Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

I started seeing a new doctor yesterday who put me on a low dose of Fluoxetine (Prozac) for mild depression, anxiety, and obsessive behaviors. Has anyone else ever had any experience with fluoxetine for these issues? Did it work? Any side effects that you had?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

I am on fluoxetine at the moment, and have been since December. It hasn't completely transformed me, but I haven't been very depressed at all since I started taking it. Of course it effects everyone differently, but I've found it to be brilliant and frankly quite lifesaving, since I was on the brink of suicide right before I started taking it.

Has it helped with anxiety? Not so much. But that's just me.

Side-effects I had were minor stomach aches and extreme drowsiness. I had to sleep in the middle of the day, everyday. But these effects went away shortly.

I was terrified of getting side-effects, but they weren't so bad.

martynbrown1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2011, 1:30 pm

It reduces the effects of all of those things. The only side effect that I have had was a bit of tiredness.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

It hasn't really cheered me up aas far as I can tell but I am quite tied a lot, but I think that's just from lack of structure to the day.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

I reacted poorly to Prozac but not everyone does. For me it didn't reduce any symptoms (I'm not sure it really had the possibility to, because I think it was misdiagnosed anxiety that wasn't really there anyways), and caused me to forget random things. I'd remember to do homework but forget to turn it in. It was problematic.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Yeah that particular drug did not sit well with me.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2011, 5:07 pm

I've been on Prozac a few times over the last ten years, it is always the SSRI I fall back on. The side effects I experience are lack of appetite, stomach ache, tiredness, and depending on the dose, sexual dysfunction.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Manguy89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2011, 5:04 am

It wrked a bit for me. But I had a sever mental breakdown on it and refused to continue it's use... But not every ssri works for everyone. Good luck my friend!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Sep 2011, 5:40 am

Was on it for about two months, did nothing for me and had some sexual side effects.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

I'm on 10mg of Prozac for the OCD aspects of high functioning autism. I have noticed a few effects (not necessarily all "side effects", but here they are:

Positives:

1) I am less troubled by things like noticing a burned out light bulb in a public place, which potentially without Prozac can cause me to dwell on it so much as to lose track of whatever I'm supposed to be doing

2) I tend to have a "longer fuse" when it comes to getting irritated with someone

3) A certain aspect of what goes on in the bedroom, takes MUCH longer, which my wife very much appreciates :wink: .\

Negatives:

1) I love to get all fired up about political issues, and write articles for the local papers, etc... With the Prozac, I don't seem to have the fire in the belly to do that so much.

2) adding to item (3) in the Positives which can sometimes go to the extreme (not a good thing), especially if I'm taking certain brands of generic Prozac... Lack of drive, and actually taking TOO long, and both of us quitting.

Charles

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

I tried it, but the only thing it did was make me extremely sweaty! ha! That was not what I was looking for, so I stopped.

SilentOwlScribe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

I am currently on 20mg (can't remember exactly) and it has worked pretty well. My depression has...um, well I am not as depressed as I have been. The main side effect I had noticed was that I would get really tired and would have to nap during the day. I think that it seems to be pretty common. It's reliable though.

"Walden" from Henry D. Thoreau

Skype username: SilentOwlScribe

Neotokyomushroom

02 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm

I have been taking 20mg fluoxetine for the past 16 years. I have not noticed any side effects and it has stemmed my major depressive disorder.

However that is my experience, others may have different reactions.

CantExplain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

gramirez wrote:
I started seeing a new doctor yesterday who put me on a low dose of Fluoxetine (Prozac) for mild depression, anxiety, and obsessive behaviors. Has anyone else ever had any experience with fluoxetine for these issues? Did it work? Any side effects that you had?

I took Prozac for many years (not sure exactly how many - maybe ten?). It held me together while I did psychotherapy, and now I don't need it any more. (But ask me again in winter!)

I found that Prozac interfered with sex, but it helped if I took my pills after making love and not before.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

I've been on 20mg Prozac since April and it has really helped my depression and anxiety. I don't have to take my clonazepam very often now (like maybe 3 times per month) whereas I was taking it twice per day before. I feel a little more tired while taking it, but it is well worth it for me. I haven't had any other side effects that stuck around after the first month. I think I was nauseous for a week or two after starting it, but that went away. It's been the best antidepressant I've taken, although it's different for everyone. I hope it helps you as well as it has helped me!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 9:56 pm

Since this thread was bumped, I might as well update my experiences. I've been on Prozac since I started this thread, so about 3 months. It has really made a dramatic difference. My anxiety is almost non-existant and I'm in a much better mood. The dose was upped once, to 20 mg and has been that way since early October. All around it's been great.