Page 4 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:02 pm

Jensen wrote:
Here it is - on a silver plate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1izup2uX3U

Yup, most people fear the unknown, and paranoia finds easy purchase in the open pores of the mind-blind Aspie.

I used to get very defensive if anybody raised their voice to me, and it took me years to realise that it didn't necessarily mean they had simply decided to attack me, that people did it to emphasise and express their frustration, and expected to have to do that even with very close friends. I still need more real-life practice in dealing with people who do this.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2015, 12:12 pm

Well, if it is, then at least there is some NT quality about us after all! :D

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 1:52 pm

Diamond! I could have written your words myself.......and I went to tons of therapy for it, thinking, I was very-very neurotic.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Feb 2015, 5:25 pm

I can't speak for anyone else but agree with the assessment that I have issues with paranoia, I feel like its obsessive thinking that does it and this anxiety I have just get caught in a loop. I'll get stuck on some uncomfortable thought or worry or incident and I can't stop myself from becoming stressed over it. I'll avoid and withdraw to get to get away from these feelings and that has a real effect on my life obviously, I wish I wasn't like this.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 5:32 pm

That sounds far more like extreme rumination rather than paranoia to me. Try "thought-stopping techniques" (google it).

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Feb 2015, 5:59 pm

B19 wrote:
That sounds far more like extreme rumination rather than paranoia to me. Try "thought-stopping techniques" (google it).

That may be part of it but I do feel how I perceive people's motives and how they will react to me ranges on paranoid, I'm always on the lookout for being screwed and feel things are always a step or two away from unraveling for me. I just feel something bad is always around the corner for me, I always expect the worse and sometimes my anxieties are so irrational when it comes to certains like this fear I have of being arrested/imprisonend or that I have some serious illness and don't know about it. I self-medicate and remove myself, that's how I "reset" myself and just try my best avoid whatever upset me.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 1:16 am

Jacoby wrote:
That may be part of it but I do feel how I perceive people's motives and how they will react to me ranges on paranoid, I'm always on the lookout for being screwed and feel things are always a step or two away from unraveling for me. I just feel something bad is always around the corner for me, I always expect the worse and sometimes my anxieties are so irrational when it comes to certains like this fear I have of being arrested/imprisonend or that I have some serious illness and don't know about it. I self-medicate and remove myself, that's how I "reset" myself and just try my best avoid whatever upset me.

This is very familiar to me. It sure doesn't help that people keep on proving me correct. :(

Keiichiiownsu12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2015, 4:09 am

It's weird how no matter how many times I tell myself that no one is really thinking bad things about me, I keep falling into the same thought pattern of becoming suspicious of people. . .even people who are good friends.

Keiichiiownsu12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2015, 4:11 am

This may sound weird but does anyone ever get paranoid about their paranoia? Like the fear of becoming irrationally afraid and withdrawing because of it?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:40 am

Keiichiiownsu12 wrote:
This may sound weird but does anyone ever get paranoid about their paranoia? Like the fear of becoming irrationally afraid and withdrawing because of it?

If there's a social situation coming up, I sometimes get scared that I'll become too anxious to play my part right. Anxiety has messed up my performance a lot, so it's kind of rational, but it usually doesn't turn out as bad as I'd expected.

lostinlove
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2015, 11:37 am

Jacoby wrote:
I can't speak for anyone else but agree with the assessment that I have issues with paranoia, I feel like its obsessive thinking that does it and this anxiety I have just get caught in a loop. I'll get stuck on some uncomfortable thought or worry or incident and I can't stop myself from becoming stressed over it. I'll avoid and withdraw to get to get away from these feelings and that has a real effect on my life obviously, I wish I wasn't like this.

I could have wrote that myself. Recently I have made a whole situation worse because I obsessed over it, which led to anxiety and odd behaviour. Then I stopped talking to my boyfriend because I was mulling over the situation in my head a lot and finally told him that I needed time on my own (withdrawing from everyone is my go-to way of dealing with things that are hard to deal with) which eventually led to him finishing with me which then in my head proved my theory correct :/

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

lostinlove wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I could have wrote that myself. Recently I have made a whole situation worse because I obsessed over it, which led to anxiety and odd behaviour. Then I stopped talking to my boyfriend because I was mulling over the situation in my head a lot and finally told him that I needed time on my own (withdrawing from everyone is my go-to way of dealing with things that are hard to deal with) which eventually led to him finishing with me which then in my head proved my theory correct :/

We have to consider the possibility that we were/are correct.

lostinlove
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2015, 3:53 pm

From experience I have usually found out much later that I am not correct and have ruined things with my paranoia. BUT even with that knowledge I will still act the same again in a different situation and connect things in a way that seems to prove me right :(

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm

lostinlove wrote:
From experience I have usually found out much later that I am not correct and have ruined things with my paranoia. BUT even with that knowledge I will still act the same again in a different situation and connect things in a way that seems to prove me right :(

I'm assuming that you found out from other people, but what if that's just their story for the purpose of covering up an uncomfortable truth?

lostinlove
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2015, 4:36 am

olympiadis wrote:
lostinlove wrote:

I'm assuming that you found out from other people, but what if that's just their story for the purpose of covering up an uncomfortable truth?

I hadn't considered that possibility, however the frequency in which it happens leads me to believe that there can't possibly be that many uncomfortable truths to cover up and the easiest explanation is that I'm paranoid. I try and run things past trusted friends these days, which has sometimes failed because I didn't realise that they had ulterior motives, but generally this seems to help :)

Keiichiiownsu12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm

What sucks is even though I know that my paranoia is often unjustified, it only takes one simple rejection to fuel the thought of "what if"