Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2005, 4:32 pm

I am in trouble with school right now. I am not failing (I don't think) but I am always behind and forgetting to do things. This has pretty much been the case my whole life (when I was in 3rd grade I accumulated a large horde of papers in my desk of old homework assignments which were never completed). I am extremely bright, and find school incredibly boring and easy. I need help now more than ever because since I am a sophomore in high school, failing or doing poorly for one year could prevent me from entering college. I know the solution should simply be more motivation but I just can't bring myself to do it. Has anybody else been through this situation? If so, how did you get through it (if you did)?

Another thing... I do very well on my own. I have read whole books on science and mathematics and I have understood them. I read non-fiction for enjoyment. I am always debating on the internet (and I often win). The friends I have are always asking me questions and opinions on things because they look to me as an expert in almost everything. And here I am doing badly in school. Something just isn't right...

Draylean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2005, 8:38 am

Hi!

You sound a bit like me, because I always forget to do things. Which sort of collides with me being a perfectionist. My problem though is to find the motivation to actually SHOW UP.

Enough about that. Does it help if you write things down? Like a checklist?

Good luck!

JustineMarie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2005, 4:36 pm

I know you wrote this like a month ago...I hope this isn't too late..

I have always had the same problem you have. Things get too easy, I stop caring, grades fall. My way to combat it, and trust me- this is NOT easy- is to force myself to focus. To focus, you need a reward- my reward is that I won't be 'talked down to' by my peers and I will be given back the respect that I loose because of my difficulty with social skills. University is a good goal, but it is too far off in the future...and if social peace of mind isn't your thing, perhaps you can reward yourself with chocolate or something you like to eat for every 75 you get...

If you are good at doing stuff alone, use that to your advantage. I teach myself a lot of things...teachers really aren't that reliable, and they have a way of making everything boring...

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2005, 5:13 am

by any chance, have you any time felt that computer games , 'take away your attention for studies' , which in turn makes school get worse?

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 7:17 pm

Well, I think you've basically stated where I've come from, Rekkr. One thing that I've found was helpful was finding a teacher who I work well with and they can help me make sure I get everything done and turned in. Up through elementary school, I was self-taught, so this was not an issue, but I've struggled in the school environment since.

Rekkr, I'm assuming you have an autism spectrum condition, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. You might want to let your teachers know about it (and ask to keep it confidential) just so that they have an idea. :) Also, our school has a system that helps all students who either have learning disabilities or some other difficulties. Homework is written down in a blue folder, signed by the teachers and parents once it is turned in. The students are required to check in with a supervising teacher at the end of each day to make sure they've done all their work. Something like this might be a little bit extreme, but it also might help.