Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

I have abandoned and been abandoned. It sucks both ways to be honest. People do have good reasons and they have bad reasons for it.

Downtown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

I sometimes get frustrated when my friends in general don't initiate things with me.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 5:38 am

i have very few friends.......only 3-4
2 of them have been my past colleagues.
1 of them is my college friend.
1 of them stayed in the area i was staying previously

i had lost contact with my college friend for many years.....she changed once she got married
but then we met thru social networking site and though i talk with her in couple of months time.
i feel a change in her behaviour

another 2 of my colleagues also i had lost touch they were not calling up for couple of years
then recently they called up,

People change and we need to understand that....also we should not dig deep into their personal
life...its better if they want to disclose something on their own.

I cherish my few friends....the lady who stayed in my area previously i have helped her a lot
financially, also giving many of my books to her for reading.

i think if we are good with our friends and also keep a safe distance rather then barging ahead and becoming clingy
they will definitely be there for us.

BatofZion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Have I had positive life changes? Yes.

Have they ever coincided with having friends? No.

People abandon me all the time. I figure that's just the nature of the world.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

This has happened to me a few times, but usually, it's mutual if that makes sense. I did have one friend, my best friend at the time, just drop away for no apparent reason. This was before I knew I was an Aspie or had even heard of Asperger's for that matter. We were good friends, hung out a lot, went to movies, baseball games, etc. One day, he just stopped returning my calls.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
minervx wrote:
Yeah, it happens.

If a person doesn't enjoy my company, they have a right to not be my friend. I don't really consider it their fault; we all want different things in life. I can't expect someone to just serve my interest without me serving theirs.

I've had at least 5 best friends leave me, 3 of which, it was mainly my fault. But I grow and learn from that.

The way I see it: I lose one friend, so what? There's millions of people out there. The empty space of one person can easily be filled by another person who means a lot to me.

I don't expect anyone to suffer through my presence. Nor do I expect to get and not receive.

It's not so much losing a friend that bothered me. It was how it happened and the why. Not to mention the timing. Friends have a habit of suddenly deciding they don't like me whenever I'm going through hard times. I know I can sometimes be difficult to handle, but am I really so bad?

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Not knowing how it happened is the worst part.

It depends on the case. Sometimes, when someone "abandons" you, it is temporary as they are very busy for a month or two.

I don't think its a personal thing. It's probably all relative. I may have been left behind for people who are more interesting to the other person. Or they may have unintentionally misjudged me.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

minervx wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
minervx wrote:
Yeah, it happens.

If a person doesn't enjoy my company, they have a right to not be my friend. I don't really consider it their fault; we all want different things in life. I can't expect someone to just serve my interest without me serving theirs.

I've had at least 5 best friends leave me, 3 of which, it was mainly my fault. But I grow and learn from that.

The way I see it: I lose one friend, so what? There's millions of people out there. The empty space of one person can easily be filled by another person who means a lot to me.

I don't expect anyone to suffer through my presence. Nor do I expect to get and not receive.

It's not so much losing a friend that bothered me. It was how it happened and the why. Not to mention the timing. Friends have a habit of suddenly deciding they don't like me whenever I'm going through hard times. I know I can sometimes be difficult to handle, but am I really so bad?

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Not knowing how it happened is the worst part.

It depends on the case. Sometimes, when someone "abandons" you, it is temporary as they are very busy for a month or two.

I don't think its a personal thing. It's probably all relative. I may have been left behind for people who are more interesting to the other person. Or they may have unintentionally misjudged me.

Very true. More often than not, the abandonment is not entirely personal, especially when people are young and still experimenting with what they really want in a friendship. It's common for someone to want one thing, but their friend may want something different, and they end up drifting apart because of this. Many friendships tend to end this way.

It is about the depth of the relationship at times, though. I have a few friends that I'm not able to see or talk with that often for various reasons (distance, work, lack of money), but we have shared important memories together, and when we get together, it's like we never left each other.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 5:58 am

Yeah it's my life story.

It's likely because I'm morose and depressed whiner.

Only the extremely tolerant stick around.

fell_up
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2011, 6:50 am

It has happened to me many times. They stop inviting me because they either think I'm boring or they discover that I'm inept socially.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

As an aspie, I can successfully make friends with people in school and at work. But the trouble that I am having is maintaining the friendships.

For instance, I try making friends with someone in a particular class or workplace. When the course is over (or when we plan to work elsewhere), we guys decide to swap contact info. Now here's the problem, I try to occasionally contact the friend from school or work via cell phone, email, or Facebook but the friend hardly or never returns my messages. In other words, he/she doesn't say anything to me at all. This problem has been happening since college and it really sucks. I don't know why this continues to happen for.