Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 7:10 pm

I also zone out "accidentally" sometimes. I'm in the middle of doing something and my mind goes completely elsewhere until I notice I still have a sock in my hand and it's totally late for school. That kind is annoying.

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2006, 2:05 am

I zone out constantly, although I keep myself from doing it more now than when I was a child. It is both helpful and inconvenient at work... helpful in that I totally block out what is around me and I don't hear people talking, but not helpful in that people try to get my attention or talk to me and I don't notice them. When I am not supposed to be doing something, like if I am by myself at the beach or in the woods, or even at home looking at the wall, I find it very relaxing and calming.

When I was a kid my parents thought I was intentionally ignoring them or avoiding doing things I was told. I would zone out when being addressed (also I hadn't learned at that point that you are supposed to respond when someone is talking to you by nodding, looking at them, etc to indicate you are listening, so sometimes they thought i was zoned out when I really was listening). Also I would tend to stop whatever I was doing to stare at something and think. Sometimes I would be going for a walk and would stop to look at something and start thinking and get in trouble becuase I was late getting back.

Nowadays I try to catch myself so I do not start thinking about something when I am getting ready to go somewhere in the morning, etc becuase I will not get there on time. I am usually concentrating on an object when I "zone out," although my mind doesn't necessarily stay on what I am looking at. I also do it as sort of a protective measure when I am around a lot of people and they are making me nervous, so I can close them out and concentrate on just one thing. Often I find myself nodding my head when I am zoning out, which I try to stop if I notice.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 2:21 am

I relate to everything in the above post :D I also think that sometimes when I am not looking at some one it is because iAM trying to listen to them and I will be destracted if I look at them(if that makes sense)...I think this "zoning" out is also why we were always late for church...I cant judge time well...how long it will take to brush teeth,comb hair and assume I can do it in 10 min...so I have plenty of time to get ready...but it is never enough time..and then I can never find my comb ...and where did I put my shoes...its like I had Alshiemers as a kid...it isnt getting any better with age either...except I now have a "place" I ussually put my keys when I come hom....unless I leave them in the car or apt door... :oops:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2006, 3:12 am

Lol exactly... I saw this checklist in the paper for alzheimers and I fufilled practically all the charictaristics except for thinking dead people were alive and talking to them... and I'm only 24 :P I shudder to think how much worse it will get. My short term memory is practically non-existant and I zone out between every step of getting ready to go in the morning and usually miss out on several steps altogether in addition to being late.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 3:36 am

My personal fashion style is now "Deraleek"...as shown in Zoolander....I pray the "what not to wear" people never show up in my town...."who is this homeless person?"....

Its a good thing the dead people dont come talk to me...I would probably not recognise them...how embarressing would that be(they traveled all that way,and all)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2006, 8:22 am

I zone out when i'm ocncentrating hard, when i'm thinking about something or when i'm facing sensory overload, too much noise, too much or too little light, to many people etc.
Its a problem in that it makes me loose track of time and i will ignore people without realising it etc. But usually i can keep it at bay if i have things to organise and i have spent years do checklists in my head etc. to keep myself together, let me get out on time(i hate being late)and to ensure that i don't forget anything.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 8:35 am

Pug wrote:
bizarre wrote:
I used to zone out allot when i was younger, but i learned not to do it in certain situations after i got into an accident going thru a red light without realizing it.

Right there the reason why I'm not going to drive cars.

I zone out a lot.

Yeah i totaled my first car, but someone said to me everybody totals their first car. But i learned from my mistakes. You just have to get right back on the horse.