Do you think we would be better if we would bring back...

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

:thumbdown:

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

Hell, no.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

I'm always in the mood for a good ol'fashioned stoning!

now serious: wtf?

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

Baby, we must all get stoned!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

Sibyl wrote:

I second that...lol

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

Sibyl wrote:

When I wrote 'stoning' I knew somebody was going to make that comment in less than 10mins :lol:

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Seriously, it depends on whom you mean by "we".

With Freedom of Religion as a US Constitutional principle, civil law is different from religious law. For the ancient Israelites, Mosaic Law was both.

I do believe that God intended that Law for the Israelites of Moses' time, and that for Jewish people who want it to be, the Old Covenant is still in effect. For them. God doesn't break promises, though humans may misunderstand what the promise was in the first place. Modern Jews (the Observant, at least: there are a number of divisions) do keep something very like the Mosaic Law now, though Civil Law doesn't allow them to apply the old capital punishment by stoning. Muslims have a religious law very like it, and in some modern Muslim nations (well, maybe not _very_ modern ;^)) it's still in effect exactly as stated in the Koran. For them, okay, as long as they don't try to apply it to other people.

For Christians, most of it doesn't apply: a few of us were Jews in the first place, like Peter and Paul, but most of us (our ancestors, anyway) it _never_ applied. There are some minor quotations from it in the New Testament that _are_ supposed to apply to us (Peter's dream about the dietary Law, for example, and Jesus, who is God, pointing out some exceptions to Moses), but mostly, we are supposed to stick to Civil Law (there's even a quotation about THAT somewhere in the NT) and mainly to love our neighbors, and do what Love commands.

About Buddhists, Atheists, Shintoists, Wiccans, whatever, I don't have such clear notions (and I might be wrong about any of the above: it's just the way I see it.) But in the US, we have more than enough Civil Law to cover everything, including spitting on the sidewalk, some places.... And we'd better observe that! ;^)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

I don't think that would be a good idea.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Mosaic Law sounds cool. It's a difficult skill to master and very time consuming. Someone who'd been really bad might have to do, I dunno, like the whole floor of a shopping centre or something. They'd be on forever. And they could get a classical education too if they had to do nymphs and fanciful wildlife and all that stuff. Real potential for reforming offenders.

The year is still young.