Difficulty hearing human voices- is this a common AS trait?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

Stargazer2893 wrote:
(instead of asking them to repeat themselves, I'll smile and nod, lol) Can anyone relate?

I actually stopped doing that.

I was quite good at this (=worked out often) but on rare occasions when I was expected to voice my opinion it just made me look creepy, shy or the other figured I was not interested in what they had said/not interested in them.

There are still moments at which I relapse into this old habit. I smile, try to relocate the centre of attention to something else before I notice people's perplexed stares at why the heck I just started "acting like a complete weirdo".

Edit:

Burnbridge wrote:
I usually tell people to call my name and wait a moment before blurting out a bunch of stuff at me. So instead of

I like that. I think I'm going to try asking others to do this if an occasion allows it.

It just occurred to me that I do that for other people on the phone already. Hah. Many utterly fail at catching what I say when I answer the phone unless I wait about 2-3 seconds before I greet them and inform them about who they're talking to.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 2:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's not just us - people are always saying ''what?'' to eachother. My NT family does that all the time. My mum would say something and her sister is always saying, ''huh?'' Or when people say a name of someone they say, ''who?'' Same to everyone else, and it's not just deaf people. My family aren't deaf.

My family doesn't do this very much at all.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:07 am

littlelily613 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
It's not just us - people are always saying ''what?'' to eachother. My NT family does that all the time. My mum would say something and her sister is always saying, ''huh?'' Or when people say a name of someone they say, ''who?'' Same to everyone else, and it's not just deaf people. My family aren't deaf.

My family doesn't do this very much at all.

Well I hear people asking eachother to repeat what they have said because they didn't catch what they said the first time. :?

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

God, I have horrible auditory processing disorder, but my (also AS) boyfriend has amazing auditory processing skills!

I think that, like many traits, auditory processing with autism is about extremes. It seems we're either constantly saying "what?!" or we're naming all the instruments in an orchestra recording :P

It really sucks though, because people don't seem to believe me that I can't hear them. Or sometimes they just don't understand why I can't hear. If someone speaks loudly and clearly, with full enunciation, I can understand no problem. One of my friends if very confident and outspoken, and I never mishear her. But my boyfriend mumbles almost everything he says (or at least doesn't enunciate what so ever) ad it's like he's speaking a different language!