Difference between high-functioning autism and aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

All my doctor's have referred to me as a "high-functioning autistic". What are the known differences between the two, because I have a hard time distinguishing the two apart.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 1:00 pm

This question confuses me as well, I am reading Tony Atwood's Complete Guide to Asperger's and it still has not explained it, partly because they seem to be used interchangeably by many doctors.

From page 45, the book states that a review of research that compares the abilities of children with AS to those with HFA states that there are the same amount of studies showing a difference as there are studies that show no difference.

The book then states that there is no convincing data confirming that these are two distinct disorders. He then says the profiles of social and behavioural abilities are so similar and have exactly the same treatment, so trying to make them out separately is not an issue (according to Tony Atwood anyway).

I am just trying to understand it, myself. Hope that helps!

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

I do not know if this is accurate or not, but I have always thought of it like this:

High Functioning Autism: You had some kind of a speech issue when you were little (around 2 or 3).
Asperger's: No speech issue.

From what I have seen, there is no other difference.

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

I thought the difference was ...

1. No speech delay in Aspergers
2. One area of obsessive interest

?

My daughter's neurologist described Aspergers as being a type of "social dyslexia."

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Also, you have to have an average to above average IQ to be diagnosed with Aspergers. This isn't true for Autism, no matter where on the spectrum you fall...either low-functioning or high functioning.

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

Now, in May of 2013, this will all change right? Aspergers will now be on the spectrum, along with PDD...but right now it's not.

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

silenthawk wrote:
All my doctor's have referred to me as a "high-functioning autistic". What are the known differences between the two, because I have a hard time distinguishing the two apart.

I bet you just had a speech delay when you were a kid and maybe no one obsessive interest?

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

I mean, it is on the spectrum now, but it won't have it's own name in May 2013..it will just be "Autism".

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

Blueskygirl wrote:
Now, in May of 2013, this will all change right? Aspergers will now be on the spectrum, along with PDD...but right now it's not.

It's on the spectrum now - the DSM-5 proposed changes change all the diagnoses to only "autistic spectrum"

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Autism is spelled with 6 letter and Asperger's is spelled with 9.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

i always thought the difference was something like:
people with autism dont like being around other people
people with aspergers want to be around others, but just dont know how to do so - thus the "active but odd" thing (which is me in a nutshell)

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

People with HFA have webbed toes, and people with AS have webbed fingers. Also, people with HFA hate midgets. HATE them. So if you're ever unsure about whether someone has HFA or AS, casually mention Verne Troyer and watch their eyes for signs of anger.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

Does this mean Buddy is HFA? Or does Buddy like little people but unaware of being socially offensive?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_dL_IMPP4[/youtube]

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

Quote:
High Functioning Autism: You had some kind of a speech issue when you were little (around 2 or 3).

Well, I did have a speech delay when I was younger. I didn't speak well until I was 3 or 4.
Quote:
One area of obsessive interest

Hmm...my interests are limited. I like music, I used to like video games but I don't play them anymore, I like to exercise, though I often can't find the time to do it. But I wouldn't consider any of my interests "obsessive".

Quote:
people with aspergers want to be around others, but just dont know how to do so - thus the "active but odd" thing (which is me in a nutshell)

That's me too. I like to talk to people. I just can't find anything good to talk about. I like making and having friends, but I have trouble doing so because conversations are hard.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

silenthawk wrote:
Quote:

Well, I did have a speech delay when I was younger. I didn't speak well until I was 3 or 4.
Quote:
One area of obsessive interest

Hmm...my interests are limited. I like music, I used to like video games but I don't play them anymore, I like to exercise, though I often can't find the time to do it. But I wouldn't consider any of my interests "obsessive".

Quote:

That's me too. I like to talk to people. I just can't find anything good to talk about. I like making and having friends, but I have trouble doing so because conversations are hard.

i didn't speak til 4.5 yrs, and i was thought to be deaf 8O (quite ironic when you consider what i do...) :roll:

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:26 pm

HFA is not technically a diagnostic term and can refer to two things. First of all, HFA can be high-functioning classic autism, which is similar to Aspergers in many ways, but there ARE differences as well. HFA can also refer to the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum (so can include some classic autistic people, along with those with Aspergers and PDDNOS). It all depends on how is using the term and in what context. If you had a speech delay, then in your case, as long as you fit the rest of the diagnostic criteria for classic autism, then you would be high-functioning classic autism. If you do not fit the rest of the diagnostic criteria for classic autism, then you would be PDDNOS (which is still a form of HFA).

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)