Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/au ... s-solitude

This article talks about novels written about people who either spend a lot of time alone, experience solitude or exist largely in their own thoughts.

I wondered if anyone had any favourite books that they liked to read when they felt particularly alone, or that featured characters that existed largely in solitude.

Maybe something that brings you comfort, or solace, or you can particularly identify with.

One book, or series, that particularly resonates with me, is the Duncton Wood series. There is a character in the second book; Mayweed, who has spent most of his life alone, in darkness. He is befriended by other characters, who initially see him as a useful person to know, but slowly come to see his inner turmoil and pain, and one in particular tries to reach him. Over the course of the two books Mayweed is in, he changes, and comes to trust the new beings in his life, and find light and happiness. It's not an easy journey for him, but a fulfilling one.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

A book called Flowers for Algernon

It's basically written in a kind of diary or journal format, a fictional documentation of the thoughts of a (*searches for PC phrase*) congenitally mentally deficient man who undergoes experimental treatment and becomes a genius, and experiences two different kinds of loneliness.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

Flowers for Algernon is great. Brave New World too, a place where everyone is completely shut off from each other's real selves and emotions by conditioning, heavily prescribed happy pills, religion, sex, materialism, and of course most of all, the ever-present need to constantly put forward a certain front lest someone think you're weird and therefore dangerously deranged. HMMM seems familiar, am I right?

Course that's just off the top of my head. Finnegans Wake maybe...?

universeofone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

Silas Marner?

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

I can think of a lot of novels I've enjoyed where the narrator or main character didn't literally exist in solitude, but had difficulty interacting or understanding other people, and felt isolated or had a sense of 'inner solitude,' as a result. The Catcher in the Rye, The Bell Jar, and Invisible Man come to mind. Or, one of my personal favorites (see my Carson McCullers avatar at left, lol), The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Also my username is a reference to Laura in The Glass Menagerie. A play, not a novel, but she definitely knew about solitude.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2011, 7:18 pm

Pincher Martin by William Golding, author of Lord of the Flies.

It's the story of a British Navy sailor who is the only survivor after his ship is sunk in the North Atlantic. He washes up on a tiny island, barely larger than a house, and spends several weeks there alone.

There is a fairly mind-blowing psychological twist at the end, which I won't reveal, but even without the ending I think it's the most extreme "solitude" novel I've read.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm

I love books with some degree of isolation in them

Swiss family robinson
Robinson Crusoe
Mutiny on the bounty
Journey to the centre of the earth

Were all favorites growing up.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

Karuna wrote:
I love books with some degree of isolation in them

Swiss family robinson
Robinson Crusoe

They were two of my favourites as well. I think the idea of being alone and having complete freedom and spending all day exploring and innovating and creating was my utopian dream. Still is really.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

Hm, off the top of my head and glancing at my bookshelves:

-Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"
-JK Huysmans "A Rebours"
-I'll throw Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London"--not really isolation or solitude, but really, Orwell is the memorable character, everyone else weaves in and out of the story, but then the focus is on his experience and nothing else. His relationships are pretty meaningless in it.
-Sartre's "Nausea"

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

heckeler06 wrote:

-Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"
-JK Huysmans "A Rebours"

-I'll throw Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London"--not really isolation or solitude, but really, Orwell is the memorable character, everyone else weaves in and out of the story, but then the focus is on his experience and nothing else. His relationships are pretty meaningless in it.
-Sartre's "Nausea"

excellent taste you have! I was going to mention these two as well.

also:
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem
The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

anna-banana wrote:
heckeler06 wrote:

-Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"
-JK Huysmans "A Rebours"

-Sartre's "Nausea"

also:

Ah! You have good taste as well [and good taste in booze from what I've gathered from other threads!]

I'm a bit amazed you recognize Huysmans and Hamsun--I don't come across many people who have!

And for a short story of isolation: Gotta throw in Kafka's "Metamorphosis".

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

heckeler06 wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
heckeler06 wrote:

-Knut Hamsun's "Hunger"
-JK Huysmans "A Rebours"

-Sartre's "Nausea"

also:

Ah! You have good taste as well [and good taste in booze from what I've gathered from other threads!]

I'm a bit amazed you recognize Huysmans and Hamsun--I don't come across many people who have!

And for a short story of isolation: Gotta throw in Kafka's "Metamorphosis".

yeah was going to mention Kafka but since the thread is called "novels" I decided against it ;)

I actually did Scandinavian studies at uni, hence my knowledge of Hamsun (have to say I kinda hated all his other books though :P) and Huysmans was a gift from a friend who literally demanded that I read it "rite nao!!!1" because it was "so awesome". and it was! I read it 3 more times since then.

good booze & good literature are a nice mix too :D :wink:

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

Probably one of the best books Bentley Little has done. This story is about Bob Jones, a man who finds he is such a generic human being he is starting fade into the wood work at his job. People increasingly fail to notice he is even in the room. The only exception to this is his Boss who notices Bob all the time and treats him like s**t.

Bob has also suspected someone has been following him. He later meets this person and discovers him to be a part of The Ignored like himself.

I don't want to give away more then this but if you like horror this is an interesting read.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Cleaver by Tim Parks is a rather good novel about solitude.

Its about a man who goes to stay in a mountain cabin by himself, and we gradually learn more about the character from his confused internal monologue