Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

The oddest thing happened last night. My niece was spending the night with me, and we were trying to pick out a movie. She has a severe learning disability and has a lot of trouble reading and understanding things (age 12), so I was reading her the descriptions of a few movies I taped. One had the word archaeologist in the description. Believe it or not, I actually use this word quite frequently (I am partly studying anthropology in university), and have never-since I was a kid-had trouble pronouncing it. Last night though, I was trying over and over and over again to say this word, and I was saying "oh my goodness! I can't remember it! Why can't I say it! I know this word!" I must have tried for at least 10 minutes to read this, and finally my niece shocked me and said, "you mean, arch-e-ol-o-gist." The word was RIGHT in front of me (I am an advanced reader), and I still could not pronounce it. And I last used it properly probably less than a week ago.

What is going on here? Does this ever happen to anyone else?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 1:23 am

Quote:
Ever forget how to pronounce a word

yes

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

01 Sep 2011, 1:32 am

My brain and my tongue will fight each other over the proper pronunciation of "gyro". :tongue:
(Lucky I prefer to eat vegetarian. :lol: )

I once used the word "precision" in a conversation with my employer, only I slurred my S's and R's,
so it sounded like "pwethishion", and I was so embarrassed by my failure that I said the word out loud five more times in rapid succession,
until I finally pronounced it right.
That was not my most professional moment. :oops:

Last edited by Fatal-Noogie on 01 Sep 2011, 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Sep 2011, 1:33 am

This happens to me, although somewhat rarely.

Not nearly as often as forgetting a word entirely, or accidentally substituting the wrong word.

Kiana
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2011, 4:47 am

occasionally,

I often have trouble getting a word out, and just end up giving up

I very often say totally the wrong word for something, my kids find it funny, I find it embarrassing and frustrating, I also regularly say something backwards with out realising e.g do you want a tup of kea? or do you want a tea of cup, sometimes even when someone tells me I did it it sounded correct to me. I have no idea if this is an aspie thing or not, my grandfather used to do it too and I am fairly convinced he had aspergers

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 7:19 am

Yeah I know this in reading and speech. It might not be the same phenomenon, I'm not sure.

I had asked about it based on a specific example on WP in 2009 here.

It happens to me sometimes and I figured that it happens to me in reading too because it's a speech/language problem. I don't know if it's a speech issue or a language deficit that manifests in speech. I know how to pronounce the words I struggle with like that, but they won't always come out right. If somebody pronounces a word I get wrong or can't complete correctly, I get it right after some tries or ignore it and go on.

It was harder in childhood. I'd just try and try and try, absolutely wanting to get it right which then presented as described in that old topic.

There are more words from way back that I apparently struggled with in ways that has my mom giggling at the memories. I can't remember myself. The issues were rarely highlighted at home so my first definite memories of speech/language difficulties are from school.

I don't know if it's apraxia of speech, cluttering or something else.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

I bungle spoken words too, though not often. It's interesting how they come out. The same thing can happen to me with spelling. Sometimes I just can't get the letters together even though I know better.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

Yeah, I'll do that sometimes. I have no idea why and it bothers me too.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

No, but a lot of times I'll try using a word in speech that I usually only read in books and/or use online, and I'll realize I have no idea how to pronounce it :oops:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Not the wrong word so much as blanking out all together. Forgetting the names of people I've known for years. Losing common words midsentence. I do stumble over the pronunciation of words I've never said outloud before. I may have the correct pronunciation in my mental voice but trying to get the mouth to cooperate is a challenge.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

I don't think this has ever really happened to me. but, I have forgotten to spell ridiculously simple words, like 'if'.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

yes, sometimes it happens to me as well. I forget how to pronounce words, say them, or read them. Even simple words for some reason. Sometimes I am better at the more advanced words than the simple words but other times it can be both that I struggle with. It hasn't happened for awhile though at least I think. My memory sucks.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

Yes.

I also have trouble with saying the wrong word. What comes out of my mouth is not what's in my head; and sometimes, I'm not even aware of it. I end up saying something that is not what I mean at all.