Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

I didn't feel it, though according to a local news station it could be felt in my area. I live in columbus, ohio.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Another pffffft from the West coast. ;)

We had a 6.8 here about 10 years ago. No one died and no buildings or bridges collapsed.

A 6.8 is 10 times the amplitude of a 5.8, and about 30 times the energy released.

Are you referring to the Northridge earthquake in 94? Because some buildings did collapse, & some people died. Maybe it wasn't a big toll for casualties, but we didn't get out totally unscathed.

No. Nisqually Earthquake in 2001.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

Dilbert, where's Nisqually? Pacific Northwest? I forgot that you guys have had quakes up there too. Some real doozies over the years. Guess it's because it's so much less populated. My bad! :oops: Sorry!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

I always thought I was more sensitive than other people, but I didn't feel a thing. :? At the time of the earthquake, I was on my break, walking around outside. I returned to the building where I work on the ground floor, and found a *huge* crowd of people gathered around outside. As I looked around in confusion, I heard someone say there had been an earthquake. People were talking about how the whole building was swaying and shaking. It seems that they had to evacuate the upper floors from the severity of the shaking. At my job, people were talking about the danger of aftershocks. Everyone was sent home early as the building. was deemed unsafe in the case of an aftershock. Meanwhile, I felt absolutely nothing. It was all very strange.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

My brother just moved to Virginia a month ago. He works for the feds and his federal building was shaking and swaying. They had to all be evacuated. He could still feel the building shaking as the went down stairs. His wife and kids live in a 11 story apartment building they felt lots of shaking and went to a park after evacuating the building. They are all safe now.

Oh and there is Hurricane Irene is excepted to make landfall to the east coast in the next 2 days.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 6:14 pm

I think it's worth pointing out that the 2 nuclear reactors near the epicenter were automatically shut down by their safety systems.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Hotura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2011, 6:29 pm

Supposedly it was felt down also south of Columbus, Oh. That is where I live, some of the people in my area felt it but I didn't feel a thing nor were my animals acting strange (they were all sleeping, lol). I was like earthquake what earthquake til I read about it o.o;

number5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

It truly was horrifying!

I was in downtown Philly. Mass evacuations and hysteria. Another display of:

"The Wussification of America." - Ed Rendell.

wayne_da_doctor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

i thought it was after shock that hit pa

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm