeps reacting to everything they say or do to him. If he had pretended not to notice their bullying, they probably would've left him alone and moved on to a different target.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

... it usually means that (a) what they really do not like is me, and (b) they are too cowardly to confront me directly and openly.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

I never liked it when people were always trashing ABBA it really annoyed me and then on some ABBA forums there were people mainly the Agnetha fans knocking the other ABBA members. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

... it usually means that (a) what they really do not like is me, and (b) they are too cowardly to confront me directly and openly.

Not me. I'll still be your friend if you like Adam Sandler movies. :P

Maybe. :?

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 12:26 am

I know, I am the same. If someone trashes something I like or something I can relate to myself in some way, I'll feel very guilty and ashamed of liking it/being like that from then onwards. So I have an annoying compulsion to, for example, when talking about my taste in music, to say that I 'most of the stuff I listen to is crap that no intelligent person should like' and such things.
I know I really shouldn't get offended about these things, but I can't help it. Criticism towards something I like somehow feels like a personal insult.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Aug 2011, 12:31 am

Trigas wrote:

That made my day. :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Aug 2011, 12:33 am

People trash Ratchet and Clank all the time at my school. I just ignore it and proceed to trash Justin Bieber. :)