Why are Many Heterosexual Parents so Lousy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:16 pm

Just in the last five hours, I have come across five articles of heterosexual parents doing horrible things to their children. I was not even looking for any articles on this subject, I was browsing news sites randomly.

Look, my parents were good to me, so I am not going to generalize. An OVERWHELMING majority of straight parents are good parents. But I never have come across an article where a homosexual couple abused their child or ward. I know there must be at least one case, but it is such a rarity.

I would bet that, if you took the percentages that homosexual parents would be kinder and more loving to the children they look after than heterosexual parents.

I think that, because homosexual couples have to WANT children to have them, they make much better parents since they are ready for the responsibility.

Anyone care to discuss? I just feel I need more perspective.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

My mom is a lesbian, she's wonderful. My dad is straight and he sucked when he was in my life. Nothing more to really say in my case...

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

I think it is just a matter of sheer numbers. There are simply more heterosexual couples (being gay is a normal variation of healthy human sexuality - but it is still a minority). Of these greater numbers - there will be a greater number of less-than-effective parents. Also, many publications will chose to concentrate on heterosexual parents because their target audience is heterosexual.

If you perused publications that target homosexual partners - you might find articles about bad parenting among this demographic as well.

Also, even liberal publications that have a broad target audience of people of all sexual orientation might be reluctant to feature articles on bad parenting of people with non-traditional (i.e. male/female parented families) because featuring a homosexual parents who are doing a poor job might contribute to the negative bias of some segments of society (e.g. the religious right and people ignorant of the variations of normal within human sexuality and what makes a family).

I think that there are good parents and bad parents from all parts of the sexuality spectrum.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
I think it is just a matter of sheer numbers. There are simply more heterosexual couples (being gay is a normal variation of healthy human sexuality - but it is still a minority). Of these greater numbers - there will be a greater number of less-than-effective parents. Also, many publications will chose to concentrate on heterosexual parents because their target audience is heterosexual.

If you perused publications that target homosexual partners - you might find articles about bad parenting among this demographic as well.

Also, even liberal publications that have a broad target audience of people of all sexual orientation might be reluctant to feature articles on bad parenting of people with non-traditional (i.e. male/female parented families) because featuring a homosexual parents who are doing a poor job might contribute to the negative bias of some segments of society (e.g. the religious right and people ignorant of the variations of normal within human sexuality and what makes a family).

I think that there are good parents and bad parents from all parts of the sexuality spectrum.

Took the words straight out of my mouth lol. That's exactly what I wanted to say.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

Go queer families :)

I feel they can provide more love and attention, as it is harder to have a family.

8)

But yes there will be bad and good parents, queer and straight.

mmm two men bringing up kids, imagine that... lol... you'll always have someone to build a bookcase :P

anyway It is interesting... I know a gay couple who are in an open relationship, and they have children. I guess open relationships are more common in the gay world. they hide that part of their relationship from their teenage children.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

kiwi wrote:
mmm two men bringing up kids, imagine that... lol... you'll always have someone to build a bookcase :P

I think that every time I had to build a book case it was actually my Mom doing it with me :lol:

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

hehe

yeah... See it is a "household chore" lol I was playing Scattergories for the first time the other night at a friends place ;) (with two others) lol
yeah the letter was B, and under household chore I put Building a bookcase :) (two points - two words starting with B)

mmm...

Yeah... I made my own bookcase in the wardrobe, it's one thing I have a lot of. I should write an article on earthquake proof bookcases. hehe and I could even handout flyers to the Christchurch Libraries mmm :)

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

Personally I've never known of any homosexual couples raising kids, but I've known plenty of heterosexual couples who do a lousy job of it.

It seems to me like maybe homosexual couples would do a better job because they would have to put a lot of effort into getting a child of their own and that shows that they are ready to do the best they can as a parent. Too many heterosexual couples are having sex without considering the consequences and popping out kids that they never really wanted, and that leads to all sorts of problems in the family.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

There seems to be a risk of overgeneralization here.

The vast majority of parents are heterosexuals, yes. But that is a function of the vast majority of people being heterosexuals, and the proposensity of homosexuals to opt out of parenting. It is only sheer force of numbers that dictates that the vast majority of any particular type of parent is going to be heterosexual. That includes both lousy parents and good parents.

There are plenty of homosexual parents who became parents through heterosexual conception--those who didn't come out until well after parenting; those who had a brief heterosexual relationship; those who have agreed to act as donors or surrogates for others. Even if we restrict ourselves to adoptive parents, there is still nothing inherently superior about homosexual parents--heterosexual parents have to jump through the same hoops and meet the same standards as homosexual parents.

At the end of the day, I see nothing inherent in heterosexuality that suggests a tendency to lousy parenting, nor anything inherent in homosexuality to suggest a tendency to good parenting. All parents, regardless of their sexuality, learn on the job, each and every day.