Tired of being so quiet and having nothing to say

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

Ive been like this for the past 6 years of my life...

its getting really old......

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

Right.... I tend to not have anything to say because i assume most things should be obvious. But of course they aren't........ Hell. Neurotypicals LOVE talk in bout silly trivial obvious junk as if it's new and amazing. Who knows? Maybe you could blow a few minds if you let out your real thoughts as opposed to focusing energy on figuring out what mindless small talk you can make.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

Blowing minds is sort of fun, if you can avoid feeling depressed when it seems like no one understands what you're saying. At some point though you may simply not care what anyone thinks about anything. Once that happens there is no limit.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

6 years? I've been like that all my life. :) I went through a period where it bothered me, but I don't care anymore.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

Hey, as the man once said, just calls 'em as you sees 'em, and let the chips fall where they may. I have done this for years and it's kind of fun to watch people's expressions sometimes. I have made it into a sport! The thing is though, they often need to hear something that isn't just a rehash of the usual NT drivel. The problem is that they most likely won't stop to consider another opinion, or point of view. So what? Put your two cents worth in anyway.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

Zen wrote:
6 years? I've been like that all my life. :) I went through a period where it bothered me, but I don't care anymore.

Me too, and it doesn't bother me one bit.

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm

AtticusKane wrote:
Right.... I tend to not have anything to say because i assume most things should be obvious. But of course they aren't........ Hell. Neurotypicals LOVE talk in bout silly trivial obvious junk as if it's new and amazing. Who knows? Maybe you could blow a few minds if you let out your real thoughts as opposed to focusing energy on figuring out what mindless small talk you can make.

I freakin know! That drives me nuts! Then when I go in and tell them that they're all idiots because the topic is juvenile; A while ago on Facebook of all places, a couple of NT's were arguing the definition of ret*d... I know right? They even brought religion into it, and then I said that it was juvenile and idiotic. What happened next is my favorite part, they know that I'm right, but of course like the NT's they are, they have to deny it and start throwing insults at me that make no logical or rational sense like: Calling my name girly (My name is Conor) that name hasn't been used as a girls name for over 137 years, and telling me to cut my hair, my hair is actually long, it goes to my shoulders but I have gotten many many compliments that it actually looks good for a dude (I lift weights so I'm not textbook "long haired kid"). I didn't take any of it personally because they were just being stupid, I had a good laugh about it to myself.
I pull insightful stuff out of thin air all the time, my NT siblings think that it's amazing. If they had any hint of common sense (I think it would make more sense to say AS Sense) if they had a hint of AS Sense they could do it as easily as I do.

Panic, start saying what you want, if the people you're talking to don't like it, tough for them. You've had the AS Sense to shut your mouth for 6 years, so maybe you have a pretty decent sense of what is going on and what people are thinking (At least that's the way it worked for me, no one understood/understands me cuz I'm AS so I've had to teach myself everything I know and they way I did that was observing, keeping my mouth shut, and getting inside peoples minds) simple really but NT's seem to find it impossible.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2011, 9:07 am

Are you guys referring to the blank, silent look that one gets after saying something?
I'm going to try to learn to enjoy it. It DOES seem pretty funny in retrospect.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

It's not that I have nothing to say. I have loads to say, but am always frightened to speak up in a group of people because....I don't even know why, but I am. I think of something relevant to the conversation, but they are all talking so I can't get a word in edgeways anyway, so I just end up standing there listening. Then people then assume that I am quiet and so won't give me a chance to speak at all. I hate it - I really want normal social skills - I can't go on being like this.

Last edited by Joe90 on 04 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:28 am

I don't talk much and if I do, people think I didn't understand the conversation.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

SammichEater wrote:
Zen wrote:

Me too, and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Same here. Silence is gold :)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's not that I have nothing to say. I have loads to say, but am always frightened to speak up in a group of people because....I know even know why, but I am. I think of something relevant to the conversation, but they are all talking so I can't get a word in edgeways anyway, so I just end up standing there listening. Then people then assume that I am quiet and so won't give me a chance to speak at all. I hate it - I really want normal social skills - I can't go on being like this.

I've got exactly thesame thing but I have no idea how to change it and I am far too scared to find out by trial and error.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

Swordfish210 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
It's not that I have nothing to say. I have loads to say, but am always frightened to speak up in a group of people because....I know even know why, but I am. I think of something relevant to the conversation, but they are all talking so I can't get a word in edgeways anyway, so I just end up standing there listening. Then people then assume that I am quiet and so won't give me a chance to speak at all. I hate it - I really want normal social skills - I can't go on being like this.

I've got exactly thesame thing but I have no idea how to change it and I am far too scared to find out by trial and error.

Same here.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

I wish that I could keep quiet. Every time I open my mouth, I get myself in trouble.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

Swordfish210 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes, it's one of those things. I'm a bit like an NT - I think that social interaction is so important that I'm afraid to go wrong and then look stupid. I think I go with the saying ''it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt''.

I am an extrovert Aspie, by the way, so maybe what people think of me and how my social interaction goes is quite important to me.