Proof that aspies can have successful relationships

Page 12 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

syntaxrandom wrote:
Wait, who said we can't, again?

A lot of people believe we're incapable. Usually the NTs we end up with have a family member with some kind of autism or something like that. I'm saying kudos to them for their understanding of our social stupor. :?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jan 2012, 12:27 am

I'm going on a date tomorrow. Haven't had one since 2010. I'm a little nervous. 8O

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:00 am

Define "successful"?

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:06 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I'm going on a date tomorrow. Haven't had one since 2010. I'm a little nervous. 8O

Awesome, Good luck!

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2012, 2:31 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

Grats :D

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Trigas wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

Awesome, Good luck!

Thank you. :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

acentupleflat wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

Grats :D

Thanks. :D

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 9:45 am

I know i can have a successful relationship, ive been in a relationship that wasn't having too many problems. The only thing wrong was that personality wise she wasn't the right person because she was a nt( and didn't really understand me) and also we had differing ideas on things like social issues ( she cared about what people thought of her too much and was a little too pointlessly competitive for my tastes). She had a wide range of friends and i personally am the kind of person that would just like a small group of close friends. It was just little things like that which put me off about a relationship with her, otherwise we got on really well. I'm quite a committed person, i know that once i get past the problem of meeting the right girl i could easily make it work and would probably even be what a lot of people would consider to be a good boyfriend, im very reasonable. I could have easily been in the relationship still, it was safe and very nice to have that part of my life sorted, just i didn't want to be involved with someone that clearly loved me a lot more than i loved her, she deserved better.

Sisamo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

Knifey wrote:
it actually still shocks me when she makes allowances for my aspieness, because i'm not used to anybody thinking of me, understand me, and trying to make me feel comfortable without trying to change me.

I hope I can do this for my husband!! I'm NT, he's likely an undiagnosed Aspie; we dated since we were young teens (almost 30 now!) and got married a year and a half ago. Over that time, it's taken me a long time to understand how he feels in social situations and to make accommodations so that he's more comfortable to just be himself. A lot of open and respectful communication was necessary for us to get where we are today! Then, we just figured out the possibility that he's an Aspie last week, so we're looking into resources. I know he feels great to put a name to why he feels so weird; and that makes me happy, that he knows he's understood and not alone.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2012, 2:44 am

For me, the only reason I'm even in a successful relationship is that I'm with someone with Aspie traits who has managed to put up with me for longer than anyone else has. He wasn't scared off when I came out to him about my diagnosis, although he did ask if I was gay, which isn't true at all.