Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

How to get rid of Nihilism?

Open a Nihilist restaurant?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

The best way I've ever found is to put yourself in a position where you genuinely think you are about to die.

Life all of a sudden seems worth fighting for...

Assi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

blunnet wrote:
Assi wrote:

Getting rid of nihilists of course.

I wonder though, what if you threaten their human rights or their life, wouldn't they call for things they claim is crap or valueless, for their defense? Wouldn't that be sort of funny?

Killing nihilists is.. Is something. But it's not a good idea much is it?

If a nihilist would defend itself would one actually be an absolute nihilist?

I wouldn't think of that being funny as it would imply that there isn't an absolute nihilist being threatened.

DC wrote:
The best way I've ever found is to put yourself in a position where you genuinely think you are about to die.

Well, wouldn't an absolute nihilist embrace death and try leap into nonexistence (nihilism)?

shrox was met with confusion when he wrote:

Last edited by Assi on 31 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

existential nihilism erases original sin and frees the person to make their own reason for living.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
The thing about nihilists is that they don't care.

kinda true. I don't care, but then again I am depressed, so that is probably a manifestation of that.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

Knifey wrote:
while there are people running from God, there will be Nihilism.

I quite like to think of it as a freedom from the trappings of this god character you speak of.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Assi wrote:

DC wrote:

Well, wouldn't an absolute nihilist embrace death and try leap into nonexistence (nihilism)?

You show me an absolute nihilist and I'll show you a liar.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

DC wrote:
Assi wrote:

DC wrote:

How's that? Anyone can be an absolute nihilist. If life is without meaning, and nothing is better than anything else, then an individual can do absolutely anything and maintain consistency with nihilist beliefs. It's essentially no better to kill yourself than to live a life devoted to hedonism or accumulating wealth or crime or charity, or to live a "normal" life with a common job and raise a family, or to go retreat into the woods and go ascetic, or to be a community leader. So why kill yourself? You'll just move from one pointless state (existence) to another pointless state (nonexistence), which accomplishes nothing. Naturally, that would be just as good as living a life and accomplishing something, but certainly not better. So you might as well just toss a coin for it. Or not, since it doesn't matter anyway.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:13 pm

shrox wrote:

Pff, not with their organs being worth several million dollars on Ebay. Perhaps, like the movie 24 Hours In London, let the right con-artists find out who's a nihilist, get a doctor to stand by for their kidneys etc., get a workable short con to get them in private under sedative, and bam - lots of black-market organ money for all involved! No icey bathtub needed either - just take the heart and lungs as well and call it a day.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Assi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

DC wrote:
Assi wrote:

DC wrote:

I know that absolute nihilism is a great extreme, it's more of something to think about than to worry.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:42 pm

Obres wrote:
DC wrote:

How's that? Anyone can be an absolute nihilist. If life is without meaning, and nothing is better than anything else, then an individual can do absolutely anything and maintain consistency with nihilist beliefs. It's essentially no better to kill yourself than to live a life devoted to hedonism or accumulating wealth or crime or charity, or to live a "normal" life with a common job and raise a family, or to go retreat into the woods and go ascetic, or to be a community leader. So why kill yourself? You'll just move from one pointless state (existence) to another pointless state (nonexistence), which accomplishes nothing. Naturally, that would be just as good as living a life and accomplishing something, but certainly not better. So you might as well just toss a coin for it. Or not, since it doesn't matter anyway.

Ok.

Simple test.

Go and find a cliff that rises out of water where the water depth is at least 30 ft. (If you are lazy just go to Thailand)

Now climb ten feet up that cliff and jump off.

Now climb twenty feet up that cliff and jump off.

Now climb thirty...

etc...

... Getting high now.

... Ow that hurts.

... f**k it, I like living, I'll buy the drinks.

A true nihilist would not stop before he died, but everybody stops. The 'alpha males' and the 'self confessed nihilists' tend to stop far, far earlier than everyone else. Go and prove me wrong.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:55 pm

DC wrote:
Obres wrote:
DC wrote:

Ok.

Simple test.

Go and find a cliff that rises out of water where the water depth is at least 30 ft. (If you are lazy just go to Thailand)

Now climb ten feet up that cliff and jump off.

Now climb twenty feet up that cliff and jump off.

Now climb thirty...

etc...

... Getting high now.

... Ow that hurts.

... f**k it, I like living, I'll buy the drinks.

A true nihilist would not stop before he died, but everybody stops. The 'alpha males' and the 'self confessed nihilists' tend to stop far, far earlier than everyone else. Go and prove me wrong.

Again, your premise is fundamentally flawed. And it would appear that you didn't actually read the post which you're responding to.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Obres wrote:
Again, your premise is fundamentally flawed. And it would appear that you didn't actually read the post which you're responding to.

I did and I don't see how it is flawed. Honestly.

A true nihilist should not care if his state changes from living to not living, he should not care if he goes from a painless state to a painful state. It is all pointlessly the same right?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shrox wrote:

Pff, not with their organs being worth several million dollars on Ebay. Perhaps, like the movie 24 Hours In London, let the right con-artists find out who's a nihilist, get a doctor to stand by for their kidneys etc., get a workable short con to get them in private under sedative, and bam - lots of black-market organ money for all involved! No icey bathtub needed either - just take the heart and lungs as well and call it a day.

Geez! I meant a restaurant run by Nihilists FOR Nihilists. Since they don't care, hours would be erratic, the food would be crap, and they probably wouldn't pay the lease, the restaurant would get bad reviews, closed due to not payment of rent, then the Nihilist patrons would starve.

An opportunity for a chain franchise?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

dopplercb wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
The thing about nihilists is that they don't care.

kinda true. I don't care, but then again I am depressed, so that is probably a manifestation of that.

I feel the same way.

I'm not going to try to explain my ideas. I'm not in the right frame of mind for it right now, but you could say some of them are nihilistic.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

Assi wrote:
If a nihilist would defend itself would one actually be an absolute nihilist?

I wouldn't think of that being funny as it would imply that there isn't an absolute nihilist being threatened.

well, the issue is wether a nihilist is invoking their rights at a given moment, as well as invoking wrongness and unfairness at the same situation, when they are being affected or their loved ones are being affected, I mean, their actions and invocations will look to contradict their philosophy, and it looks funny for the non-nihilist or anti-nihilist perspective.