Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

@_@

NVM

DELETE

Last edited by Maeko on 26 Aug 2011, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

I would say choose the things you enjoy most and are passionate about. Especially as an Aspie, that passionate part could take up 5 pages depending on what you are interested in and how much you love it.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Write about an event or time that you made a deliberate change for yourself. Write about what motivated you to make the change, and how you think that change has affected your life.

This ^ could probably be the easiest of topics yet most emotionally engaging. In all aspects of your life it should be quite easy to find something.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

Could you give a few examples for paragraph topics within the three pages?

So.... I would start with...

Things I like to do
One of the many things I really like to do in my free time is learn the Japanese language. It encourages me to ...... So far... something like this..

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

Maeko wrote:
Could you give a few examples for paragraph topics within the three pages?

So.... I would start with...

Things I like to do
One of the many things I really like to do in my free time is learn the Japanese language. It encourages me to ...... So far... something like this..

Something to that extent, if the Japanese language is something that you're interested in. You can begin with that, include with how you becoming bi-lingual is helpful. * by the way, when were you given this assignment? *

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

I imagine it's three pages double spaced, and once you start writing that isn't as much as it seems. What subject will fill up the pages the most depends on your personal experiences with each and how much you have to say on them. That being said, I can't help you actually write it. The point of college English courses is to teach you how to think critically and convey your thoughts effectively and cohesively.

What is meant by "think critically" is, on a particular topic, situation, or issue, you should be able to see multiple vantage points on it, in order to form a thorough understanding of the topic, situation, or issue. how you see it, and how others might see it, and occasionally choose what you think is the most optimal or accurate perspective and defend why you think it is the most optimal or accurate.

The point of this particular essay is to learn how to explorer a topic or situation and formulate things to say about it. It's also to teach you how to research and cite.

For example, if personally chose topic 1, I would give the reader some background on why I chose the topic, how my family came to celebrate the tradition and why it means to me with respect to the environment that others view it in.

Let's take Christmas for example. My family is primarily jewish. How did they come to celebrate christmas and what does it mean to me if I'm not christian? Well my family celebrates christmas because when my great great grandparents immigrated to the US, christianity was the dominant religion in the US and christmas was already a "national holiday" Because it was celebrated by most people in both a non-secular, and secular way, my great grandparents viewed it as an American holiday and due to their strong belief in cultural integration, they decided to celebrate it as well and it became a time when family members congregated and exchanged gifts.

I would probably also give some background and history on Christmas in the US, which is quite interesting and an entire subject in it's self and involves the Dutch, the Sammi people, and Coca-Cola....and Jesus and Romans and Pagans as well.

I would discuss current views of Christmas. Many individuals, especially outside of the US, perceive American christmas, or even Western Christmas in general, as a commercial holiday. But in my view, it's only exploited by a capitalist economy and this does not reflect how it's perceived and experienced by the average Westerner. I would tie this all together to present how I perceive Christmas and how I experience it in the context of my environment.

So you see there's a lot to talk about.