Yes 76%  76%  [ 32 ]
I used to 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 42

random_confusion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

I've been reading some posts on here and have seen some people mention having comfort objects! That makes me feel a lot less alone.

I have a doll that my mom gave me when she was still alive. She was killed before I was a year old. I don't remember her at all and I don't have any brothers or sisters... I also stood out like a sore thumb due to having undiagnosed PTSD, not being taught social skills and all kinds of things so this doll has been a combination of a sister and friend to me.. and lately I've found out that someone who I was dumb enough to let stay with me when he claimed to be in between places and just short-term needing money but turned into a months-long nightmare has been telling everyone I'm "Psychotic" and a "Psychopath that talks to dolls". . . which I find to be a really low thing to say, plus I have major depression and PTSD so I'm not psychotic by any means (plus psychotic and psychopath are not the same thing!) And I think anyone who would take advantage of someone and not pay rent and all the other crap he did is a sociopath, not me. . Anyway I'll stop rambling. I just wondered if it's more common than I thought to have a comfort object

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

Yup that guy sounds like a dick. Haha but yea I've had good luck charms on and off that I'd get anxious (but not debilitatingly so) without them. All were gifts given me by people I was close to.... Unfortunately I've lost every one of them :( but I've gotten used to it now :P

random_confusion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 6:10 am

I feel weird calling mine a "doll" because she is a stuffed animal (a Disney mouse- big hint there- and I just say "she" because she wears a dress and stuff) Anyway I feel like she is a good luck charm to me when I am playing games or something- I don't know if I us e"Comfort object" the same way as other people do. When I was a kid I took her everywhere with me, but I don't want to lose her since by some miracle I have been able to keep her 26 years, through moving different places and everything. So usually she stays in my apartment- plus she is about 10 or 11 inches tall so I have to keep a big purse with me if I were to take her out. But I have taken her with me when I had to have surgery or sometimes when I had to go to therapy- drastic situations like that she's very helpful to me.

I think I would just be extremely sad if I lost her. People have made fun of me and told me to get a dog or cat and I think part of the reason I've kept her so long is because my grandmother didn't let me get any pets. She said "Animals just die" and later I found out that my mom used to have a dog that followed her everywhere, even to school but then he got hit by a car so I guess it made her too sad to be reminded of both the dog dying and my mom? I don't know.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2011, 8:46 am

Yeeaa I have this stuffed animal, I got it when I was like 6 months old. I used to bring it with me as much as I could possibly get away with. It now sits in my room but damn. I would feel like complete s**t if I lost it or anything...

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:08 am

*cuddles a Linux penguin*

Yes, I have this plushed penguin called Gentoo... She is rather young (12 years to my 28 ones on this rock), but I really love to have her around... I need her when life gets too bad.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

I have to have a particular wristwatch on at all times during the day. I can't even read the time well, but feeling it against my wrist keeps me calm! I also have a cuddly 'Stitch' (from Lilo and Stitch) who has to be in my bed at all times or I won't sleep.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

Yeah, I have more than one "comfort object".
I have several weather instruments, books (of various kinds), and other things that are precious to me. :)

Jeremy91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

I have people that calm me down, not objects. But, the concept seems fascinating to me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

I used to have this collection of stuffed animals that I lost when my family moved across country, and several of them were actually comfort objects, and every now and then I kind of stress out over not having them (especially one I'd had since before I was a year old).

I had some replacement stuffed animals when I was living with my ex, but I lost those when I left her - it was a stupid mistake, the box with stuff I wanted to keep went with her and stuff I didn't care about ended up with me. D: She also stole my cat.

So right now I have a stuffed dragon, mostly, but it stays in my bedroom. I also have this outerwear garment "sweater" thing that's cut more like a duster but is cloth and not at all a coat or even really a sweater that I wear all the time. I'm okay around the house without it sometimes, but I can't leave the house without it. I've had it since 2000 or 2001 or so. My mother actually wanted to buy me a new one and I was sort of 8O at the idea.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

Well I am done lying to myself about it so my comfort objects=any means of escape.
that beer sitting on my desk, that loaded bowl I could have sitting next to me and things like that...

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

I always had to have a stuffed animal with me as a child. Even when I was passed the age where kids are supposed to have outgrown that. I'm an adult and take my Tails plushie with me all the time when it's too cold to bring my pet lizard. I used to take my Timon and Pumbaa plushies with me all the time (they were small and easily hideable) but my mom didn't like that. She was afraid I would be carrying them around with me at fifteen. What's so wrong with that?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

I actually have several comfort objects....Dory, my stuffed dolphin, a Blue Nosed Friends pig named Truffles, a Calico Critters cat named Miss Important (I got her from my therapist) and a die cast toy of Susie the Coupe. They all go with me everywhere in my shoulder bag. :D

I also have this Medicom figurine of Judith from Where the Wild Things Are that my aunt gave me a few years ago, but she doesn't really go anywhere...she just sits on my desk. She has a very sweet, smiling, heavy - lidded expression that I draw comfort from as I work.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

winnie the pooh bears and a squeaky snowman are my comfort objects.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

I have my baby blankie, and a bear, then I have my fidgets which are comforting but I sleep with my bear and blanket.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

I have a stuffed little cat I received at birth and a teddybear I got 3 years ago.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

My comfort object is a polar bear teddy that my Nana game me over 2 years ago who I named Boo Boo Bear. He's the absolute perfect size and texture for cuddling. I have collected many plushies but none of them even come close to Boo Boo Bear's level of cuddliness. It helps that he was given as a gift, so he has sentimental value.