Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2011, 2:57 am

ummm... how do I explain this...

I feel like I was born in the wrong time, instead of being born on the wrong planet...

I am a girl, I hate fighting, sports bore me, I wear dresses that would have been loved about 500 years ago. I research a ton and study a lot.

In fact, I would LOVE to wear the dress in this picture:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 12-600.jpg

i don't feel like a alien, I feel like... something else. Its very hard to explain. Like I was meant to be a animal, or a character in a story-book. But I certainly don't feel like a klingon.

Does this make sense to anybody?

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2011, 4:10 am

That makes perfect sense, though to me not much beyond that...

I can understand it perfectly well, but I can't say I've heard of it before or have any answer, sounds like you're just super cool! Up yours modern culture!

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 4:26 am

I don't mean to be confrontational, but why would you, a woman, want to live in a time period wherein women had very little political rights? I like to read about and look at pictures of times from centuries ago, but that doesn't mean I'd want to live in them.

The outfits from that time period may look neat to modern eyes, but it was overall probably a sh***y time to live in.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 7:22 am

You should join the washington DC Waltz society.

After finnishing deejaying for a wedding I was handtrucking my equipment litlte-by-little back to the van and kept walking past the event at the venue next door to the room my wedding reception had been.

It was huge room filled with a a couple hundred people dressed in nineteenth centurey outfits with a string band playing nineteenth centurey music. In the middle of the room I could see people waltzing..

I glanced at the people taking breathers outside the door- pretty girls dressed like the girl in your picture talking to some good looking guys with mustaches dressed like Rhett Butler.

Thought Id lost my mind, or had fallen into a time warp- but then I saw the sign advertising it as a "waltz society of greater washington" event.

It did look kinda cool.

EllenDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2011, 8:25 am

Iceveela, I think I know exactly what you mean, I have thought the same thing myself in the past, but I no longer do.

iceveela wrote:
I research a ton and study a lot.

That's the bit that really means you WOULDN'T have liked to live 500 years ago - as a woman you would be unlikely to be allowed to even read. Also, those dresses (and many other aspects) were reserved for a small minority of the upper classes, most women had one or two basic outfits and worked damn hard their whole life.

I do understand what you mean though - I love those sorts of dresses too, and really wish I had opportunities to wear them! That style of dress is actually not as old as you might think, it is more 1800's. 500 years ago they wore simpler, more tunic-style dresses. The other aspect that appeals to me with this is actually the corsets - although they are reputed to be "uncomfortable" I actually find them to be comforting (like wearing a hug!) . Having read more about sensory issues with autism I presume this is related.

The other thing that makes me feel I can relate to a past time is that my "special interest" is self-sufficiency and how household items are produced, which means that I spend a lot of time looking into and practicing growing and preserving plants, cooking and sewing - all the things a women in charge of a household in the past would have been expected to do, but which today tend to be irrelevant hobbies. It makes it hard to connect with other people when their interest in "cooking" relates to how the contestants are performing on Master Chef, and you are more interested in how to store the potatoes until the next crop...

I also used to read a lot of historic fiction, and believed for a long time that I was living in the wrong time, and would have fitted in so much better if I had been born a few hundred years earlier. What changed that for me was finding out more about the reality of women's life in the past. I LIKE being able to learn, to access schooling, to be my own person and not a "possession" of my father/husband. I also like that whilst being "quirky" today might cause some social difficulties, it will not lead to me being burned at the stake as a witch.

I think it really helps to recognize just how much freedom we have today to be who we want to be - some of your choices might make you look a bit "weird", but you do have more freedom in clothing and activities than in any other time period I am aware of. If you would like to explore in greater detail the idea of living in an earlier time period, you could have a look at the Society for Creative Anachronism, which do re-enactment type events, and are generally pretty interested in the reality rather than the romantic ideas about the past.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 8:37 am

If you go to Japan you can wear those dresses every single day all over the place and you will not look out of place at all, in fact you will probably fit in with people in Tokyo better than most NTs ;)

http://www.wikihow.com/Dress-Harajuku-Style

In Tokyo the weird dress style originated from the area of Shibuya Station (made world famous by Hachiko the dog) and you cn typically wear a sunflower one day and dress up as the Jolly Green Giant the next, I would actually love to be able to go there and walk down the road as a super flamboyant Jack Sparrow lol

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

I also feel that I was born in the wrong time. I like unisex Mod fashions the music of the Mid 60s and guys who look the way that Mick Avory did in the Mid 60s and those guys are extreamley hard to find with the macho Rockers and skinheads who walk the Earth these days. I guess I want a guy who looks like me and Top 40 has bored me since 1987. It's healthier and easier for me to like the 60s. I was pretending to be with the times between 2007 and August 2009 and I ended up getting hooked on energy drinks due to sleepless nights brought on by the mistakes that I've made in the summer of 2009.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

I was born at the wrong time. People are less friendlier and more judgemental. Every old person who I know now all have been married and stayed with their partners, and the only thing that teared them apart was death. So if I had been born a 30s child, instead of a 90s child, I probably would have found someone quite quick and settled down and still been with him today (unless he dies). But these days, marriage and pregnancy is nothing to these youngsters of today. I know lots of girls who I went to school with who have had 3 children before they reached 21, with different fathers for each kid. And there are very few young people I know who are actually having a descent relationship what is lasting. Otherwise, the norm for youngsters of today seem to be having 5-minute relationships. It's got ridiculous. I don't know if this is happening anywhere else - but it certainly is where I live.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

I sometimes think I would have fared better in the 40s or 50s, minus the whole gay thing.