Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

09 Sep 2006, 4:35 pm

The DVD came in the mail today so i brought it down to my parents' house and watched it on my Dad's computer but I had to bring my computer speakers along since he doens't have any sound on his computer. I watched the movie and I thought it was very good. The two aspie chracters Donald and Isabelle had great eye contact with each other and I thought they did good in socializing but it looked like to me Donald was trying to read between the lines of what Isabelle says to him but always mistook what she was saying. That's why I always ask them first what if that is what they want just to make sure I guessed right. Also before you clean someone's home, you need their permission first. Isabelle cleaned Donald's apartment and he freaked out about it but apologized later on for his behavior.
I didn't understand why Isabelle always laughed at things.
The movie didn't seem very sterotped on us. I saw the two characters as normal people even though they're different.

I got the DVD on ebay and it came all the way from Australia so the disc is region 4. I was very excited when the movie came in the mail today. I was waiting for it.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 4:37 pm

I can't find it anywhere. Not that I looked a lot, though;
I avoid going places.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 4:51 pm

How are you able to see a Region 4 DVD? Thanks for the review.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 5:27 pm

Real simple, not all DVD players enforce region codes, only certain ones. Plus, if he bought it on Ebay, the region encoding may have been removed.

All said, I will still wait for the official version.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2006, 5:54 pm

Here's the trailer I finally discovered with a Google search. It's on our site!

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.html?name=mwtrailer

I added it to Netflix but it's not out yet so it will be a while.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 5:58 pm

I didn't like the film becuse I found Isabelle to be very mean and nasty, and excessively demanding, and rude. I think she was boderline or narcissistic, not aspie. David let her walk all over him, I felt bad for him.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 6:42 pm

Thanks a lot for the link to that trailer, Dalebert!
But it isn't CAPD/SID-friendly; I couldn't tell what they said above the background noise and music.
Although it might have been because English is my second language (although I learned it like a mother tongue: I spent some of my early years living in the States).

*CAPD: central auditory processing disorder
SID: sensory integration disorder

09 Sep 2006, 10:18 pm

How can you remove the region code?

You can play any region DVDs on your computer because there is no region blocks in them. Someone told me computer companies don't put them in is because they import them to other countries.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2006, 12:33 am

I'm really dying to see this movie now but I'm afraid it will make me very emotional. I had to leave work early Friday because I was getting so emotional reliving painful memories from my childhood with a different perspective having just discovered HFA and AS. I went to CA regional services, where people go to apply to see if they're eligable for services for the disabled. I told them I don't even care about getting any kind of services. I just want to get a proper DX and find out if I'm on the right track. But I was so upset and I kept breaking down while I was trying to talk to the lady. She was great though. I'm sure she's used to it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 3:39 am

Ummm... so you're not supposed to clean people's stuff without asking them?

Because I just finished cleaning my friend's car and she doesn't know about it except I mentioned to her that I was willing to do it, but she didn't know I was cleaning it...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

emp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 5:02 am

Callista wrote:

It is not a case of "not supposed to". It is just that a substantial percentage of people will dislike it if you clean or organize some place or vehicle of theirs without obtaining their consent first.

Some people will also feel violated because for example, in the case of cleaning/organizing a house, it means you must have looked through their draws and cupboards etc in the process of determining where to put things.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 5:14 am

Any word on when the DVD will come out in the US?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 5:56 am

There is another thread on the very subject Ken. I think it was the 14th or 16th of December if I remember correctly.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 8:56 am

The film does not seem to be available in Blity. It seems to be one of those hard to get films like Animal Form.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2006, 9:50 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
The film does not seem to be available in Blity. It seems to be one of those hard to get films like Animal Form.

Do you mean "Animal Farm"? Anyway, it shows on Netflix but doesn't appear released which is odd for a 2005 film. It's especially odd since it has Josh Hartnett and he's a pretty big star.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 10:58 am

emp wrote:
Callista wrote:

It is not a case of "not supposed to". It is just that a substantial percentage of people will dislike it if you clean or organize some place or vehicle of theirs without obtaining their consent first.

Some people will also feel violated because for example, in the case of cleaning/organizing a house, it means you must have looked through their draws and cupboards etc in the process of determining where to put things.

Personally, I'd freak out because stuff wouldn't be in the exact same place I left it, and some stuff that I'd like to keep might be considered trash.
My grandma does this every time she somes to my house, and I always get very close to a nervous breakdown.

But those are probably just aspie reasons.