Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dabbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2011, 5:34 am

Has anyone noticed that when they do not get enough sleep they start talking to themselves enter another world. This is not the autistic world, it is another world in itself. The whole world becomes narrow and you miss a lot of what is in the environment. I become restless and almost enter a state of primacy (cave men).

The first time I was sleep deprived I went to a hospital because I was refusing to eat and continued studying.

Is this the problem with schizophrenia. I only have a mild version though, and do not have auditory hallucinations. Although, I can become ultra-irrational upon depriving myself from sleep for roughly 10 days by studying.

Does this mean I have schizophrenia or is it just aspergers and a sleep deficit? Has anyone here with aspergers tried to deprive themselves of sleep? Intentionally or Unintentionally.

What have been the consequences?

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2011, 5:45 am

From what I've read sleep deprivation does that to ANYONE. Why you think they use it to facilitate interrogations? Longest a person ever stayed awake was two weeks or something, a complete NT, and by the end he was raving and jabbering about spiders crawling all over him and other hallucinations. Just get some sleep yo!

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 8:12 am

I dont think this is shizofrenia related: for as far as I know I don't have shizofrenia, and when I have bad insomnia (bad = three nights or more no sleep) I experience similar things to what you have. But why do you deprive yourself from sleeping for 10 days, if you sleep 6 hrs every night you're going to save more time because you'll study faster. Just a tip.

ebot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I'm curious as to why you think this might be schizophrenia-related. Did you seek help and have someone speculate that that's what was going on?

If so, something similar happened to me about a year ago. The air conditioning went out in my apartment and the heat made it impossible to sleep. I went a whole week without adequate sleep and lost my mind. Finally, I wandered into the ER looking for some ambien, and they kept me for a psych evaluation. They determined based on my sleep deprivation-induced "symptomatology", that something else was going on. At one point they also took my blood and scanned it for methamphetamines too. But in the end, it was just sleep that I needed, and when they finally gave me the ambien, it happened. Miraculously, after a couple nights of good rest, all the "symptoms" they had documented went away.

Dabbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2011, 4:25 am

No, I'm just irrational when I do not get enough sleep....

atlasshrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

sleep deprivation can induce schizo symptoms in healthy ppl.
if you are prone to schizo then sleep would aggravate your condition.

sleep deprivation aggravates many illnesses, mental and others like diabetes.

if you regularly sleep poorly it may be a sign of depression, or some other ailment.

Manguy89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

Yeah I've hallucinate when I was sleep deprived. I saw colors. Breathing walls. Get super paranoid. What happens is your brain shuts down parts of your brain. The frontal cortex can shut down. This is the same part that shuts down in schozophrenics. Among many things like decision making, the frontal and prefrontal correct is responsible for keeping reality in check. Hallucinations can indie. Your irrationality can be directly attributed to the fact that your decision making center is shutting down. If you are schizophrenic it just makes it worse