28 Aug 2011, 7:15 pm

QUOTE: "I'll PM you."

What does PM mean?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Ha wrote:
It is time to apply the civil rights laws protecting the right to work for people with ASD!

During the early days of implementing the civil-rights law to equal employment for racial minorities, companies had sensitivity training programs for their staff to prepare them for racial integration of the workplace. They had sensitivity training because racial minorities are not afraid to sue for violations.

There needs to be ASD sensitivity training in the workplace too.

The feminist movement forced women's rights to equal employment by making companies provide a workplace that is not a hostile environment for women. Anti-women verbal slurs and pictures of naked ladies disappeared from the workplace. Why? Because people sue if their rights are violated.

Let's get rid of hostile environments for ASD workers too!

Has anyone out there on Wrong Planet experienced a workplace with insensitive co-workers, heard the R word at work etc? Do you have a good enough case to bring a lawsuit?

Individuals diagnosed with ASD's can already get this help through the American's with Disabilities Act. I know an individual with Aspergers that pursued this avenue, and their fellow employees received Asperger awareness training from a professional. One does have to be assessed for disability as required by the Act, but people with ASD's consistently meet the requirements of disability within the Act. A person is not always going to be the best liked employee for protecting their rights like this, but it has saved jobs for some individuals, that are strong enough to stay in a work environment that is not an optimal one.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

Ha wrote:
QUOTE: "I'll PM you."

What does PM mean?
what he meant was a private message

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 10:24 pm

So what about compassionate inclusion to experience comparative employment experiences within normalcy. For individual not able to get a job yet because of disability the ADA doesn't really help. This is the inclusion movement I was thinking about.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

ci wrote:
So what about compassionate inclusion to experience comparative employment experiences within normalcy. For individual not able to get a job yet because of disability the ADA doesn't really help. This is the inclusion movement I was thinking about.
i would agree with you about the ADA.the mainstream disability movement doesnt want people with autism or mental retardation to have the right to breath.i wish people on this forum would get that autism speaks is not the enemy,mainstream disability culture is

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

When they want to hide us away where applicable for political reasons. Yet I am not even sure what the mainstream disability culture is. I do not join groups in exception for this one. I have been asked but I say I cannot due to conflict of interest reasons which just means if I cannot grasp exactly their intentions I want nothing to do with it.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm

ci wrote:
When they want to hide us away where applicable for political reasons. Yet I am not even sure what the mainstream disability culture is. I do not join groups in exception for this one. I have been asked but I say I cannot due to conflict of interest reasons which just means if I cannot grasp exactly their intentions I want nothing to do with it.
the only one im still active on is myhandicap.com,i recently made a post on irlen filters that someone found helpfull.i does seem like people dont want you around for the most part.i think it would be great to have a thoughtful advocate like you on the disabilities forums.your message is long over due on those forums

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

There are people here that are nice and talk to me in PM. There is also new people that seem nice as well. I am not sure if my going around from forum to forum on the internet will help much. I find that if I just do what I envision to happen in the world around me it tends to just get done then just hoping for others to do it.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

aghogday wrote:
Individual with Aspergers that pursued this avenue, and their fellow employees received Asperger awareness training from a professional. One does have to be assessed for disability as required by the Act, but people with ASD's consistently meet the requirements of disability within the Act. A person is not always going to be the best liked employee for protecting their rights like this, but it has saved jobs for some individuals, that are strong enough to stay in a work environment that is not an optimal one.

I doubt it would be much use in "at will employment" states like California. Companies don't have to give you a contract and they can get rid of you whenever they want for any "official" reason/excuse that isn't listed in discrimination laws. Job interviews are basically the same way if you show some sign of physical or learning disability, or anything they might have to make accommodations for, your interview will end with them saying "we'll call you when we make our decision", which is basically the politically correct way of saying "GTFO gimp/ret*d!".

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

The solution resides in the human spirit.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:53 am

John_Browning wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Individual with Aspergers that pursued this avenue, and their fellow employees received Asperger awareness training from a professional. One does have to be assessed for disability as required by the Act, but people with ASD's consistently meet the requirements of disability within the Act. A person is not always going to be the best liked employee for protecting their rights like this, but it has saved jobs for some individuals, that are strong enough to stay in a work environment that is not an optimal one.

I doubt it would be much use in "at will employment" states like California. Companies don't have to give you a contract and they can get rid of you whenever they want for any "official" reason/excuse that isn't listed in discrimination laws. Job interviews are basically the same way if you show some sign of physical or learning disability, or anything they might have to make accommodations for, your interview will end with them saying "we'll call you when we make our decision", which is basically the politically correct way of saying "GTFO gimp/ret*d!".

The individual, that it helped, was in a "at will employment state". Extremely high functioning person with Aspergers in a job paying over 100K in a hospital. You wouldn't think that professionals in the medical field would act like teenagers in middleschool, but the bullying goes on for some in the workplace, particularly if one stands their ground.

She was on the verge of getting fired for issues directly related to Aspergers. In her situation she had nothing to lose to go for the protection, and it has kept her in the job, with the accommodations she has needed to date.

I haven't heard of many people that have aspergers that have used this card to save their job, but in the correct circumstance it can work. That's a tough decision an individual would have to make. She had impeccable skills, beyond reproach, if not, she wouldn't likely have kept her job.

The Asperger disability in the workplace can be a tough one, because the coworkers can't reach out and touch it; in this case they had no idea what it was.

It's not seen as a real disability in the real working world, and not experienced by some as a disability if they are lucky enough to be in an accommodating environment.

For some though the difference of someone playing a blaring radio, around a person with Aspergers that has sensory issues can be the difference between having a job and not having one.

In her case, she was lucky the ADA was available to protect her.

I don't see the awareness coming for Aspergers to solve this problem in the workplace, without some kind of legal protection.

The real solution for most people is to find an accommodating work environment; difficult, but possible.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:27 am

I can understand the pessimism of some about alternative inclusion but society does not necessary function from within a box nor do others have to play by the typical rules of typical inclusion. I do experimentation and thus far it is working in part but will take a few years. I cannot go in great depth as far as the theory but can say <Area> inclusion stickers go up where businesses sponsor inclusion in employment for qualifying participants. It is not for Asperger's as A.S does not qualify.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUXAEzaC3Q&feature=autoplay&list=TLSlKb0FPd7BQ&lf=artistob&playnext=8[/youtube]