Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SuXEed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2006, 7:49 pm

One thing I seem to notice is that I tend to enjoy music where the vocals are of another language than with english lyrics. I don't know why this is, perhaps with english music I can understand the words btu nto comprehend the meaning so I get distracted by the lyrics and don't enjoy them to their full potential, but with foreign language lyrics I don't get distracted by the lyrics so focus more on the actual tune of the vocals.

To my knowledge, the most famous (at least in the UK) foreign language band out there is Rammstein, the German industrial metallers, who even did a song for the film xXx and performed it in the opening sequence on screen, with the usual fire and pyrotechnics of their stage show. German tends to be a popular language, with bands like them and In Extremo being known to even those who do not speak German, such as myself. Slightly lesser known are Japanese bands (including my favourite, Dir En Grey, who are easily the biggest act from there, even so far as being on Korn's current Family Values tour), and some bands also sing a few songs or parts of songs in other languages, such as Breed 77 using spanish, or Soulfly using what I believe to be Portugese. I have also heard of a band called Sigur Ros, not sure what language they are but they seem to be popular enough.

What are your views on bands who sing in a tongue not spoken by you? Any particular bands you'd like to discuss? What makes you prefer either music in your language or music in other languages?

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2006, 9:37 pm

I enjoy listening to foreign languages because of the different sounds (like the ü in French).
But the only song I listen to in a language I don't understand is Dragostea Din Tei (numa numa iei!).

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2006, 12:35 am

Hi,

I like Rammstein too.

I listen some music in spanish:
- Lhasa de Sela
- Colectivo (14 musicians, very good)
- Shakira

I listen to Taima, it's a duo from Quebec (she sings in amerindian, french and english).

I listen to Vintersorg (vicking band from Sweden)

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 7:18 am

Not that I listen to them but Sigur Ros don't sing using any words at all, they use vocals primarily as an instrument.

I listen to alot of bands that sing in german, KMFDM (Partly English), Joachim Witt, Rammstein, Hanzel und Gretyl, Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows.

Theatre of Tragedy sings in a form of old english.

Japanese bands I like are, Moi dix Mois, Malice Mizer, D'espairs Ray and I like some music by a solo artist (Yasushi Ishii) who does the music for Hellsing.

A Mexican band called Hocico that sings in Spanish and partly in English.

Oh and Rammstein is Tanz Metal not Industrial Metal (Tanz meaning Dance) they sound nothing like Ministry which is Industrial Metal they sound more like Joachim Witt.

Origa a Russian pop artist. (Did a song for the Soundtrack for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex).

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

SuXEed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2006, 1:40 pm

Ok, I admit I'm useless with genres, hehe. I'll put my hands up to that, and not trust Kerrang! TV.

As soon as I saw your name on the 'last reply' bit, I knew you were a Moi Dix Mois fan, hehe. Detresse is a godly song if I say so myself :D

Might as well post the other Japanese bands/artists I like in addition to Moi Dix Mois and Dir En Grey; X Japan, Sex Machineguns, Glay, Gackt, Malice Mizer, Due Le Quartz, Miyavi, MUCC, The Candy SPOOKY Theater, Gazette, Kagerou and Schwarz Stein.

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2006, 9:27 am

I don't really care for the language, I don't listen for the lyrics anyway :lol:

Artfulia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2006, 8:38 pm

I'm sort of the same way when it comes to music. There's a russian band called Ivan Kupala that I really like. Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard is my favorite and most of the songs they sing are in echolalia--gibberish words that sound like language.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 9:51 pm

I like -some- foreign language music. My favorite's probably Dark Sanctuary, which is in French and is neo-classical/gothic. I also really like Artrosis, a Spanish gothic/metal band, and L'Ame Imortelle, an industrial/rock band that is in German, I think. (They're Austrian. Some of their songs are in English, though.) I like some stuff by Gackt (Japanese pop star), Lunascape (hard to put into a genre), Noir Desir (French rock) and Vas (which is described as "world alternative").

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2006, 3:25 pm

Sigur Ros are from Iceland.

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2006, 10:00 am

I love J-Rock, and although I'm still discovering it, I already listen to it much more than English music. I espcially love Gackt and Miyavi, although I also listen to some Malice Mizer, X Japan and Tokyo Jihen, and I'm constantly looking for other J-Rock groups. :) (And I adore Mana, of course! :D ) I don't know about music from other countries that much, although I do quite like Natasha Atlas. (I can't remember where she's from though, only that when my sisters went to dance class, they would dance to her music a lot.)

Help revive ReBoot!

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 8:32 pm

I enjoy celtic, japanese and turkish music. This kind of music has different sounds.

My mom says it's the same than english or spanish music, I tell her this music has something different, but she doesn't understand (maybe cuz she is NT :? )

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:08 pm

Estuans interius ira vehementi
Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Sors immanis
Et inanis
Sors immanis
Et inanis

Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Veni veni venias ne me mori facias

Veni veni venias ne me mori facias (Glorioso Generosa)

Sephiroth
Sephiroth
Sephiroth

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:15 pm

Noli manere manere in memoria
Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Saevam iram iram et dolorem
Saevam iram iram et dolorem
Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Ferum terrible
Ferum fatum

Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Veni mi fili veni mi fili
Hic veni da mihi mortem iterum
Veni mi fili veni mi fili
Hic veni da mihi

Noli manere in memoria
Saevam iram et dolorem
Ferum terrible fatum
Ille iterum veniet

Mi fili veni veni veni mi fili

Mi fili veni veni veni mi fili (Qui mortem invitavis)
Mi fili veni veni veni mi fili (Poena funesta natus)
Mi fili veni veni veni mi fili (Noli nomen vocare)
Mi fili veni veni veni mi fili (Ille iterum veniet)

Sephiroth
Sephiroth
Sephiroth

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:19 pm

One-Winged Angel, in the game form and in the "Advent Children" form. I prefer the "Advent Children" lyrics, as they seem, I dunno, right (as in translation).

I also enjoy "The Cruel Angel's Thesis", which I doubt I need to tell anyone where that is from...

On sabbatical...

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:43 pm

Actually, I don't know where it's from, or what it is.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 9:53 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
Actually, I don't know where it's from, or what it is.

(Cue sweatdrop running down Quatermass' head)

I'll let someone else tell him what it is...

On sabbatical...