Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

For the past two months, I have been noticing a lot of hair loss. My hair is also looking and feeling thinner on top of my head. How can I tell if this is a temporary thing, or if I am genuinely going bald?

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

question; have you suffered a traumatic incident or been under a lot of stress lately? because that could be causing your hair loss

other than that I have no idea! just shave your head if you're going bald, comb-overs look ridiculous! I have a full, thick head of hair but if i started to lose my hair i would just shave it all off! the skinhead look is cool! :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
For the past two months, I have been noticing a lot of hair loss. My hair is also looking and feeling thinner on top of my head. How can I tell if this is a temporary thing, or if I am genuinely going bald?

You'd be better off to ask a trained medical professional than to ask a bunch of non-medical Aspies on a social website.

With that said, my opinion is that it is unusual for a woman to lose her hair, unless some severe changes are going on in her life, like during post-partum, menopause, or times of stress. Even then, I think that you should see a doctor about it, and not try to self-diagnose or consult ignorant amateurs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

My hairline is permanently in the same spot where it starts at the top of my forehead. It's been like that since my early 20s, and it looks much cooler than a "full head of hair". Here's what it looks like.

fragaria
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

The same is happening to me, but I was under a lot of stress the last months. Got heart palpitations, cold sores ( the last ones were 10 years ago ) and when I brush my hair every morning there is really a lot of hair that's stuck in the brush. Now I'm always compulsively plucking at my hair to remove the loose ones.
I take a lot of supplements now, the stress is practically gone and I 'm confident it will be better in the future.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
question; have you suffered a traumatic incident or been under a lot of stress lately? because that could be causing your hair loss

Maybe it is stress. I certainly hope that is all!

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
other than that I have no idea! just shave your head if you're going bald, comb-overs look ridiculous! I have a full, thick head of hair but if i started to lose my hair i would just shave it all off! the skinhead look is cool! :)

Since I am a woman, I definitely don't think I will shave my head. I love my hair.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

hartzofspace wrote:

Fnord wrote:
You'd be better off to ask a trained medical professional than to ask a bunch of non-medical Aspies on a social website.

I'd prefer to ask a bunch of non-medical Aspies first, since they are not going to push the latest popular pill at me in response to my question. I might even learn something unexpected. That is why I ask here.

Fnord wrote:
With that said, my opinion is that it is unusual for a woman to lose her hair, unless some severe changes are going on in her life, like during post-partum, menopause, or times of stress. Even then, I think that you should see a doctor about it, and not try to self-diagnose or consult ignorant amateurs.

Doctors today are highly trained pill pushers acting as front men for Big Pharma. I have been having some pretty discouraging results with them lately. I am even suspecting that a medication that I was taking may have caused this hair loss.

Last edited by hartzofspace on 25 Aug 2011, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Venger wrote:
My hairline is permanently in the same spot where it starts at the top of my forehead. It's been like that since my early 20s, and it looks much cooler than a "full head of hair". Here's what it looks like.

It looks like that comedian....err..what's his name?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

Infoseeker wrote:
It looks like that comedian....err..what's his name?

Must be the one that makes humor about how the term "full head of hair" has a distinct feminine ring to it.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

lol, no no. Like one of the characters from frasier. Or another comedy around then.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001288/

Or Jason Alexander.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

The actor in those photos has a full head of hair that isn't even black.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 8:16 am

There can be hormonal reasons for female hair loss. You aren't a new mum by any chance? My hairline receded an inch, a few months after my daughter was born, which is very common, but more noticeable if it's dark. Thankfully it grew back. But, it's much curlier than it was before (it was always curly, but it's like semi-Afro ringlets now - cool).

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

I'm a guy, but while I didn't notice like, super duper abnormal hair loss, I'd lose a few strands here and there, seemingly like everyone else.

One thing I did, though, switched to not using shampoo, and just rinsing my hair under water in the shower. Occasionally, I'll clean it with some lemon juice like every few weeks, and the acids in the lemon juice straighten out the scales on your hair, so it feels and looks smooth, and it helps get rid of some excess oil, too.

However, if you're willing to take the dare of no shampoo on, what'll happen is for a few weeks, your hair will be nasty. Just oily nasty hair. Then, it'll start looking and feeling better, and eventually you'll get to a point of your hair being awesome, better than it ever was with shampoo and conditioner. The reason this happens is, when you use shampoo, you strip off ALL the oil off your hair, and your body feels this and is like "why's there no oil?" and just makes more to compensate for no oil being there.

The logic of shampoo and conditioner if you think about it really makes no sense, you strip off the oils on your head with shampoo, then put more oil back on with conditioner? So no shampoo breaks the cycle and allows your body to return back to normal.

I can understand people's apprehension to this, especially a woman. Women, especially, if they try this, it's much harder, as they got more hair, so the "break in" takes much longer, instead of like 2 weeks, it could take months. Also, women are judged based on their hair's look, and guys not so much, so if it turns out to be, well, crazytalk, then you got more to lose than some random 20 year old guy.

What you can do, if you don't wanna take the plunge, is just use less shampoo, don't wash your hair everyday, maybe switch to every 3 days, or just use less shampoo when you wash your hair.

I can't account for any biological stuff besides that, stress, different nutrition, diseases, whatever, so if those are a factor, then yeah, try to fix those. But personally, I remember before when I was using shampoo, I'd lose more strands of hair just running my fingers through my hair than I do now, your hair grows faster, too, your body needs the oil for your hair to grow. The other thing it does, too, it gives your hair lots of body, if you like that. Apparently on guys people think that's weird, but whatever, their problem. If you're interested, just google no shampoo or no poo, and you'll see other people's stories and methods and can decide for yourself whether you want to do it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
There can be hormonal reasons for female hair loss. You aren't a new mum by any chance? My hairline receded an inch, a few months after my daughter was born, which is very common, but more noticeable if it's dark. Thankfully it grew back. But, it's much curlier than it was before (it was always curly, but it's like semi-Afro ringlets now - cool).

First, your hair sounds like it is really cool! And no, I am not a new mother. I am actually experiencing menopause. But I didn't know that I would start losing hair. My hair has always been on the fine and thin side, so it doesn't take much loss before I feel alarmed.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

1000Knives wrote:
However, if you're willing to take the dare of no shampoo on, what'll happen is for a few weeks, your hair will be nasty. Just oily nasty hair. Then, it'll start looking and feeling better, and eventually you'll get to a point of your hair being awesome, better than it ever was with shampoo and conditioner. The reason this happens is, when you use shampoo, you strip off ALL the oil off your hair, and your body feels this and is like "why's there no oil?" and just makes more to compensate for no oil being there. The logic of shampoo and conditioner if you think about it really makes no sense, you strip off the oils on your head with shampoo, then put more oil back on with conditioner? So no shampoo breaks the cycle and allows your body to return back to normal.

I think this sounds about right. A couple of years ago, I stopped using commercial shampoo products, and switched to all natural. But still my hair felt really dry after shampooing, so I started using conditioner. This made my scalp itch awfully, so I stopped. Then I switched to washing my hair once a week, and there was much less breakage and loss. I am ready to try just rinsing it! My fiance doesn't use shampoo; he just rinses his head when he showers.

1000Knives wrote:
I can understand people's apprehension to this, especially a woman. Women, especially, if they try this, it's much harder, as they got more hair, so the "break in" takes much longer, instead of like 2 weeks, it could take months. Also, women are judged based on their hair's look, and guys not so much, so if it turns out to be, well, crazytalk, then you got more to lose than some random 20 year old guy.

My scalp tends to be dry and flaky, so I would welcome some oil for a change! :)

austinbate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2017, 1:48 am

Well hair loss is a common issue their causes may be stress, harmful chemicals, pollution and irregular diet. But you said that you are continuously loss your hair and gonna balled from front side of your head. I think in case of you its a serious issue and you have to concern from a best doctors near you.