Do you think that the United States is evil?

Page 6 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Do you think that the United States is evil?
Yes 42%  42%  [ 28 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 67

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

John_Browning wrote:
carturo222 wrote:
The CIA was running around there but Pinochet did that on his own. The University of Chicago had a bigger hand in forming that government than the CIA.
I didn't mention the CIA. I said that substituting Pinochet for Allende was a U.S.-backed move. My point was that the U.S. believes itself entitled to forcing a regime change abroad when it doesn't like how the public voted.

Their reservations are semi-sovereign except in California.
And you think that's a good thing? The least they deserve out of basic decency should be full sovereignty and equal treatment, from independent nation to independent nation.

The Mexican-American war was started when 2000 Mexican infantrymen crossed the Rio Grande, fortified a position about 15 miles north of modern day Brownsville, and ambushed a large U.S. Cavalry scouting party.
They did it to try to recover the former Republic of Texas, which had declared itself independent after receiving an overwhelming influx of illegal U.S. settlers. Then, U.S. forces used the war as an occasion to grab the strategically valuable land of California, which they had wanted to take since before the war. A land cession treaty signed at gunpoint can't be justly termed an agreement. And the word Colorado had already been applied to the river since Spanish colonial times.

Concealed handgun licenses is just a response to street crime. The gangs hate each other, but you should understand intimately how that works being in Columbia.
Just to advance the flow of the argument I'll forgive your misspelling of the name of my country, and your insulting implication that living there automatically makes me acquainted with how street gangs operate. To answer your point: the vicious circle of gun ownership - gun use - more gun ownership is so enmeshed in U.S. society that I don't see a solution emerging anytime soon. Removing the causes of violence beforehand is preferable to sweeping the debris afterwards.

It's the country where suing each other is a viable livelihood.
All Caucasian countries tend to be bad about that. It's a side effect of not having a totally corrupt government ordering you what to do to start with.
The U.S. is not a Caucasian country. Granted, its institutions are mostly European, but its people and its culture are a blend of scores of countries and races.

If I had my way I'd leave those people unemployed and bring all those jobs back to the US.
If people who share your view had their way, they'd leave the entire world population famished and take all exploitable resources to the U.S.

Most of our military operations since WWII have been peacekeeping missions and international efforts.
The U.S. lost the right to call itself a peacekeeping force when it monumentally brought shame and infamy to itself in Vietnam. Many U.S. people don't even know that you actually lost the Vietnam War. Even other, less odious occasions are dubious; peace by violent means is a contradiction many U.S. hawks are still blind to. The Iraq intervention, besides being illegitimate and totally uncalled for, has been a disaster since the beginning and can only end disastrously.

The only people who really hate us no matter what we do are out to make the world pray towards Mecca at gunpoint!
No, they're not the only ones. You don't even begin to imagine the real amount of people hating the U.S. across the world right now.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
carturo222 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Really, don't be surprised if you find out there is more resentment against the US in south America than in the Arab world.

Being a Colombian, I think I can offer an insider's view on that.
I can too.

You know what? It wasn't US who invented the bulb. It was someone contemporaneity to Edison and Edison was the one who spent years trying to find the best way to do it.

An English inventor, last name Swan, invented the first working electrical incandescent glow lamp. But Edison found a way to manufacture in large numbers so it could be sold cheaply and it was Edison who designed a power system that could keep the glow lamps lit up on a large scale. Which is why Edison is remembered and Swan is not.

ruveyn