Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:15 am

I believe that Eminem's song "When I'm Gone" is the magnum opus of our time. I have never heard a rap song before or since that tells as eloquent a story, or is a meaningful as this. I think in 50 years that music historians will look back at this song and proclaim it the best of our generation. What do you think? Can you think of something better suited for that label?

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2011, 9:34 am

I'm about 3 minutes in... I have yet to find a chord progression change... the talking person is annoying too :/

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 4:27 am

its just me probably but its not that great a song. perhaps an emotional connection was made that I have not and probably will not ever make. I stopped liking Eminem a long time ago, since his form of rap and the entire commercial rap industry tanked into irrelevancy following Obama's ascendence into the white house, i've stopped listening to rap alltogether. I find it very difficult to relate to any of his lyrics. He seems like a cursed man.

I'd say Dipset has a cold squad and no one can touch 40cal.

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
its just me probably but its not that great a song. perhaps an emotional connection was made that I have not and probably will not ever make. I stopped liking Eminem a long time ago, since his form of rap and the entire commercial rap industry tanked into irrelevancy following Obama's ascendence into the white house, i've stopped listening to rap alltogether. I find it very difficult to relate to any of his lyrics. He seems like a cursed man.

Geto Boyz "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

I don't think there is one song that can define this era, but Eminem is certainly one of the greatest rappers in the modern era.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 5:38 pm

I dont know how youd define magnum opus in hip-hop terms, because theres so many styles and focal points which are epic in there own right. stream of conciousness vs narrative. 'depth' vs punchlines, lyrical rhythm vs lyrical content etc.

the best tracks will undoubtedly be some random underground stuff that most of us will never hear. The industry isnt designed around that eg. canibus (arguably one of the greatest lyricists in rap) was set up to be 'the next big thing' but ended up getting blackballed.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 5:39 pm

I literally believe that Eminem is a reincarnation of Mozart. Yes, I do know it sounds crazy.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:36 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I literally believe that Eminem is a reincarnation of Mozart. Yes, I do know it sounds crazy.

no I know in spirit what you mean (though to my literal mind, I was like F*** no...)

He has an international podium, and got lucky not that some exec saw talent in him... but that he got noticed at all. There are too many Eminem's who work a 9 to 5 who are lyrical genius's and will only see a stage at a local show along with other local artists who love to flow.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:38 am

This needs to be requoted.

psych wrote:
I dont know how youd define magnum opus in hip-hop terms, because theres so many styles and focal points which are epic in there own right. stream of conciousness vs narrative. 'depth' vs punchlines, lyrical rhythm vs lyrical content etc.

the best tracks will undoubtedly be some random underground stuff that most of us will never hear.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:40 am

wcoltd wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

Geto Boyz "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

lol wait, when was this track released? I just saw the video, I love it!

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Eminem is a very overrated lyricist in my personal opinion. If I had a list of top 100 rappers, he wouldn't be in it.

***IRRATIONAL RANT OVER***

I wouldn't call that song the magnum opus of Modern Hip Hop. Eminem adopted a style that involved internal multi-syllabic rhymes, a skill that he uses reasonably well, almost to the point where he could say anything (usually does), and can make a listener go "wow". However, there are many rappers who do this better yet don't get the plaudits (Big Pun, Canibus, Kool G Rap, Rakim to name a few). My problem with Eminem as an artist is that I feel he lacks substance, even in his personal tracks. I can't take an artist who talks about raping his mother and slitting his wife's throat (in great detail) seriously. On a positive note though, his magnum opus would be Stan, his best lyrical work. It had a story, a unique sticking point, well written verses and a haunting chorus, albeit a sampled one. Definitely his best work.

If I had to choose a magnum opus of Modern Hip Hop (2000-onwards), it would be this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iUWGhnqBxM[/youtube]

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

the opus whatever of beats

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZK9Zi26Izc[/youtube]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

Will people consider Eminem that? Hell if I know. Hell if I care.

I look at rap as a blight upon the musical landscape. It started out as decent fun music, but the direction it went with gangsta rap ruined it. When I was younger, I listened to lots of rap, and eventually got into gangsta rap a bit. After a rather bad life experience, I determined I didn't want to hear about the ghetto, the hood, gangsta stuff at all. I don't like rap in general anymore, but I still like some underground and oldschool rap. BTW, even Kanye West's older stuff is fantastic (before he became a pompous buffoon.)

This is probably one of my favorite underground rap songs, not that it's too underground anymore.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEqr1zDq5s[/youtube]
This is pretty great, and positive but truthful at the same time. This is great stuff, but unfortunately rap is ruled by gangsta stuff and people who talk about how great they are at having sexual relations with chicks. I also believe the culture accompanying it is horrendous. I live in "the hood" now and see it all. Like weed, you can't put the causation or correlation to rap music, but I don't think it's positive at all.

Even with good rap music like that, I see so much more bad rap music compared to good, especially in popular culture, that I wouldn't mind really if it all disappeared.

Kris30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

I thought his best days were long gone till I heard the recovery album. Possibly his best ever! Don't agree with everything he says (mainly his never ending anti-female obsession!), but his lyrics and flow are magical! Great tune, On Fire and Cinderella Man are awesome too!

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 12:18 pm

I don't know about Magnum Opus, but Where'd You Go (Fort Minor) deserves a mention.

SilverTung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2011, 5:53 pm

I believe Eminem is talented, but and over rated, vile human being.

The magnum opus of hip-hop (all time) is clearly the little known "Siah & Yeshua - The Visualz Anthology"

This album got me into the activity of rapping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaa_tPGmOs[/youtube]

a runner up is "Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus"