Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm

spacebrain wrote:
I usually call the styles I like simply head music. Psychedelic falls into this catagory. In addition to quite a few bands mentioned here... Deerhunter, the horrors, sufjan Stevens, bear vs shark, animal collective (couple albums were rock styles), faith no more, mr bungle, fu manchu. If I had my library could point out more.

Yeah I've heard that term, but if said that to most people I feel like they'd be like 'what's that?' I don't think I've really heard any of those so more to look up I suppose.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm

cozysweater wrote:
What constitutes psychadelic rock? I really like the Flaming Lips and Ween (which are awesome sounds to have psychadelic experiences to) but don't know if that actually counts. How about Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Explosions in the Sky?

GYBE and Explosions in the Sky are considered post-rock, not psychedelic-rock. Post-rock is a pretty vague genre, but it is partly an outgrowth of punk-rock rather than blues-rock. It has a focus on symphonic sounds, film-score-esque dramatic ambiance, and loud distortion laced crescendos (at least with the Montreal scene, as post-rock in general is rather broad and vague, some of it a lot more mellow and subdued than GYBE). Both are trippy in their own way but psychedelic rock is more bluesy and groove/jam based as opposed to the film-score-esqe ambiance and drama of post-rock.

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Nebula, U.S Christmas, Portugal the man, earthless, Brant bjork, graveyard, codeseven (last album kind of).
Also goatsnake, though it's doom based.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJXzpsgXC4[/youtube]

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 10:26 pm

marshall wrote:
cozysweater wrote:
What constitutes psychadelic rock? I really like the Flaming Lips and Ween (which are awesome sounds to have psychadelic experiences to) but don't know if that actually counts. How about Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Explosions in the Sky?

GYBE and Explosions in the Sky are considered post-rock, not psychedelic-rock. Post-rock is a pretty vague genre, but it is partly an outgrowth of punk-rock rather than blues-rock. It has a focus on symphonic sounds, film-score-esque dramatic ambiance, and loud distortion laced crescendos (at least with the Montreal scene, as post-rock in general is rather broad and vague, some of it a lot more mellow and subdued than GYBE). Both are trippy in their own way but psychedelic rock is more bluesy and groove/jam based as opposed to the film-score-esqe ambiance and drama of post-rock.

Not to mention, there are a lot of post rock bands that sound like crap, and use the fact that the genre all sounds pretty similar to hide behind their crappiness. D= I like some post rock, but the more I listen to it, the more I'm disappointed with what people are coming out with.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm

AnnettaMarie wrote:
marshall wrote:
cozysweater wrote:

Not to mention, there are a lot of post rock bands that sound like crap, and use the fact that the genre all sounds pretty similar to hide behind their crappiness. D= I like some post rock, but the more I listen to it, the more I'm disappointed with what people are coming out with.

After GYBE, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros became more well known and the term "post-rock" came into common use to describe those bands, it all got kind of formulaic and stopped evolving. I've sort of lost interest as well. I still have cravings for dark hypnotic or emotionally intense music but it's really hard to find things that satisfy me these days. I'm more interested in indie-rock bands that have sort of dark/melancholy acid jazz and/or psychedelic sounds.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

my friend dragged me to a P-Groove concert once. It was trippy. Psychedelic Groove I think

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 12:39 am

Gomez - Get Miles is another one. I first heard it on an episode of House and immediately had to check it out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uSj0YHOCM8[/youtube]

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

marshall wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:
marshall wrote:
cozysweater wrote:

After GYBE, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros became more well known and the term "post-rock" came into common use to describe those bands, it all got kind of formulaic and stopped evolving. I've sort of lost interest as well. I still have cravings for dark hypnotic or emotionally intense music but it's really hard to find things that satisfy me these days. I'm more interested in indie-rock bands that have sort of dark/melancholy acid jazz and/or psychedelic sounds.

I'm starting to get more and more into indie rock nowadays. I haven't been listening to music for too long, so haven't accrued a lot of taste for a lot of different things. But I like where indie rock is going. It sounds nice and it doesn't seem to have a set crowd.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2012, 8:16 pm

John Browns Body : Spirits All Around Us
They sound like the Pink Floyd of Reggae! :D

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

I haven't really gotten into a lot of psychedelic rock, apart from some of the more popular bands and certain stoner rock bands, like 35007, hypnos 69, earthless, but most of the stoner rock I like isn't much different from hard rock.

Would this song be psychedelic?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYue6eZmlU[/youtube]

I like some of the bands mentioned here like black angels, dolly rocker movement, and sleepy sun.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 1:03 am

Gravechylde wrote:
I haven't really gotten into a lot of psychedelic rock, apart from some of the more popular bands and certain stoner rock bands, like 35007, hypnos 69, earthless, but most of the stoner rock I like isn't much different from hard rock.

I like some of the bands mentioned here like black angels, dolly rocker movement, and sleepy sun.

Not sure. Sounds awesome, though!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 1:23 pm

Gravechylde wrote:

It sounds like doom metal probably of the stoner metal sub-type, which is in a sense related to psychedelic rock...Black Sabbath is considered one of the first doom metal bands though the term was not around when they came about so they were just referred to as heavy metal. But they can be considered stoner metal as well, basically stoner metal is doom metal with the most psychedelic influence...much like Black Sabbath. The reason it's called that though as the fans are typically people who smoke cannabis and enjoy tripping but a more accurate definition would probably be psychedelic doom metal.

At least that's what I gather from everything I've read on the topic, I was very, very obsessed with metal and found it fun learning about all the different sub-genres and sub-types and stuff most people probably don't care about.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm

Brian Jonestown Massacre is pretty good for dark psychedelic vibes. He has his own youtube channel with a ton of videos!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeAsyqRNTI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpokKqL7YU[/youtube]

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

One of my favorites is The Moody Blues but they could also be categorized as progressive rock.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 1:14 am

I am unaware of any psychedelic bands in Montreal...

Farsight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

Porcupine Tree counts right?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLC4ZFa8Xs[/youtube]