Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Gwyn_ap_Nudd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2005, 11:32 am

Before I knew about Asperger's, I still knew I thought "differently" from most of the people I know. Because of this I have always been interested in personality tests. The thing is, I've always gotten mixed signals from them. Although a few seemed spot-on, most seemed to "get' me wrong.

In some, reading the descriptions of the "other" choices, I'd find one that seemed to me to fit me much better than the one the test results claimed I was. In others, of the choices, the one the test aligned me with was the closest, but it still described a person who was nothing like me.

I think now that the problem is that most of these tests are normed for Neuro-typicals. This opinion is bolstered by the fact that most of the "good" tests were based on the Meyers-Briggs. Those tests "merely" test your position on four "preference" scales (Extraversion/Intraversion, Sensing/iNtuiting, Thinking/Feeling and Judging/Percieving), and having Asperger's skews your preferences toward one end of each scale (Intraversion, Sensing, Thinking, Judging)

More specfically, the I/E scale is concerned with how comfortable one is in social situations, the S/N scale is concerned with wheter one "prefers" the theoretical or the "nuts and bolts," the T/F is concerned with whether truth and facts or emotions are more important to you, and the J/P scale concerns whether clear rules or "open" possibilities are your stong suit.

I usually test out as an INTP. My Percieving is very weak and I occassionally test as an INTJ. My iNtuiting is also fairly weak, but stonger than my Percieving. I think if I were Neurotypical, I'd still test as an INTP but my iNuititing and Percieving would be much stronger, and my Intraversion and Thinking somewhat weaker.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 7:31 pm

Another INTP here. It was a fellow INTP and aspie friend who clued me in to the fact that I might also be aspie. There are several other aspies on the INTP list. What did surprise me was the fact that they didn't all score high on the AQ test.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2005, 7:56 pm

I am an ISTJ/INTJ. I am pretty much on the borderline for the Sensing/Intuiting, and score differently according to which version of the test I take. I believe I have also gotten an INTP before, though I'm not sure, as it was quite some time ago.

I find that the descriptions do not match me well at all.

Another test, the Enneagram Test, fit me more accurately. From what I have heard, a lot of people find that they fit very well with either the Enneagram or the Myers-Briggs, but not both. I scored as a Type 5 on this test, and it fits me perfectly.

Here is a link: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/dis_sample_36.asp?discover

ACG
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2005, 8:24 pm

I come out as an INTP on the Myers-Briggs. However, a friend of mine swears by the Enneagram, and I found the Enneagram much more accurate.

On the Enneagram, I come out as a Social/Sexual 5 with a 6 wing.

It's funny -- I was talking to the Enneagram thing and came up with a theory that classical autism is associated with absolute pure 5 (no influence from the wings). Envisioning the pull to focus on a fixation as gravity, gravity gets so strong than event horizon forms and the person can no longer communicate with the world, only with the chosen focus. That could be how savants are born.

ACG

Dan
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2005, 1:24 am

Civet wrote:
Another test, the Enneagram Test, fit me more accurately....

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/dis_sample_36.asp?discover

I got a tie between a "5" and a "9".

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 5:43 am

*universe implodes*

I hate acronyms. X_x

Gwyn_ap_Nudd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2005, 11:27 am

I score a 5w9 on the Ennegram, myself. It comes much closer than any other test (except Meyers-Briggs), but it still does not quite match.

I think the fact that everyone here who has posted his(her) Ennegram score has a 5 primary interesting. I assume that, like most tests, it was normed for a Neurotypical population, and the 5 "Scientist" profile is descriptive of NT's whose preferences just happen to match Aspie traits.

Gwyn_ap_Nudd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2005, 5:41 pm

I went back over my old Ennegram tests and discounted my high "5" score. That left me with either a 9w5 or a 9w4, depending on how much I discounted the "5"

Reading the description of a 9w4 and asking myself what would the person described be like with Asperger's, I got a description that is a little closer (but not by that much) to me than the 5w9

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2005, 7:38 pm

I scored ISTJ when I took Myers-Briggs. The I and T scores were very extreme, while the S and J scores were more moderate.

I just took the Enneagram Sampler and scored a three-way tie between type 1, type 3, and type 5.

Quote:
Type One: The Reformer

The principled, idealistic type. Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic..

Type Three: The Achiever

The adaptable, success-oriented type. Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best:: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

Type Five: The Investigator

The perceptive, cerebral type. Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

ACG
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2005, 8:26 pm

Your Enneagram wing (the number after the w) has to be one greater than or less than your main type (so you can have a 5w4 or 5w6 but not a 5w9). You can have a 9w1 and 1w9 -- the nine numbers form a circle with 1 connected to 9.

Once you have your main type, a good approximation to your wing is the number above or below you with the higher value.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2005, 3:37 am

I am a 4. (scored 7. i also scored 7 on the 9th type. the addition of the two types gives a good description of me.)

On the Myer-Briggs test, I score INTP or INTJ, depends on my mood! :D

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 5:35 pm

Myers-Briggs: ISTP but borderline INTP (the 'S' is only +1, whatever that means). My I and T were both extreme (both +67), and my P moderate (+22). I didn't really know which way to answer in a lot of the questions though, and had to just randomly pick answers to a couple - no doubt I'd get a completely different result if I did it again in a few day's time, which kind of invalidates the whole thing really I reckon....

Ennegram: I came out as strongly a 5.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 11:15 pm

Last I was tested on this, I came out as an INTJ. Then again that was at least 4 years ago, I've mellowed out some.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2005, 1:09 pm

oh my...I just took one of those tests from another Forum (one for people with Depersonalization Disorder)

I scored as INFP...it was frightenly accurate, too.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2005, 1:13 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
*universe implodes*

I hate acronyms. X_x

HAHAHAHA.

wow, that just made me smile. I feel the same way...so glad someone else does, too

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2005, 2:35 pm

nayashi wrote:
oh my...I just took one of those tests from another Forum (one for people with Depersonalization Disorder)

I scored as INFP...it was frightenly accurate, too.

If you ever want a real shocker, try that test where you have 8 colored panels that you pick from twice. I hav no idea who devised that one but it's uncanny how much it can tell you about yourself just from picking one color over another.