Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Shivan
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2011, 6:51 am

I really need help dealing with my agoraphobia. I wanted to continue to contribute to society after I lost my job and so I began volunteering as a leader of a workshop for self management for people with chronic illnesses. I think leading the workshops are causing panic attacks. At what point do you give up? I'm so tired of fighting all of the time. For the last year, I've been trying to make myself go outside for a few minutes everyday. It doesn't seem to be getting any better or easier. Does anyone have any other ideas that might help me get through? Is it ever going to get easier? :cry:

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

This kind of thing is hard to self treat, because you're usually the worst judge of how hard you're pushing yourself and/or where your stress is really coming from. A psychologist is kind of like a personal trainer in that regard; when we want to give up, they push us to go further. If your finances don't allow for help like that, then set goals for yourself, like "I will stay outside for 10 minutes today, no matter what." That way, you can at least gauge how far along you're coming.

ShadeX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

Shivan wrote:
I really need help dealing with my agoraphobia. I wanted to continue to contribute to society after I lost my job and so I began volunteering as a leader of a workshop for self management for people with chronic illnesses. I think leading the workshops are causing panic attacks. At what point do you give up? I'm so tired of fighting all of the time. For the last year, I've been trying to make myself go outside for a few minutes everyday. It doesn't seem to be getting any better or easier. Does anyone have any other ideas that might help me get through? Is it ever going to get easier? :cry:

I've totally been there. It does actually get easier. First off it gets very much easier with someone to go out with. If you dont have a significant other, or friends, ask to hang out with a family member. The other thing is for me i hated going out for 2 reasons. 1 is that it seemed i had more fun staying in doors. That i solved by going to do things that i've never done before (anything from seeing a new exhibit at a museum, to crashing a gospel festival). the other way i solved that is i got a mp3 player and headphones. What ended up happening was that i was already stressed, and when i went outside i would hear all these noises from birds chirping to cars go by. Combined with my already negative attitude and stress level i would start to get overstimulated. When i put on the headphones i didnt have those problems, and it became alot more fun to take a walk or go out. I then started to find new music and only let myself listen to it when i went out. It made going out actually an activity i looked forward to.

Now i go out 2-3 times a week and its gotten back to what i feel is normal for me and acceptable. Not sure if it will work for you, but i hope it helps. Let me know if it does work :)