Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 10:05 am

I listen to songs over and over again all the time. My family knows that it is my "thing" to do. I think it's an Aspie trait not related to OCD.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

17 May 2016, 2:21 pm

My best friend once asked me how i still can stand a song after hearing it over and over and over again. Normal people seem to dislike a song after hearing it 2-3 times on repeat. Not for me, sometimes i listen to the same song literally all day long. I wouldnt say its OCD because its not a thing i "must" do to reduce anxiety or pain, but its a positive thing. i LIKE hearing a specific song over and over again. I dont know why but when i found a tune that i like i just want to hear it again. And again. And again. Its just the way i am...

Peace
TK

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 2:24 pm

Hngh, yes. I have had the somg 'Stronger than You' from Steven Universe stuck in my head for the past two days.

I think I've listened to every cover on Youtube. 8O

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 5:01 pm

I'm doing this right now! My family finds it so weird.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

I've done this before, with multiple different songs, too.

Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is one of my favorites.

wondering2
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

I know I listen to the same few operas over and over again. Usually, I take one opera and listen to it repeatedly for days, sometimes weeks, until I know every single verses and notes. I find that I just need to listen to the whole thing, and some specific part of it to satisfy me, much like I sometimes need to rub the palm of my hand on some materials (stimming). It's very nice to listen over and over again to the same thing.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 9:04 pm

I use Infinite Looper <click> to listen to the same song repeatedly. I don't think I have OCD.

Maeve1Fairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

I thought I might share the song name Run Away by RadioBlackband with you all,because it is my obsessive listening choice.They also have a song called "Nothing Is Permanent" that I really like to listen to over and over again.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 1:57 pm

Hm, I recall having similar fixations with songs as a teen, I might re-read an old book today and I'll even remember the music I read that story to originally years ago, it's like it all becomes interwoven with the plot and the characters.
I would often scavenge old CD's, even stereo parts and broken headphones from my older sister's hoard to fuel my own interests and start to build up a decent spot in my room where I could happily play music. Back then if I managed to get hold of a new album, it would take weeks to work through the music so that I would be 'listening' and not 'hearing' it. Once I could listen, the interest in a song seemed to become more natural and I might tire of it but still like it, or not. Sometimes I'd hear a song on the radio in the car, and spend hours each day laying in wait with my stereo's radio on, a blank tape cartridge in the record position, waiting for that song.
These days the fixations on a single song for a long time is pretty much gone. I have a broader taste in genres and quickly get to the point where I can comfortably listen to a new album, so excessive song repeats are confined to within the first week of having them. I do still have one remaining ritual where I play the same song, actually an opera excerpt, whenever I get on my treadmill in the evenings, however.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:20 pm

I sometimes thinks OCD gets misused because the repetitive behaviors someone does gets misunderstood or the other person doesn't even understand what OCD is, especially those who claim they have it so they go "I am so OCD about x, y, and z."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I sometimes thinks OCD gets misused because the repetitive behaviors someone does gets misunderstood or the other person doesn't even understand what OCD is, especially those who claim they have it so they go "I am so OCD about x, y, and z."

I feel the same way about this issue, that and the excessive usage by non-depressed, happy, out-going persons on being depressed, e.g. 'I had a bad day, I'm so depressed right now!' I always want to sarcastically reply, 'I've had a bad a decade: ego, visa vi, I am,' etc... It and OCD look to have been absorbed into popular phrases as a lighthearted form of self-deprecation to gain attention. :/ I used to talk to someone with OCD who told me at his worst he had to wash himself with white spirit every morning just so he could feel clean enough to go to work.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2022, 6:00 pm

I feel that way with "I'll be Over You" by Toto. I have the essentials album so i listen to that constantly. they are an example of music that takes my mind to different pleasant places. Mom and I was the youtube of that song years ago and she was hip to it. I was surprised how much this church lady know about music and songs! about a year and a half ago this song popped in my head and i searched "toto" and it was the first or second result. It makes me cry a lot too. The romantic part doesn't get me it, i translate love songs to other experiences

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 6:14 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
I feel that way with "I'll be Over You" by Toto. I have the essentials album so i listen to that constantly. they are an example of music that takes my mind to different pleasant places. Mom and I was the youtube of that song years ago and she was hip to it. I was surprised how much this church lady know about music and songs! about a year and a half ago this song popped in my head and i searched "toto" and it was the first or second result. It makes me cry a lot too. The romantic part doesn't get me it, i translate love songs to other experiences

I hope you realize that you are replying to a post made five years ago.

And its on a thread that started eleven years ago.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 6:19 pm

Listening to the same song over and over in an obsessive way is not an example of "obsessive compulsive disorder".

In fact its more of an "aspie obsession" than an OCD obsession.

An OCD person obsessed with door knobs will compulsively wash doorknobs because he is afraid to "catch germs".

An aspie who is obsessed with doorknobs will...collect doorknobs, buy coffee table books with illustrations of the history evolution, and infinite variety of doorknobs, and will bore folks to death at parties monologuing about doorknobs.

Not the same thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:07 pm

I find myself listening to the same songs over and over again. I think it's a part of autism.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:34 pm

I did one song on repeat for 11 hours a few weeks ago.