playing a few games alot rather than playing a lot of games

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

This is what I do.

Partly because obsession is on the AS spectrum, and I've been really obsessed with a video game.

I used to buy 1 or 2 new video games each month, but I realize that what video game I play this month won't matter at all in 2 years, so what's the point? So, I've just stuck with a handful of games which I return to each year.

I'm not the kind of person to just play a game for a short period of time and enjoy it. Usually, it takes me a while to get into a game. And once I'm into, I want to master it.

Anyone who is similar to me?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

I have a Gamefly subscription, so I usually just beat the game on normal difficulty then go to the next one. However, some games I buy new I'll completely master like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 for example. I also got the platinum trophy recently in "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow" for PS3 which means I mastered it obviously.

Papa_Smurf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

I'm fairly frugal, so I don't buy a game unless it's well-reviewed and it has good value (multiplayer, long campaign, etc). I needed some cash a month ago, so I sold probably 75% of my games (down to 4 now), and I haven't missed them so far.

"The superior man is the providence of the inferior. He is eyes for the blind, strength for the weak, and a shield for the defenseless. He stands erect by bending above the fallen. He rises by lifting others."

- Robert G. Ingersoll

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

I generally buy maybe 1 or 2 games a year. It amazes me how some people have hundreds of games, most of which they don't play for more than a week.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 7:52 am

SammichEater wrote:
I generally buy maybe 1 or 2 games a year. It amazes me how some people have hundreds of games, most of which they don't play for more than a week.

Yes, some people.... such as myself... tend to be like that. At least somewhat.

I dont focus very well on single games. It depends on the game.... too much story crap or cinema scenes will turn me away from it after a time, making it hard to focus on completing it. If it's too easy, that also will bore me.

Some games DO hold my attention though..... all the import shmups I have, Roguelikes, stuff like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress..... those will actually hold my attention all the way through. As it is, I just beat Dungeons of Dredmor on it's middle difficulty after 60-ish hours, and I'll probably put even more time into it soon.

But still, games like that are rare.

I tend to have money to blow on stuff, and since I dont drink or any of that crap, dont listen to music other than stuff like game soundtracks, and dont watch movies or TV shows EVER, all blowable money gets spent on the games. And I'm an impulse buyer; if it's shiny and vaguely interesting, I might well buy it.

To be fair though, gaming IS my main hobby, and I have silly amounts of free time.... so it does kinda make sense that I buy so many.

Lately I'm trying to force myself to FOCUS a bit more and actually finish some of the ones I start, that arent the above-mentioned group. Currently, playing Record of Argarest War: Zero. I *will* finish this, oh yes. Determined!

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

SammichEater wrote:

that confounds me too.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

minervx wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

that confounds me too.

Part of the reason being, for me at least, that if I dont TRY the games, I might be missing out on something that I'd.... well, hugely regret missing out on.

And it's the truth; I've found ALOT of games that I just absolutely love where, if I hadnt tried them out on a whim, I'd have entirely missed them..... and that'd be a terrible shame. Something like Demon's Souls, for instance. Didnt know much about it when it released. Tried it anyway. Loved it. Easily one of my favorites for the PS3.

But like I'd said beforfe, gaming is the main thing I do. For someone where it's NOT their main thing, buying alot of them probably doesnt make sense. For me though, it makes perfect sense.

.....and I have the money anyway, and it's like, what in hell else am I going to do with it? Buy furniture? I think not.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Aug 2011, 2:34 am

This thread describes me perfectly.

EbenCooke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2016, 1:55 pm

Yeah, that's exactly how I play. I don't see how it's possible to play everything, as some people seem to do. A game either grabs me right away, and I play it to 100%, or I drop it.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 3:01 pm

I have around twenty games that I regularly switch to, depending on what I'm currently interested in.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

vegam
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

Yup. There's probably like five or so games that I play regularly, and I replay them over and over again. I've been playing Skyrim since it came out five years ago, and even though I've done pretty much everything that I could possibly do with the game, I still play it pretty often.

I always find it difficult to get into new games, especially if they're not in a franchise I'm already familiar with.

Contact me at: [email protected]

entsaex_accordingly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

There are a select few games to which I have a serious dedication (SSBM, Cave Story, Counter Strike, System Shock 2, Environmental Station Alpha), but I also tend to mindlessly collect games on steam. I'm sure much of this behavior stems from my interest in game development so I like to experience and support indie games. There are a lot of games I have in my library that I've played for a bit and got bored and never looked back. But when I really like a game, I will try to exhaust it of all it has to offer. I wish I could play to completion every game I even sort of enjoyed but I just don't have that kind of free time.

Misery wrote:
Part of the reason being, for me at least, that if I dont TRY the games, I might be missing out on something that I'd.... well, hugely regret missing out on.

That's exactly how I roll. Particularly with indie games, which tend to be fairly inexpensive. If someone I trust suggests a game to me, I'm probably gonna check it out.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 8:32 pm

I am not as big of a gamer as I want to be. Since I have no life my goal is to be that guy that has no life that is really good. I am not that person, I can barely make hold my own in multiplayer but I was thrilled when I made it to the top three players on a Doom map. As for how much I game, it depends on the week and the month and the year, I can play a few titles a year to dozens. This year is heading in the right direction with Skyrim, Doom, Turok, Metroid and Minecraft.

MadFialka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2016, 8:28 am

I have a handful of games I play repeatedly, and I have very specific things I look for in games in order to be interested in them. Sometimes I'll check out the new releases and reviews, but in the end I end up making my umpteenth Skyrim character or starting another Dragon Age run (with a few new mods installed, maybe) instead of buying anything. I'd rather just play a game I know I'll like rather than taking the risk of devoting hours to something only to end up dropping it. I actually wish I wasn't like that, as one of my favorite ever game series (Bioshock) does not fit inside my very narrow requirements for Game I Would Play (TM), so there's surely other games out there I would love and am missing out on.

There's also the fact that I spend A LOT of time on just one playthrough. I want to find all the stuff, see everything there is to see, collect all the lore (even if I'll never get around to reading it all despite intending to do so), talk to all the characters, finish all the quests. When I'm not playing I'm reading fanfiction pertaining to it. We're talking hundreds of hours here, and I already struggle to limit my gaming time with just the two games (both of which I've played before) I'm currently switching between. I simply cannot fathom having a hundred games on my PC... I would never find the time to even touch the majority of them, and that's even if I freed up more time by, you know... not working/doing house things/taking care of the kid/taking care of the pets/taking care of the boyfriend/taking care of myself/etc.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 2:36 pm

MadFialka wrote:
...and that's even if I freed up more time by, you know... not working/doing house things/taking care of the kid/taking care of the pets/taking care of the boyfriend/taking care of myself/etc.

The best gaming is gaming in the face of irresponsibility, its kinda like giving a middle finger at life.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2016, 2:52 pm

Same as OP, and it's also because I just can't afford buying more games unless if I were ready to starve until next month. I'd buy a few more games otherwise.