Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

I noticed in some people especially ladies, and myself, with AS seem to have distinct facial features that must be related either to AS or being born prematurely... Bags or underdeveloped under-eyes.. That particular area of the face looks kind of 'alien' or elfish...

It's that part of the eye and eyebrow that looks kind of upturned

http://cdn.wrongplanet.net/images/kirst ... adshot.png
http://cdn.wrongplanet.net/images/attv_ ... better.png (middle girl)

as well as part of the jaw/cheek jowl and underneath the area of the lips next to the chin that is slightly more indented than average... Also some parts of the cheek area that are more wrinkled than normal...
Is it me or do some people with ASD's have alien-ish features... I think it looks cool kinda like, having an interesting or distinct face. I think it's what makes people with ASD look childish, is that subtle distinction of the face. People must sense a 'difference'.
Tho I think some people especially men with ASD also have over-masculine features such as the nose or jaw or brow curvature ie the testosterone hypothesis...

Thoughts? Comments?

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Interesting thought we'd need a big study with lots of participants to see if it's real.

At this point the textbooks say there is nothing in terms of appearance that distinguishes people on the spectrum.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

Yes i think autism on the basic level means having a diffrent brain than most. If we could see the brain as well as the face and body it might be clear. Given MRI machines and or brain imagers do not fit in your pocket makes that kind of hard. Maybe a remote eeg brain wave reader ?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

Bogus.

Phrenology was once used in an attempt to identify criminals, even going so far as to predict the type of crime the person was likely to commit. This pseudo-science has been thoroughly debunked, and now you want to resurrect it for identifying people with AS?

What for, so we can all be rounded up into AS ghettos for slave labor and possible extermination?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

I have the under eye thing.

I neither look alien-ish or childish though.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

My face has those features. My muscle tone isn't the greatest though, and that's true for my facial muscles as well - I think the features you're seeing could be a result of lower muscle tone, which I remember seeing a few people mention they had problems with.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

I have shadows under my eyes, and high-placed eyebrows, but that's it.
My mom says I look my age. Darn!

TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

According to the Neanderthal theory, Aspies have a higher neandertal genetical sequences than average, that mean all that: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread ... al-are-you

Pure speculation of course, but well...

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bogus.

Phrenology was once used in an attempt to identify criminals, even going so far as to predict the type of crime the person was likely to commit. This pseudo-science has been thoroughly debunked, and now you want to resurrect it for identifying people with AS?

What for, so we can all be rounded up into AS ghettos for slave labor and possible extermination?

Nah, probably just so we can identify each other and give each other the secret handshake...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

*Feels face in a panic*

Umm....no, my eyebrows are actually quite straight. And NTs have curved eyebrows - I wish I did. They look nicer.

I wasn't born prematurely. In fact, I was born several days late from the due date.

I don't have any alien features.

And that thing about Aspies having big pupils is thrown around a lot on WP, and I sort of believed it, since every time I looked in the mirror I seemed to have big pupils. I got upset because it's bad enough being mentally unique, without being physically unique aswell. But the other day when I was waiting in the bus stop I got my pocket mirror out to see if there was anything round my mouth, and I saw that my pupils were really small, which made me feel better.

But otherwise no I don't have any different facial features. I just look like my dad, who is NT.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2011, 5:28 pm

Fnord wrote:

Well, some facial appearances are associated with certain conditions: Down's Syndrome, DeLange Syndrome, Lesch-Nyhan, cretinism, etc.

Also see the thread on WP about 'Aspie eyes'. Maybe real, maybe not, who knows until there's a study with a tonne of samples.

Somewhat related: -
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGhDPhaRrc[/youtube]

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

I see absolutely no difference in aspie eyes as compared to NT eyes.

Although, the amount of information I receive from looking into the eyes is minimal, almost negligible.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

Any population sample will have a slight common appearence seperating them from the rest of the population. So any similarities we see between autistics is purely coincedental.

I suspect the idea that autistics tend to look younger or more childish for there age has some stock, but only because this is more to di with the actual naturity levels of the autistic, as opposed to the appearence.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

I do not think it should be rendered a useless idea. In my research there appears to be some differences. And the differences tend to be related to the functioning level of the person with an ASD. They've proven that people on the spectrum have larger than average head size. Maybe that has to do with the facial features that somehow come out. Personally I have a prominent nose and brow with a long face and large head. Very "alien" shaped or "elvish" as well. My functioning level has always been moderate at best. Just saying.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

Well if there are any physical features in Autistic people, they don't stick out like people with Down's Syndrome. I know a person has Down's Syndrome instantly when I look at them first time, but I wouldn't know that somebody was Autistic, unless they were flapping their hands around or something like that what is commonly known in Autistics. But that's not a physical feature.

I was diagnosed at 8, so I've known about Autism since I was 8, and I have seen many doctors, therapists, support counsellors, psychiatrists, and I had a really good special needs support worker all through school who was a very proffessional person, and she had an Autistic son herself. And nobody ever said anything about physical features related to my diagnosis. The first ever time I heard about all this is here on WP.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

Mwahahaha.

I don't know but if it's true then Olivia Wilde DEFINITELY has Asperger's.