Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

I am Catholic.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

I'm still a Christian - some achievement after 34 years in ordained ministry?!

As well as being a parish minister, until recently I taught theology and trained Readers ('lay preachers').

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

ChrisP wrote:

As well as being a parish minister, until recently I taught theology and trained Readers ('lay preachers').

May I ask which denomination you're ordained into?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

I'm Christian, though I'm working on some conflicts and don't consider myself a prime example.

I'm surprised to see so few trolls in this type of thread for a change.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm

John_Browning wrote:
I'm Christian, though I'm working on some conflicts and don't consider myself a prime example.

I'm surprised to see so few trolls in this type of thread for a change.

Most seem to be swarming around Inuyasha.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2011, 3:06 am

Too bad we can't put tags on all you so that conscious and intelligible people can recognize you on the spot, that would save me a lot of trouble in the real world by having advanced knowledge of who's a scripture-babbling fool mind-slave for the false god/savior that is incapable of thinking for himself.

I wish you all luck.. you'll need it. Especially the right wing gun nutter whack-job that posted above, not much anyone can do for you, you'll need all the luck you can get buddy. Keep prayin, that guy Jesus is comin' back any day now y'hear?

Incredible how people will give their minds away so readily and willingly to a false belief system such as christianity, when not even the church can provide spiritual experience to prove its claims. Religion is the suppressor of the human conscious, an intellectual disease.

and if you want to doubt my credibility I did the christian walk for over a year, almost 2 years total I followed christianity willingly and by choice, I was not raised into it. I was baptised in the holy spirit, said the sinners prayer, spake in tongues, went to church every sunday, youth group on wednesday and bible study on friday for over a year, I became even somewhat fanatical about it in a fundamentalist way. I worshiped the lord in private, prayed sincerely with all my heart, and read my bible quite often. I was the bible thumper type of guy that would go up to random people after I had a feeling from the "holy spirit" and say "god has a plan for your life and wants you to know that he loves you and that there's hope for you". Christianity was my life, it was everything to me, it was my hopes and my dreams and I was very serious about it. So I know the ropes and I know what this religion is about, probably more so than a lot of you. If you can't see through christianity for what it really is........ I don't know what to say. Think for yourself, just because somethings popular doesn't mean it's true or "the way". Don't fall back on the safety in numbers type way of thinking.

Good luck.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2011, 3:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ChrisP wrote:

May I ask which denomination you're ordained into?

Gladly! I'm Anglican/Episcopal (ordained in the Church in Wales (in Welsh!) to be precise!).
My last post also required me to be Methodist (shared church situation).

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 5:27 am

NextFact wrote:
Too bad we can't put tags on all you so that conscious and intelligible people can recognize you on the spot, that would save me a lot of trouble in the real world by having advanced knowledge of who's a scripture-babbling fool mind-slave for the false god/savior that is incapable of thinking for himself.

I wish you all luck.. you'll need it. Especially the right wing gun nutter whack-job that posted above, not much anyone can do for you, you'll need all the luck you can get buddy. Keep prayin, that guy Jesus is comin' back any day now y'hear?

Incredible how people will give their minds away so readily and willingly to a false belief system such as christianity, when not even the church can provide spiritual experience to prove its claims. Religion is the suppressor of the human conscious, an intellectual disease.

and if you want to doubt my credibility I did the christian walk for over a year, almost 2 years total I followed christianity willingly and by choice, I was not raised into it. I was baptised in the holy spirit, said the sinners prayer, spake in tongues, went to church every sunday, youth group on wednesday and bible study on friday for over a year, I became even somewhat fanatical about it in a fundamentalist way. I worshiped the lord in private, prayed sincerely with all my heart, and read my bible quite often. I was the bible thumper type of guy that would go up to random people after I had a feeling from the "holy spirit" and say "god has a plan for your life and wants you to know that he loves you and that there's hope for you". Christianity was my life, it was everything to me, it was my hopes and my dreams and I was very serious about it. So I know the ropes and I know what this religion is about, probably more so than a lot of you. If you can't see through christianity for what it really is........ I don't know what to say. Think for yourself, just because somethings popular doesn't mean it's true or "the way". Don't fall back on the safety in numbers type way of thinking.

Good luck.

you sound like a horrible christian and a horrible atheist and a horrible person in general that i wouldn't want to be around no matter what you believed. i'm not sure why you posted, it's clearly not for the christians here as you would be dismissed without thinking about it so the only conclusion left is that you are posting it for yourself. what is ranting at people who aren't going to listen going to accomplish. do you just want to be abusive toward christianity and this is your only outlet?

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

Could we please keep it civil?

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 5:51 am

i was just trying to point out that he wasn't a model christian, when he was a christian he sounded like a pain in the ass. so maybe he missed the point of christianity. i thought i was being civil. PM me if i should change my post. am i being rude? i don't know how else to say it. sorry.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:59 am

General rule is to attack the statement, belief etc, not the person, so saying that someone is a horrible person is against the rules of conduct and doesn't positively contribute to the discussion.

NextFact also attacked "the right wing gun nutter whack-job that posted above" so my comment applied to him as well.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
General rule is to attack the statement, belief etc, not the person, so saying that someone is a horrible person is against the rules of conduct and doesn't positively contribute to the discussion.

NextFact also attacked "the right wing gun nutter whack-job that posted above" so my comment applied to him as well.

Frankly I was wondering who was the focus of the RWGNWJ label. As the immediately previous poster I might seem logical, but it is not clear how one could get to that.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

NextFact wrote:
Too bad we can't put tags on all you so that conscious and intelligible people can recognize you on the spot, .

I will reply to most of your so well reasoned post as it merits. Checxk your circular inbox.

I will do YOU the courtesy of assuming that "conscious and intelligible" was the kind of slip of the fingers that can happen to anyone with often laughable results..

I would like to point out that there are "tags". In my long stretch as atheist I encountered a number of people who clearly stood out from the herd. They were better / nicer than most. They were more comfortable with themselves and others than most. They often made a rather arrogant young snot wonder if he really WAS superior. They never said a disturbing or discouraging word [unless you count the time one turned down my proposal] nor did they work to change me or convert me. They happened to be serious Christians, and it was obvious.

I only hope I wear the same tag.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

NextFact wrote:

Good luck.

Might've helped had you tried out a more mainline denomination, without all the holy rolling and preachiness.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
NextFact wrote:

Good luck.

Might've helped had you tried out a more mainline denomination, without all the holy rolling and preachiness.

I think it is hard for people who dive straight into the deep end without slowing down and really thinking about how it works for them, and if it works for them. Unfortunately some denominations require that you do just that, and are skeptical of anyone who isn't near as obsessive about it, and I disagree with them on that. It works for some people, of course, it seems to be how they need to do it, but most people need some moderation in their lives, including when it comes to faith.

NextFact, I would ask you to consider if you had taken on faith more as an intense obsession, than a real hearts and minds conversion. There are false sects out there, or more precisely ones more likely to do harm than good, and you may have been in one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NextFact wrote:

Good luck.

I think it is hard for people who dive straight into the deep end without slowing down and really thinking about how it works for them, and if it works for them. Unfortunately some denominations require that you do just that, and are skeptical of anyone who isn't near as obsessive about it, and I disagree with them on that. It works for some people, of course, it seems to be how they need to do it, but most people need some moderation in their lives, including when it comes to faith.

NextFact, I would ask you to consider if you had taken on faith more as an intense obsession, than a real hearts and minds conversion. There are false sects out there, or more precisely ones more likely to do harm than good, and you may have been in one.

Uh... Are you talking me me (Kraichgauer), or NextFact?